Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X RS fume smell in car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X RS fume smell in car

Ive read a couple of threads on this forum and found out that there should be some sort of breather behind the subwoofer on the gsr models.
My X RS doesn't have this and there is the big gaping hole to the outside.
Does anyone have a picture of said valve so i know what one should look like, and also is this likely to solve my cabin fume problem?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

May be a dumb question but are you running cats at all? Cars that have all cats remove tend to smell a bit even with windows up.

Also have you done any exhaust work and possibly may have created a leak in the process?

The stock exhaust location should allow for hot exhaust fumes to flow behind the car and up when moving or are still for brief periods of time are you in heavy traffic often?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by EAGLE 5
May be a dumb question but are you running cats at all? Cars that have all cats remove tend to smell a bit even with windows up.

Also have you done any exhaust work and possibly may have created a leak in the process?

The stock exhaust location should allow for hot exhaust fumes to flow behind the car and up when moving or are still for brief periods of time are you in heavy traffic often?
The cats are removed, but i had an VIII MR320 before with no cat and it never smelled like this.
It has an aftermarket exhaust also but there are no leaks.
It only smells when im on boost with the windows down, but it doesn't smell like its coming in through the window.
I was wondering if by having the window down, it creates a vacuum in the car and sucks vapour in from the boot, or am i way off here?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure but try this it's a technique I learned for sucking out mosquitoes in Galveston so should work for fumes.

Drive around with the front windows cracked a little bit that should create a bit of a vacuum behind you and pull in cool and fresh air. If the smell goes away then fumes are getting in the car. Not sure how the RS is laid out we don't have those here (I'm curious on the specs though) so I can't tell you. Does it still have factory carpeting especially in non essential areas like the trunk?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:34 AM

Not sure but try this it's a technique I learned for sucking out mosquitoes in Galveston so should work for fumes.

Drive around with the front windows cracked a little bit that should create a bit of a vacuum behind you and pull in cool and fresh air. If the smell goes away then fumes are getting in the car. Not sure how the RS is laid out we don't have those here (I'm curious on the specs though) so I can't tell you. Does it still have factory carpeting especially in non essential areas like the trunk?
The boot is fully stripped out as standard to save weight, this is why it has no vent. It still has the puncture repair kit etc, but nothing else.
FYI, the RS has a manual 5 speed and a steel rear diff. No AYC but it has the ACD. It doesn't have ABS or any of that, and it doesn't have air con. There are other mods too compared to the GSR models

Ill try your idea
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Cool let me know.

Sounds like the RS is one hell of a daily driver.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:25 AM

Cool let me know.

Sounds like the RS is one hell of a daily driver.
Yeah its got AP callipers and discs and recaro bucket seats too lol
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:28 AM

This is the old girl
Attached Thumbnails Evo X RS fume smell in car-dsc01412.jpg  
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I also started getting a exhaust smell in my car after the TBE. Im running a HFC so not sure about it either.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Foolproof
I also started getting a exhaust smell in my car after the TBE. Im running a HFC so not sure about it either.
Whats a TBE?

Last edited by CaptainCarling; Nov 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCarliing
Whats a TBE and HFC?
Im running a full ETS TBE (turbo back exhaust) with a HFC (High-flow cat) recirc DP. Since the install, i have the smell on boost in 5th and 6th with the windows up or down.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoostInside
Im running a full ETS TBE (turbo back exhaust) with a HFC (High-flow cat) recirc DP. Since the install, i have the smell on boost in 5th and 6th with the windows up or down.
Have a look behind the rear bumper on the left of the car and see if your rear vent duct is still in the hole. Im assuming you have the subwoofer so you can't see from inside your car. If you get underneath at the back you should be able to see
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:02 PM

Have a look behind the rear bumper on the left of the car and see if your rear vent duct is still in the hole. Im assuming you have the subwoofer so you can't see from inside your car. If you get underneath at the back you should be able to see
Lol! Totally forgot about that thing. I yanked the rockford stuff when i got the car, including the sub, and figured it was best to leave it alone.

So, close it up you think?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

This is the old girl

NICE!!! AP brakes huh?

But no good on the steering wheel location. Best way to get run over by a bus in Houston Tx.

Still saying running HFC (the really flowy kinds) and worse No CATs will give your fumes a smell. If ever drive behind someone who is running a car HARD you'll smell something like rotten eggs. It gets worse, much worse, without cats and without having to run the car too hard.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

testpipe?

Quick Reply: Evo X RS fume smell in car