Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rev limiter in Neutral?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev limiter in Neutral?

Hey guys, just had a quick question regarding the Rev limiter on the Evo X. I have never launched the car but was curious on how the stock launch control worked for the GSR. Needless to say, I wasn't aware I needed to have the clutch in plus be in first gear to engage it properly. So when I gave it some gas it shot right up to 7K.

Is there not a limiter set strictly for safety measures in neutral on these cars? I know under load there is but wasn't sure about neutral. Appreciate any help or info. I bought the car new and it's stock btw. I know parameters can be changed via tuners if requested.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think there is any neutral limiter, most other cars have a neutral limiter which is on all the time if the car is not over a certain mph, mitsu engages their via the clutch pedal which basically makes it just a launch limiter but without the clutch being engaged im sure you are able to free rev to whatever you want, of course you should not be doing that often.

the rev limiters can be changed via reflashing.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Clutch in, put it in 1st, press gas and the revs should stick around 5500 or something..
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

You have to hold you traction control button down until the ASC brake is off. Then just clutch, 1st gear, hold gas, and WANNN WANNN WANNN WANNN
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:18 AM

Appreciate the info guys I have never even taken the car to redline (no sense with stock tune) so that took me by surprise when the limiter didn't kick in while in neutral. I won't be modding or launching the car till after my warranty is up regardless (tune, tbe and upgraded clutch and cmc will be the first mods) but just wanted to see the launch control in action.

I have heard free revving can be quite dangerous to the engine so hopefully all is well. I am extremely particular with my car in regards to how its maintained and serviced well ahead of time. My overall goal is to enjoy it while making it last a long long time over anything else (vs a dyno queen or track king). If it was over revved past its given tolerance, wouldn't I have got the PO219 code?

I'm pretty sure I'm perfectly fine just over paranoid, LOL.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterHappy
You have to hold you traction control button down until the ASC brake is off. Then just clutch, 1st gear, hold gas, and WANNN WANNN WANNN WANNN
On what do you base your claim that the ASC button has anything at all to do with the 2-step rev-limiter in an Evo X?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sure the rev limiter (7600 or whatever it is stock) kicks in when in neutral, just not the lower launch limit. I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine the car will just rev to 10k+ in neutral...?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The normal rev limiter (7.6k or so on the IX, imagine it's similar on the X) is active at all times. The stationary rev limiter (AKA launch control, 2-step, whatever you want to call it) is only active when stationary and in gear (which implies the clutch is depressed of course)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Please stop.

We've had threads on this before (e.g., https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-two-step.html ) and we really don't need to go through all the false posts and corrections again. The very first reply in this thread nailed it. Nothing more needed to be said.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
On what do you base your claim that the ASC button has anything at all to do with the 2-step rev-limiter in an Evo X?
He's not saying that it has anything to do with the ASC button.. But you don't want to try to launch it with traction control one.. It won't go well..
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Raptord
The normal rev limiter (7.6k or so on the IX, imagine it's similar on the X) is active at all times. The stationary rev limiter (AKA launch control, 2-step, whatever you want to call it) is only active when stationary and in gear (which implies the clutch is depressed of course)
Is this true? "The normal rev limiter (7.6k or so on the IX, imagine it's similar on the X) is active at all times"

And again, if it was over revved past its given tolerance, wouldn't I have got the PO219 code? Just trying to figure out the facts specifically on the X
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2012_Evo_X_GSR
Is this true? "The normal rev limiter (7.6k or so on the IX, imagine it's similar on the X) is active at all times"
Yes, it's true. Now go read the existing thread I linked to above.