Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

schrothe rallye 4 install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
schrothe rallye 4 install

I installed this and it is too short. I bolted the tail to the rear seat belt anchors under the rear seat. The front belts are about 18 inches away from their mounting points. The lap belt is in the middle of the seat. I followed the how to on this forum and the schroth instructions. What am I missing? Threads indicate that others have used this in the evo x.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I use this belt. It is a little short, but you should be able to make it fit.

Some pics would probably help.

Disconnect the front section from the rear section at the "buckle" part to install the front section.

Then after you install the front section, lengthen the shoulder belts all the way and you should be able to buckle the rear part to the front then. Then sit in the seat and tighten the wast belt, and then the shoulder belts.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're not going to enjoy hearing this, but the "correct" Schroth to get for an Evo X is a Rallye 3, because the baby-seat anchors are quite strong and in exactly the right places. Any chance of sending it back?

If not, I think we're going to need some pics to help you. There should be no problem with the lap-belt ends, because that's the same as the Rallye 3 (which I have in my car). It's the two ends to the crossed shoulder belts that might be an issue.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
You're not going to enjoy hearing this, but the "correct" Schroth to get for an Evo X is a Rallye 3, because the baby-seat anchors are quite strong and in exactly the right places. Any chance of sending it back?

If not, I think we're going to need some pics to help you. There should be no problem with the lap-belt ends, because that's the same as the Rallye 3 (which I have in my car). It's the two ends to the crossed shoulder belts that might be an issue.
I took pics today.
Attached Thumbnails schrothe rallye 4 install-img_20130909_175344_722.jpg   schrothe rallye 4 install-img_20130909_175056_156.jpg  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. That's way too short. The junction point (X) for the shoulder-belts should be within 8 inches of the back of the seat.

Plus, it's really, really bad for belts to angle down like that. Yeah, these Schroth belts are really only for stuff like autocrossing, but I'd still think twice about wearing belts with that kind of angle, even if you trust the seat's strength.

I know I'm being a downer, but between the shortness of the belts and the angle, I'm back to suggesting that you return them or put them on eBay and get a Rallye 3. Having the belts go directly back to the baby-seat anchors is orders of magnitude safer.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to HMS today and they acknowledge the tail was too short. They asked me to send them back the tail strap to replace or modify. I asked them to send a replacement right away since this was their mistake. Thanks all for the help.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:13 AM

Update: HMS is sending me a custom tail strap free of charge. Nice. Thanks to all here for your help.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
because the baby-seat anchors are quite strong
Holy **** no.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but someone recently linked to it for reference and this really needs to be corrected. Mitsubishi's specs for the lower LATCH anchor and upper tether anchor are that they are only supposed to hold 65 lbs.
http://cpsboard.org/cps/wp-content/u...ght-Limits.pdf

So, unless you weigh 65 lbs or less, don't use the child seat anchors. Use the seat belt anchors.

Last edited by Strangways; Dec 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Strangways
Holy **** no.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but someone recently linked to it for reference and this really needs to be corrected. Mitsubishi's specs for the lower LATCH anchor and upper tether anchor are that they are only supposed to hold 65 lbs.
http://cpsboard.org/cps/wp-content/u...ght-Limits.pdf

So, unless you weigh 65 lbs or less, don't use the child seat anchors. Use the seat belt anchors.
Right, even ignoring the safety issues of a harness without a proper seat and roll bar, attaching a harness to a baby seat anchor is crazy time.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im looking at these harness' so should I go with the rallye 3? since it says it shouldn't be angled further than 45 degrees down im not sure if the 4 would work. especially if the 4 doesn't even work like mentioned earlier in the post
Old Dec 30, 2015, 01:18 PM

The Rallye 3 can be attached to the adult shoulder belt upper attach points easily. As stated the child safety seat attach points should not be used. The Rallye 3 does solve the extreme vertical angle of the 4 tail section, and in my opinion the 3 is the better choice because of this, but many prefer the 4 because the lower seat cushion is way easier to remove than the package shelf to R/R the tail sections.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 01:21 PM

The tail supplied with my Rallye 3 is just barely long enough for me, and I sit with the driver's seat almost all the way back. If you sit with the seat closer to the steering wheel I would suggest asking HMS to make you a custom tail with a little extra length.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

I like the 4 since it has the two mounting points to the back seat. I would be running these without the back seats so I would be able to mount them safely. not sure where just the one strap from the rallye 3 would be attached.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 09:43 PM

There are (3) attach points on top of the "package shelf" just in front of the back glass that the OEM adult shoulder harnesses attach to. This is where the Rallye 3 tails attach. If you want to mount belts up top like this to avoid the bad vertical angles created from mounting them to the lower adult lap belt points below the seat bottom, then you need to get the Rallye 3s.

I would not advise mounting the Rallye 4s up top to the 3 shoulder harness points. That would require you to double up with one driver and one passenger tail mounted to the middle shoulder belt point. These points are not meant for the weight of 2 occupants pulling on them. If you want the Rallye 4 belts you'll have to attach them to the lap belt anchor points, and suffer the extreme vertical angles that creates with the tails mounting low and angling back up hard to attach to the belts near the upper headrest belt pass through slots in the front seats.

Many people will tell you mounting harnesses and actually using them is a death wish if you don't have a roll cage, a proper race seat, and a HANS device. They are right. The entire safety package needs to be designed to work together, and there are no crash certified harness alternatives for your EVO. But when you throw the steep vertical angle into the equation you are risking spinal compression as well, so you'll need a shorter casket for your wake.

Just don't plan on getting into a crash or rolling your car while using the harnesses and you'll probably live.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roger350
Just don't plan on getting into a crash or rolling your car while using the harnesses and you'll probably live.
ha I don't think anyone plans on that
I know all that safety stuff about it, im planning on doing a cage and everything as well. With the 3 having only one safe proper mounting point im not so sure since I want the passenger to have a harness as well. hmm..

Quick Reply: schrothe rallye 4 install