Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First oil change at dealership = conventional oil

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Open your hood and take a look at your red and black engine cover. Look on bottom black part. Next to the dip stick there should be a little silver Mobil 1 sticker that recommends the engine only being used with fully synthetic oil. if you don't have that label then maybe the guy at the dealership is right. However I would still only use fully synthetic no matter what he says. it's worth the extra money over **** conventional oil.

The 2012 and 2013's do not have the sticker like the 08-11's did. I still use synthetic in my '12 GSR.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by nonocei
The 2012 and 2013's do not have the sticker like the 08-11's did. I still use synthetic in my '12 GSR.
I know, I was just letting him know that maybe Mitsubishi did in fact switch it up and only recommend that dealerships use conventional oil.

And good to hear, evo's should only be used with full synthetic....no matter what a mechanic or piece of paper says
Old May 9, 2013, 10:55 PM

Putting conventional oil in your Evo is like taking your date to McDonalds... she won't be hungry anymore but do you really want to take her to McDonalds.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXChii
Putting conventional oil in your Evo is like taking your date to McDonalds... she won't be hungry anymore but do you really want to take her to McDonalds.
Not unless she gets a happy meal

Last edited by e_kobz; Feb 26, 2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old May 11, 2013, 05:50 PM

I have free oil changes for life at the dealer and I can tell you they will never see my car for one of them. I just don't trust then to put the right thing in it.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wnyevolutionx
I have free oil changes for life at the dealer and I can tell you they will never see my car for one of them. I just don't trust then to put the right thing in it.
+1 I'm all about doing my own work if I have the ability to. Even if the alternative is free
Old May 11, 2013, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my car today and had the oil changed to synthetic. A whopping 600 miles on it. But I didnt want to keep that conventional oil in it.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
I took my car today and had the oil changed to synthetic. A whopping 600 miles on it. But I didnt want to keep that conventional oil in it.
+1 nicely done. So much better for your engine
Old May 12, 2013, 06:09 AM

+1 I'm all about doing my own work if I have the ability to. Even if the alternative is free
Yea I just feel so much better about knowing what went into my car and that the work was done correctly. Not to mention if there was more than one Mitsubishi dealer around here I probably would have gone there instead.
Old May 12, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wnyevolutionx
Yea I just feel so much better about knowing what went into my car and that the work was done correctly. Not to mention if there was more than one Mitsubishi dealer around here I probably would have gone there instead.
Yeah I don't trust the two dealerships in my area either. I'll never take it there unless I have absolutely no choice.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I don't trust the two dealerships in my area either. I'll never take it there unless I have absolutely no choice.
We have 3 dealers and I dont trust none of them either. I buy the filters from the dealer and then get the oil changed at my local lube shop. I would do it myself but dont feel like dealing with the oil disposal. Plus at the lube shop I can stay in the bay and physically watch them change the oil.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

We have 3 dealers and I dont trust none of them either. I buy the filters from the dealer and then get the oil changed at my local lube shop. I would do it myself but dont feel like dealing with the oil disposal. Plus at the lube shop I can stay in the bay and physically watch them change the oil.
yeah being able to see the work being done is always a bonus. it's when you can't see the working being done when I question then quality of work
Old May 12, 2013, 12:49 PM

yeah being able to see the work being done is always a bonus. it's when you can't see the working being done when I question then quality of work
Exactly. I work an a semi truck dealership and I just see to many people not going a **** about what they do or how they do it. I can't stand it. That in itself has greatly skewed my opinion of dealers.
Old May 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

I would never ever use non synthetic oil in my cars, not even on my 91 car lol
Old May 12, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

I do the same exactly

Quick Reply: First oil change at dealership = conventional oil