Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Can I Mod and Still Keep My Warranty Intact?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing with the dealer not being able to find about a tune if you uninstall the AP is something you must be careful with when talking about it. Ive seen threads here of people saying they are 100% sure that the dealer wont see the tune as long as you uninstall the AP but I dont know about that. Ive talked to people from both dealers in my city and people who used to work for the dealership and since they dont anymore Id imagine they wouldnt have a reason to lie about it but they all said the same thing with almost the same words. Mitsu can tell if you have/had a tune in your car so they can void your warranty.

Im just saying what Ive heard from my local dealers but yea. People posting the opposite can lead to someone getting his warranty denied pretty bad!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Forgive, but you are a regional rep's wet dream, both for what you seem to believe and for saying it in public.

You really, really, really need to learn what the federal law is regarding warranty denials.

Here's a half-way decent place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

ps. if you actually understand warranties and just express yourself poorly in writing, apologies for reaming you for the wrong thing.
Iowa is correct. You do NOT void your warranty simply by putting non-OEM parts on the car. The only time the warranty would not apply is if the non-OEM part in question caused the failure.

For Example - you install a crappy open-element foam airfilter. The foam degrades and gets sucked into the intake and destroys your turbo. The Dealership has every right to deny replacing the turbo under warranty as the failure was caused by your non-OEM part. And you are a horrible person for asking them to. Seriously, you are screwing it up for the rest of us.

If you take your car into the dealership because the headliner is sagging, they cannot deny your claim based on your fake HID blue headlight bulbs. They cannot deny the warranty because you have replaced the windshield wiper blades with a non-OEM part.

Now, they can TRY. They can tell you they arent going to honor the warranty. You now have to write letters to corporate, file in small claims court or hire a lawyer.

So it is safe to say that modifying your car can cause you problems with warranty work, even if the failure is not related to your non-OEM parts. That is not the same thing as saying the warranty is void.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Small claims court doesn't work, the reason? You signed an agreement binding you to arbitration. You have to file a claim with the governing arbitration organization in your area. At that point you will have some leverage
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:14 AM

Think I'm going to hold off on any mods for now, or wait until I'm through the basic warranty, if at all. It's my DD, and while I would love for the EVO to have more oomph, it's still not a bad car. I took a lot of things into consideration before purchasing it as a DD, going from a CTS-V to a M6 to the EVO. The CTS-V and M6 were awesome cars to drive, ultra high performance, but they weren't going to be good cars to drive in the DC area winters, even with dedicated snow tires. Plus the maintenance on the M6 was going to be quite a lot. Gas mileage on both were worse than the EVO. And if I mod the EVO then my gas mileage probably drops down to the level of the CTS-V and M6. It's a trade off you have to make. Yeah, when someone in a GT500 or ZL1 goes flying by me, I kind of grit my teeth, but then think, if I were in my GT-R it would be game over for those guys, as well as more than 95% of anything else on the road.

On the bright side, I'm working with a guy now to try to upgrade the interior to Alcantara. If I can get that done, it's going to be a quality looking machine on the inside!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jojipoji
Small claims court doesn't work, the reason? You signed an agreement binding you to arbitration. You have to file a claim with the governing arbitration organization in your area. At that point you will have some leverage
Without turning this into a legal blog, a couple of comments. First, maybe the OP opted out of binding arbitration. You have that option in many cases (although most people just do what the salesperson tells them and checks Yes on the form when there is an option). Second, it's been going back and forth in state and federal courts for years as to whether binding arbitration is barred by the MMWA. Where this stands right now in the OP's state (and/or federal district) is something that he or she would have to check. Finally, in most cases, the consumer does not get to choose the arbitrator; the seller does (since the seller is paying for it). So, if you are forced to use arbitration, check which one you're supposed to file with.

As always, I am not a lawyer, but I can read.

Last edited by Iowa999; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Wldn't the boost pill also have to be removed cause i'm sure Mitsu would notice that even with tune set back to factory?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:00 PM

Stick with the basics if your are supremely worried about your warranty. I echo the above posts and say that a) find a dealership that plays the warranties fast and loose in your favor and b) uicp licp springs wheels tires short ram intake (can easily be taken off and factory box can be refitted) or panel filter. Youll likely be safe, generally speaking. If you tune, have a way to go back to factory and def ask your dealer if theyre ok with that. Over the phone. Dont tell them who you are. =)