Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man.
I'm a do it yourselfer. Last ditch is roadside assistance.
Fobs are fine. Of course, both keys have been tried Cell phone never made a diff, but no not even close to the car.
Sir, page one of this you shall find a crop of the door that has a lock (drivers). As aforementioned the only linkage arm is from the door handle to latch mechanism. There is no secondary linkage as would be expected to be found on a slim-jimmable average everyday ordinary vehicle. This leads me to the highly possible probability of an electrically activated unlocking system.
Upon sucsessful charging of the vehicle by accessing the alternator positive post and frame ground the car will unlock. Guaranteed.
At that point I shall dive in and find the root of the problem. The closest dealer special orders Evolutions and their tech is unfamiliar with them although he is familiar wiith the KOS that is on other Mitsu models. Because he is privy to factory technical support he will find why the keys do not unlock the door. He does know that KOS doesn't have a lock cylinder linkage (has replaced a few door handles here and there recently). So there ya' go.
Sorry, really for all of this. But it's sorta expected. I just read a post where a dude curb scraped a wheel and asked for suggestions to repair it (himself I assume).
It's thoroughly disgusting that a smartass would suggest simply curbing the other 3 wheels. And "rigging" a repair with plasti-dip, which should last all of 3 car washes.
Sorry but I never mentioned that I am an electrical engineer with quite a few years of electronics experience. That makes reading schematics and tracing wiring pretty easy for me.
If I break the plastic cover on the post, so be it. I'll buy a new one. Figured someone may have a photo of what one looked like. I'll just stuff my arm and phone up in there and snap my own. Thanks, ya'll.
(grumbling....just curb the other 3 rims. what a douche).

Originally Posted by Kendogg
Why does it matter how far away the local Mitsu dealer is? Why not get the roadside assistance to come to you?

Also again I have to ask a stupid question. You are sure the fob itself is good? When you hit lock or unlock on the fob, you see the red light come on? Also you haven't replaced the battery in it recently (probably not since you have a 2012, but still possible). Also, you don't have your cell phone with you or in your pocket when you try to unlock it? And lastly, you have tried using both keys just incase?

I am reading through the manual, in efforts to find something that might help. One thing I noticed when researching this, is supposedly the locking mechanism in the door should be lubricated every so often as it can jam up pretty easily in cold temps and climate. But with my initial search, I have not found anything about the door lock being electronic only. From what most have said, it is electronic for normal use. But also has mechanical for physical key use. I will update you if I find out anything concrete.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

HOLY COW POO!

I seriously honestly did not know that is how the key works!
Now that I pull it out I see there is even a picture on the back of how to do it.

Well all is not lost....I genuinely learned something. Thank you Ken!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mani8448
HOLY COW POO!

I seriously honestly did not know that is how the key works!
Now that I pull it out I see there is even a picture on the back of how to do it.

Well all is not lost....I genuinely learned something. Thank you Ken!
Your welcome man

I actually learned something to. I took out my manual and read through it in hopes of finding any info that might help the OP. During this, I learned that you should not put the fob next to electronic devices. Needless to say, I no longer put my keys next to my computer when at work

OP.....

I also looked through the service manual. I saw the pic that you posted on page 1 of this thread. I agree the door locks are energized electronically. I can see in the pic you posted that a wire comes off the lock and will be connected to a wiring harnass. But it's hard to make out from the pic, if the lock can also be mechanically unlocked by the physical key.

"There is a short term battery backup of sorts in the keyless system"

I agree this is a possibility, although this would be a really stupid design on Mitsu's part. And if this is true, it would kind of mean that Jossue is a liar as I don't think this battery backup would last 9 months.

Reading through the service manual, I did not see a mention to this short term battery backup nor did I see something like that in the electronic schematics. Do you have a page number from the service manual for this backup circuit?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:38 PM

Hey, Sit tight. I'm a bit resigned to this post by now.
If the tech at the dealer agreed with my suggestion (alt. post...and no brotherly photos as of yet to assist) and he knows for a matter of fact that the door lock is actuated electrically (only a linkage from the door handle to unlatch the latch assembly, 2 cables from the inside door handle to the latch), I'm gonna roll with it when it gets warmer out.

