Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mods with serious gains on stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods with serious gains on stock turbo

So guys just wondering what is the absolute must to get MODs on a stock turbo? At first I was thinking:

TBE
Intake
Bigger Intercooler kit
EBC
& A tune

IWOA if you're out there said an intake is not really needed unless you go with a turbo upgrade. Im planning to keep stock turbo for a long time but would like to get MODs that gives me the best gains.

Thank you all
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure who IWOA is and Kracka is the local mod who knows power much better, but I'm pretty sure that an EBC is not at all needed and letting the ECU control boost is much better.

Get rid of the OE cat and get a tune would be the top two on my personal list.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
So guys just wondering what is the absolute must to get MODs on a stock turbo? At first I was thinking:

TBE
Intake
Bigger Intercooler kit
EBC
& A tune

IWOA if you're out there said an intake is not really needed unless you go with a turbo upgrade. Im planning to keep stock turbo for a long time but would like to get MODs that gives me the best gains.

Thank you all
1/3 wrong
Optional
Wrong
Sorta
Yes

You live in Minnesota. We have corn here! 1000cc Injectors, 255 fuel pump, e85 tune, delete cat. Welcome to 325WHP for $2000 or less.

IMAGE TOO BIG (Removed)

You don't need a full turbo back unless you get a new turbo. The big thing you don't need there is the down pipe. The stock down pipe is fine for the stock turbo. I would for sure delete the cat. Again, you live in MN. We have no emissions testing.

I agree, an intake isn't that important unless you just want that cool noise, or you just have a extra $400 burning a hole in your pocket. Intakes are designed to help flow of air to your turbo. That's something that is important once your turbo is actually taking in more air (like with a bigger turbo).

The stock intercooler is fine for the stock turbo. FMIC and DP are things you should do at the same time you upgrade your turbo.

I wouldn't waste money on an electronic boost controller. If you're not running man-boost (35+ pounds) there's really no need to ever turn it down. However, do drive over to Grimmspeed (they're having a car meet soon!) and pick up a 3 port for like $80.

Obviously, a tune. I'd recommend Ron at RS Motors in Burnsville of highway 13.

Of course, if you'd had a knowledgeable, local, sales guy, you would know all this already

Last edited by Alpha X; Sep 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^That image was way too big.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Not sure who IWOA is and Kracka is the local mod who knows power much better, but I'm pretty sure that an EBC is not at all needed and letting the ECU control boost is much better.

Get rid of the OE cat and get a tune would be the top two on my personal list.
you do realize that the ECU controls boost with an EBC, right?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
1/3 wrong
Optional
Wrong
Sorta
Yes

You live in Minnesota. We have corn here! 1000cc Injectors, 255 fuel pump, e85 tune, delete cat. Welcome to 325WHP for $2000 or less.

IMAGE TOO BIG (Removed)

You don't need a full turbo back unless you get a new turbo. The big thing you don't need there is the down pipe. The stock down pipe is fine for the stock turbo. I would for sure delete the cat. Again, you live in MN. We have no emissions testing.

I agree, an intake isn't that important unless you just want that cool noise, or you just have a extra $400 burning a hole in your pocket. Intakes are designed to help flow of air to your turbo. That's something that is important once your turbo is actually taking in more air (like with a bigger turbo).

The stock intercooler is fine for the stock turbo. FMIC and DP are things you should do at the same time you upgrade your turbo.

I wouldn't waste money on an electronic boost controller. If you're not running man-boost (35+ pounds) there's really no need to ever turn it down. However, do drive over to Grimmspeed (they're having a car meet soon!) and pick up a 3 port for like $80.

Obviously, a tune. I'd recommend Ron at RS Motors in Burnsville of highway 13.

Of course, if you'd had a knowledgeable, local, sales guy, you would know all this already
You realize eliminatibg the stock downpipe and the cat abd doibg a full 3in will bgive you the best gains. Why the hell would you wabt the stock downpipe....
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rjfg
You realize eliminatibg the stock downpipe and the cat abd doibg a full 3in will bgive you the best gains. Why the hell would you wabt the stock downpipe....
The stock turbo isn't pushing enough to warranty a wide mouth down pipe. You won't get gains that are significant enough to warrant the money spent vs. just doing a test pipe on a stock down pipe and turbo. There are other things you can spend $400 to give you better gains than a down pipe on a stock turbo. Take the $400 for the DP and the $400 for the intake and replace that with 1000cc injectors, and a 255 fuel pump for E85.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

You can find a downpipe for less then 400. In the long run its a metal pipe. Ebay that metal pipe and reinforce the welds if need be. I ran one on my old mazdaspeed6 and never hsd an issue. Its one thing running an ebay cat but an empty pipe is another.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
you do realize that the ECU controls boost with an EBC, right?
You do realize an EBC works independent of the ECU, right? An EBCS, like a grimmspeed or gm 3-port, works with the ECU to control boost.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, folks. Relax. I read it as MBC, even after typing "EBC."
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the tips guy.
I wanted to stick with pump gas bobby (I hope that's your name trogdor lol)
And sorry I meant Iowa lol
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the tips guy.
I wanted to stick with pump gas bobby (I hope that's your name trogdor lol)
And sorry I meant Iowa lol
Yes, it is.

Duel map, yo! Ron will set you up on a pedal switch for pump gas or corn.

Turn car on to accessory, push pedal, switch map, done. No more worries about how to travel farther than 200 miles.

Last edited by TrogdorWBL; Sep 29, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I thought about that too.

Does Maperformance do tunes? If so how is it compared to RS?

Last edited by khmerguyx; Sep 29, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well you said "serious gains" but I guess that is relative. The most serious gain you will get for $ to HP I think is E. Is there a reason you don't want to convert?

The intake was actually the first thing I did. It was a cheap way to a coolish sound. Went ETC. My friend and I with basically similar mods except he has a drop in filter got tuned at the same place. I came out about 15 more hp with less boost. Take it for what it's worth. Could just be the cars, the weather or maybe the intake. Not sure.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I thought about that too.

Does Maperformance do tunes? If so how is it compared to RS?
MAP does do tunes but from what I know, most pple in MN go to RS or DB.

Quick Reply: Mods with serious gains on stock turbo