Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Changes

Where are people on these forums getting their oil changes from? Do you take it in to the dealership and have to wait a day? I'm due for my first oil change soon and I have a coupon for a $35 first service. I think that I'll use the coupon for my first service, but I'm not too sure what do do after that. I'm concerned about keeping my warranty intact. Thanks for the help! -- Snow
Old Sep 4, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do my own oil changes, occasionally when im lazy i take it to the dealership and they charge me $15 but I provide fluid and filter. im also friends with the service department so they give me a discount. if your worried about warranty have them do it everytime since the record it
Old Sep 4, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

They can't void your warranty for you not getting your oil changed at the dealership. They might "infer" it to get you pay there over-inflated prices, but its not true.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

I do it myself. Its quicker and cheaper than going to any shop. Plus I know its done right.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

I also got a coupon for a free oil change at the dealership, I made an appointment after work and I waited about 30 minutes for it to get done. So far so good with the dealership but I'm also wondering about where to go since the dealership isn't that close to me...I should learn how to do it myself but I'm afraid I'll forget to tighten something and eff up the car...that's just me! Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
They can't void your warranty for you not getting your oil changed at the dealership. They might "infer" it to get you pay there over-inflated prices, but its not true.
^me too. I am waaaaay more careful and smarter about car care than the dealership.

Buy the long ramps (rhino ramps). It makes it a breeze
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

I drive mine up on some ramps and do it myself. Super easy. Just remove the single panel with about the 7 or so 10mm bolts and your good to go. I actually just changed mine on friday.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm too cheap to buy ramps so I just jack it up onto the stands (don't forget to block the rear tires and pull the hand brake, just in case).

There's a panel underneath that you have to undo with like 10 screws. Unless you have a freakishly strong grip from tons of fapping, I would get one of those filter wrenches that grab around the filter with 2-3 jaws then has an insert at the bottom to attach an extension to your wrench since it's about 6" inside this well.

Aside from that, it's pretty easy and quick. By the time I drive down there, wait, drive home, I could've done it while I made dinner in the evening. Also, I feel better doing it myself knowing I used good oil and a good filter. Also, the last time I took it in for one of those free oil changes, they put 10w-30 mobil-1 in there instead of 5w-30, no biggie since it was summer but it still bugs me. Just make sure you keep a log and the receipts along with mileage/date.

Plus it's cheaper too, dealer normally charges something like 60 bucks for 5 qts synthetic. I got 5 qts of pennzoil ultra for 18 bucks at walmart.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:23 PM

Route 46 Mitsubishi in NJ gives you free oil changes for life with the purchase of your vehicle. So yea...dealership for life for me!
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I used to jack too - once you have the ramps - you'll never go back!!