FYI also I garaged the car because it started snowing. I'm not afraid of snow. It's actually a blast to drive in it. It's the damn salt and sand they spread all over the roads. It warmed up enough today and the car washes opened back up. I spent like 4bucks spraying off the subbie suv. It doesn't matter how far the dealer is away but realize they wont deliver it back and they are quite a distance away. Factor in road salt spray I hope the gsr never will see.

Look at my pic. Right before sunup it dropped to negative 32. Can anyone say "Day after tomorrow"?

There are a couple of battery backups in the car. Adobe has a find menu.
I'm pretty good at reverse engineering electrical and electronic things. Time will tell. I'm not in a super hurry to get inside the car. But when I do that's where the investigation begins. You know, door panel off for inspection. Divorce the car of battery and see if the key works now in the door cylinder. Who knows? I really want to know what's up.

I'm not really a <what ken called me>. Ok, sometimes. Let my girl drive to the store one day. She curbed a wheel. I was pissed. But not at her. That it happened in the first place. I think it took me 3 hours not including dry time to fix it. Proper. Mask, sand, fill, sand, prime, base coat, blender, clear coat and hardener, blender, wet sand, and polish. All done with a Preval sprayer. Invisible. She made dinner. She's a great cook! Painting is sort of fun although that time it would have been better if it wasn't on the car. Go figure.

Save the Plasti Dip for my tools.

Your welcome man

I actually learned something to. I took out my manual and read through it in hopes of finding any info that might help the OP. During this, I learned that you should not put the fob next to electronic devices. Needless to say, I no longer put my keys next to my computer when at work

OP.....

I also looked through the service manual. I saw the pic that you posted on page 1 of this thread. I agree the door locks are energized electronically. I can see in the pic you posted that a wire comes off the lock and will be connected to a wiring harnass. But it's hard to make out from the pic, if the lock can also be mechanically unlocked by the physical key.

"There is a short term battery backup of sorts in the keyless system"

I agree this is a possibility, although this would be a really stupid design on Mitsu's part. And if this is true, it would kind of mean that Jossue is a liar as I don't think this battery backup would last 9 months.

Reading through the service manual, I did not see a mention to this short term battery backup nor did I see something like that in the electronic schematics. Do you have a page number from the service manual for this backup circuit?
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please-seriously-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by supwiddiss; Jan 31, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:19 PM

Followup:
I'm pleased to anounce that the alt. post cover is popped off and my charger is clipped to the battery cable.

In the photo I got my arm up inside and put a flat blade screwdriver just under the rim of the plastic cover and used the bolt head under and to the right as a fulcrum. Had to be careful to put the blade in just a little bit.

It's been charging for about 1/2 hour now. The fob unlocked the door in 5 minutes. Using my key put backwards in the fob in the key hole in the door handle wont do anything but turn both ways (of course trying it with the car unlocked and locked with the fob). Nothing.

So there is a problem Houston. Bad door lock switch? Loose connector? I dunno. But I will soon.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please-20140202_143145-large-.jpg  
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:54 AM

Or just good drugs at the mitsu plant that day?
Photos tell it all. Key turned one way and the other.
Dont always trust your manual. ie: there is a linkage present to the latch and the connector is for the rubber covered button.
Assumptions have mislead many. This one got me but I trusted the manual.
Maybe it's a fluke or one in a million thing.

Just in case the same things happens to others

Thanks.

A photo, scraped forearm, bit of a charge, and visual examination is all that was needed.

Originally Posted by supwiddiss
Followup:
I'm pleased to anounce that the alt. post cover is popped off and my charger is clipped to the battery cable.

In the photo I got my arm up inside and put a flat blade screwdriver just under the rim of the plastic cover and used the bolt head under and to the right as a fulcrum. Had to be careful to put the blade in just a little bit.

