Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)

I have a 2006 Evolution IX MR I kept it all stock ever since I bought it at White Plains, NY Mitsubishi Dealer. Why mod it and void a bumper to bumper 5 year or60,000 warranty. Also 100,000 mile warranty kicks in after that. Thats like spending money now on mods, in order to have something fail and have to pay to fix stuff later because I voided my warranty by fiddling with my engine.

The only mods I have are interior updates: Orbital Kit, Pioneer Avic Z2 with Blue Tooth and XM/Navgation module under the seat. 2 Alpine PDX Amplifiers in the trunk along with JL W6v2 Sub in custom fiberglass WickedCas Sub Enclosure. and 2 Pairs of Focal K2P Component speakers.

The only thing so far I had to change is replaced clutch at 15000 miles to a stock clutch thats been lasting so far at 40000. Actually thinking of deleting UK style emblems on the trunk and putting the stock ones back on. Also debating on taking out Orbital and going stock on the dash board as well so I can finally find a spot for stock Sport Meter gauges.

Anyone else keeping their EVo stock? Would love to hear some stories!

Ah Forget to add, I have Fiberglass Side Mirror covers, lower rear molding side Fiberglass covers. And rear bumper license plate Fiberglass cover. Armrest fibverglass cover all from Lancershop. Figured those can be taken off anytime for a stock look. Ralliart radiator cover.

Last edited by futureal; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modding it wont void your entire warranty just only the part that directly assiciated with the modified part but if you want to really keep it stock then good for you cause i dont have self control like that hahaha
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

You missing out on the potential of the Evo.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

I buy cars to mod. Luckily I haven't been burned by warranty issues over several cars, including two evos.

That being said, there's something about a stock IX MR that is really cool. It will keep the resa. le high for sure.

I'm not saying you should have done otherwise but if my stock clutch failed at 15k I would upgrade to something that would last longer. Its like replacing the tires with oem advans for daily driving.

Last edited by healthynine; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JonahEVO
You missing out on the potential of the Evo.
Its very tempting! especially when I get smoked by a modded Evo ! Makes me feel like dang it gotta throw in some manifod pipes and air filter and mod the ECU or something of that sort.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

ill take that Orbital off your hands
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
damn.. let me buy this from you later
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by SOEuro
ill take that Orbital off your hands
Some Philipino guy selling it on here for $350, little steep but I guess these things are rare now.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Great job on keeping it stock, I plan to do the same but on my second evo lol
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

nope...being slow is no fun.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by futureal
Anyone else keeping their EVo stock? Would love to hear some stories!
There are few stock Evos on the forum. DN83, for example, has never modded his. Mine is stock-ish: MBC, tune, exhaust, and a set of anti-swaybars. Nothing cosmetic, car and engine bay look factory. I intended to keep it stock - even opted for a set of factory gauges when I ordered the car - but learning a bit about the platform changed my mind. The car drives better now than it did from the factory, but this isn't to say that most modified Evos do. I think there's a point, and it comes fairly quickly, where additional mods compromise the drivability and the reliability of the machine and give very little real benefit in return.

Edit: Forgot to say that I have a BR FMIC, as well. I had it painted to look like stock, well, as much as possible.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added pic
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

not trying to start WW3 here or anything but for the people that say driving a fully modded evo is the way to go, you are actually the ones that are missing the beat about the TRUE POTENTIAL of a evo...

I went from stock to 500 whp in a very short amount of time, never grasping how fast the car is stock...

to prove a point to all who think you are a great driver, head to a real race track and race a professional in a stock evo compared to your modded evo and see how close of a race it really is. I wish i would have learned how to drive the car to is fullest potential stock, the car is very very capable, most just never know it.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo
damn.. let me buy this from you later
I'll consider that, hopefully I wont have to sell it, I want to keep it for at least 30 years. Value is not too bad now NADA.com shows it value at $23,000 give or take not considering $6,000 of stereo equipment in it.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
not trying to start WW3 here or anything but for the people that say driving a fully modded evo is the way to go, you are actually the ones that are missing the beat about the TRUE POTENTIAL of a evo...

I went from stock to 500 whp in a very short amount of time, never grasping how fast the car is stock...

to prove a point to all who think you are a great driver, head to a real race track and race a professional in a stock evo compared to your modded evo and see how close of a race it really is. I wish i would have learned how to drive the car to is fullest potential stock, the car is very very capable, most just never know it.
You know how the Japanese are - all bout in & yang or whatever you call it, The Balance of Nature, They made stock evo's supposedly balanced safety vs performance vs road stability at its best. Thats what really drives me to keep stock. I would mod it only if I can guarantee all of the above meant balance in the car.

Last edited by futureal; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
[OT] A story from some years back: Car and Driver was track testing a Supra. They were running laps and after a time started seeing a white dot in their rearview. After a few more laps, the white dot kept getting closer and closer. Then, finally, they were side by side and realized it was Dan Gurney in a Corolla. [/OT]

Quick Reply: I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)