Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
There are few stock Evos on the forum. DN83, for example, has never modded his.
Yup, mine is still bone stock, nearly five years and 46k miles later. Trust me, I wanted to mod the car, particularly around the time when I first bought it, but at that time, I ended up being between jobs, and when I had a stable income, I was already over it. I even had a set of springs already that were ready to be installed, but I ended up not putting them on and just selling them to someone on socalevo. Even though my income had stabilized, I still wanted to save up money, plus I'd rather not have compromised my warranty in any way just in case there were some big problem.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy more power or heightened handling capabilities, but I can honestly say that I haven't maxed out my Evo to its fullest driving potential in stock form (and I bet the vast majority of modders haven't either), so I don't really have a need to modify it, even though it has crossed my mind many times just because I love the sensation of driving fast. I drove my boss's 2011 BMW 550i (with the twin-turbo V-8 with 400+ hp) yesterday, and for a second I felt like I needed more from my car, but after a few minutes it didn't really bother me.

Also, I drive like a normal human being in a normal car most of the time (as opposed to the drivers who feel the need to drive like Speed Racer whenever the engine is running), so when I do step on it, it still seems just as fast as when I bought it since I never overdid it by stomping on it all the time.

But to each their own. Luckily I happened to get modding out of my system in the late 90s and realized the drawbacks of going that route.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I bought tthe EVO knowing I would be modding it. Warranty was not even on my mind. Hell mitsus denied warranty claims on bone stock cars.

The car does become more fun with minimal mods/money and as FJF mentioned tuning can actually make the car better than it came off the showroom floor. Improving response and being able to hold a bit more boost out top makes a hell of a difference

Even now with 6+ years, over 100k miles and 35r type set up I have no regrets and still love driving and working on the car.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I bought tthe EVO knowing I would be modding it. Warranty was not even on my mind. Hell mitsus denied warranty claims on bone stock cars.

The car does become more fun with minimal mods/money and as FJF mentioned tuning can actually make the car better than it came off the showroom floor. Improving response and being able to hold a bit more boost out top makes a hell of a difference

Even now with 6+ years, over 100k miles and 35r type set up I have no regrets and still love driving and working on the car.
I am considering buying a salvage title Evo off ebay or a junk yard even if its 2003 model or earlier and just to play with it or race it on weekends. Just finances dont allow me to do that now.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
But to each their own. Luckily I happened to get modding out of my system in the late 90s and realized the drawbacks of going that route.
) Was it Honda Civic?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keeping an evo stock is like buying condoms just to jerk off in.... A waste
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

In my case, I went back to 100% stock from basic full bolt on + tune. Only because I needed to get warranty work done. I don't know how long I can stay stock but stock isn't that bad during winter time. Somehow I am saving money too.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Whether you reach the full potential of the car or not the car is much more enjoyable at 350-400whp than when the car was stock at 250whp. I don't track the car, mine only sees the street and the fun factor disappears really quickly on a stock car.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by futureal
) Was it Honda Civic?
No, it was a 1995 Honda Accord EX coupe with the F22. Luckily I did not go through with my plans of swapping an H22 into it, which would've been another few thousand dollars wasted.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

I bought mine new January 2, 2007. It is still bone stock, now with 87k miles. Only thing I've added is a boost gauge so I can monitor and keep an eye out for boost leaks. I am tempted to lower it and get a mbc and tune but its not happening any time soon
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
lol i wanna sub this thread as a list of potential stock evos i'd like to make offers for just in case something ever happens to mine

Originally Posted by futureal
Some Philipino guy selling it on here for $350, little steep but I guess these things are rare now.

better and cheaper set up that orbital in my sig - jdm 2din panel is ~50 and the guy will make the hvac conversion that are OEM appearance for $155
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Keeping an evo stock is like buying condoms just to jerk off in.... A waste
rofl!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on staying stock, the temptation was to much for me and I caved week two after I had my 06 IX lol
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a stock Evo is stupid, the whole point of the platform is how easily it takes to modifications. You can mod the car without impacting its reliability or streetability and get so much more out of it. Stock turbo with intake/dp/exhaust, mbc, and a tune imo is the absolute bare minimum I would do on an Evo. With that setup I was around over 300 whp on the stock clutch with 0 problems. A stock frame turbo like the BBK Full that can safely max out the stock block gets a lot of bang for your buck too. Yes, on a track, a slow car in the hands of a professional will wipe the floor with a fast car in the hands of a novice... but the fast car in the hands of the professional would be even faster.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats cool if you want to keep your evo stock, to each their own. Everyone has their reasons for getting the evo. I wanted to get back into racing and wanted something with potential. Out of my choices the evo made most sense.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

I said the same thing eight years ago haha!

Aaron

Quick Reply: I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)