It's been charging for about 1/2 hour now. The fob unlocked the door in 5 minutes. Using my key put backwards in the fob in the key hole in the door handle wont do anything but turn both ways (of course trying it with the car unlocked and locked with the fob). Nothing.

So there is a problem Houston. Bad door lock switch? Loose connector? I dunno. But I will soon.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please-door1.jpg   2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please-door2x.jpg  

Last edited by supwiddiss; Feb 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supwiddiss
Hey, Sit tight. I'm a bit resigned to this post by now.
If the tech at the dealer agreed with my suggestion (alt. post...and no brotherly photos as of yet to assist) and he knows for a matter of fact that the door lock is actuated electrically (only a linkage from the door handle to unlatch the latch assembly, 2 cables from the inside door handle to the latch), I'm gonna roll with it when it gets warmer out.
Another example of the dealer techs no knowing what the hell they are talking about. Glad you figured it out. I need to use the key in my car to make sure that same assembly line working was not the one who also put my door assembly together.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

You are in PA, close to West Chester? Let me know if so and want to use our race car as a mule to sort out the door latches and various electronics. It's gutted which makes wire tracing and thelikevery simple. Just pm me, if I can help.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 05:47 PM

Yeah Ken the dealer did BS me alot. One of those dealers that ship in evo's for buyers and not one on the lot.

Nevertheless it's fixed. The fix was easy once I got into her. It doesn't seem possible that the link popped out on it's own but time will tell and that key? it will be tested every once in awhile to check that everything stays put.

West Chester is a long trip from here. But in the spring I will be looking for a competent tuner. I have a bone stock gsr. It's disgusting that I even had to replace the 06 MR. At least up here it's assured that this one won't get ripped off. In Orlando where I lived for 18 years TTP did my tune. several times on his dyno and never could remember to snap the cover over the ecu harness. The tunes that were done gave awesome seat of the pants gains though. The arrogance kind of irked me. I got busted on because my Cobb exhaust "was the heaviest muffler I've ever seen". And his assistant banged the living f**k out of the O2 sensor to get a wide band in. It didn't live long after that. My preference would have been to drop the pipe and tip the bung with a torch and ease the sensor out. But that's me. For $500 a pop I just expected a little more.

Decisions now for bolt on's and an easy drive to a tuner. I'm still reserved on a Cobb AP. It would make map switching a breeze but a cable and laptop is right down my alley too. I do all of my own work. Mechanical, electrical.

Appreciate the offer alot to look at the racer. It's nice when things like that come out of the blue. I do the same things for people. I haven't been in a tuned gsr yet. But man! I sure miss the MR. Totaled and cert of destruction at the auction for what could have been a buy back and 5 grand in parts. Toatled for the want of a set of Recaros, ECU, HID's, and a steering column. It was months before I trusted a single sole who looked and my new gsr.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please-mr1.jpg   2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please-mr2.jpg  
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Damn you gutted that pretty good.

When your O2 sensor was going out, what kind of symptoms did you have?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:24 PM

Nah not me dude. Got sent out of city to troubleshoot a machine that the tech there chimped out on.

Came home real late. Left all my specialized equipment, tools, my Harley jacket and helmet and my Nikon rig safe in the trunk. I think I got 5 hours sleep after winding down.

Next morning.Came out with coffee in my hand. Things were still blurry. Hit the Viper. No chirp. Apt bldg and late you cannot always get your preferred parking place. Still burned out from the previous long day. Put my Viper up in the air and listened for a chirp looking left and right. None.

Saw something shiny across in the lot. Walked up and it was my shattered rear window held together by tint film. It went down hill from there.

Cops, ins. company, work. Bla Bla. Ins. company got me a rental. Dude comes to pick me up. Found the MR in the shadows of night but now in broad daylight.

Cops, etc. all over again. Towed it to the dealer. Dealer takes one look: "It's totaled. Third one this year. Sucks ***** dude". "Recaros $7500 each, ECU $3500, HID's $1200 a pop. Plus labor etc.

Yeah.

Car booked for 22k. I got a check for 25. And bought my GSR a week later.

Not that I would verify this but IF you buy Lojack talk to a manager. Ask him to Google "EVO Recaro's in a Civic". They tout adamantly 40 places to put a Lojack in a car. My HD has Lojack. I said that I dont give a crap where the 40 places you put Lojack as long as every single one of those 40 places are IN A FU**ING SEAT.

Hood popped by ripping the release cable under the wheel well. Battery disconnected. Alarm ripped out. My Verizon charger cord used to hot wire the fuel pump. Car not starting without the key is total bs. It'll run for a short while. And Pancho and Rodrigo went to town....

The only sympathy I got was in a dictionary between s**t and syphilis. Work docked me a day of pay (I'm salaried and worked at least 50 hrs/wk). I got a new car and payments I didn't need.

And dont EVEN tell me I should take my stuff out of the car at night. I knew that. And now I do. That was an expensive day and a lesson in trust.

And then my dad passed on. But hey, I have my good days!

Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:27 PM

Oops. Front O2 went out dude and tripped the code for it. A-hole had the wire twisted like a piece of licorice. I ate the sensor. Pros. Yeah pro-phyl-actics.

Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:28 PM

guess you havent played around with the key fob much, or your sales rep sucks by not showing you the key in the key fob for use in this scenario
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by uprise
guess you havent played around with the key fob much, or your sales rep sucks by not showing you the key in the key fob for use in this scenario
Guess you didn't read the thread.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sawdust
Guess you didn't read the thread.
Yes I did. Question is did you?
The key did not work because the cylinder linkage shaft was not located in the lock release mechanism. Using the key did nothing at all except turn left and right. Period.

I'm appalled at the assistance I got from everyone here. Or lack of, with one exception. Is this not a place to help others and offer good advice?

What proved to be just too difficult to do (hood open, snap a photo of the positive alternator post showing hopefully how to pop off the plastic cover without wrecking it) took me all of 10 seconds after freezing my *** off and finally getting a charge through that positive post to operate the KOS and unlock the car to ultimately figure it all out. Thanks!

All of the "non-help" replies eventually get aggravating (like you, Sir). It takes a lot of personal control to explain in plain English that You're not getting the point. Insisting that the key was my issue over and over did not get any charge in the battery. Not one volt.

Just one clear photograph posted would have assisted 80%. One other showing the plastic cover off of the post would have taken care of the other 20%. Instead the majority of replies were Key-Key-Key, referring to somehow I was an idiot.

It all was a bit disgusting. I don't need to tell why I cringe to take my pride and joy to anyone other than me to get it serviced. I don't wish to express my utter disbelief that a "pro dyno tuner" (TTP) spent 15 minutes hammering the hell out of an O2 sensor to slip in a wide band to tune it, ended up having to replace it shortly after the tune, and forgetting twice to replace the plastic wiring harness cover over the ecu. For $500 a pop. Nor do I wish to get in depth the dealer (RC Hill) repainting my 06 MR hood under warranty and using a DA sander on it which resulted in a wavy hood (that "they couldn't see) and leaving smoke streaks in the silver paint that showed badly under artificial lights at night (they "couldn't" see either). That took hours of block sanding (by me) and a respray by a Real pro painter to fix.

It takes years to find a great mechanic. It takes minutes to discover a crappy one. No matter what eye candy may be in the shop to make you think you've actually found that perfect one.

Oh, LOOK! The key! Wow it IS in the back of my fob! Holeee crap. I must be an idiot or didn't read my owners manual page to page. Could that be how I actually found out how to reset the service reminder??

Surely wouldn't be me.

Thanks to all of the pros. To the rest....meh.

I'm off to get some Plasti Dip for a curbed wheel. No! wait I got a better idea. I'll let my gf go get it for me and just make the other 3 match. What a bunch of dip****s.

Last edited by supwiddiss; Apr 4, 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Evo X: Can I get an alternator photo please