Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Second Hand Evo X 2008 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Hand Evo X 2008 thoughts

Hi there, new to the forum. Recently came across an ad selling a 2008 Evo X MR for $23500.

Below is the ad. Just want to grab some thoughts whether this should be considered or not:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR White Sedan, Automatic. 78,XXX km.
Needs to go by NEXT WEEK or we are getting it bought out by a dealership and it will be even priced higher (as we all know it)

Features/Notes:
- Bought as pre-owned car with one accident ($7,000, not visible but it is not perfectly flushed (as seen in picture), rims were quite scratched up too and came with after market exhaust (do not know what brand it is) asking for $23,500.
- Carproof - https://reports.carproof.com/main?id...CflpuSBL1nJ+g8
- Up to date with all service
- Will come with with vehicle safety inspection already done
- Non smoker's car
- Small scratch to front bumper on the driver side and left front fender is dented, due to parking accident. Will cost around less than $1,500 to fix for exterior damage. .
- Includes 2-way Compustar and ez-go (a $500+ value + installation)
- Will provide the audio cables for mp3/phone media.

*NOTE : As this car is in a no-transfer lease agreement, it must be bought out first; dealership is located in Richmond. We can go to the dealership together,buy it out, transfer the ownership and complete the sale in one go. There are also icbc reps there to carry out the insurance papers.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Asking a lot for that many km and for an 08 thats not in great shape. I wouldn't consider it but thats just my opinion. To each their own right?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:16 PM

that's what they go for in Canada, paid 21k for my 08 GSR with 80k km on the clock. it had an accident as well, but it doesn't show, and upon removing the bumper everything was okay. Job well done. I was looking at an MR , same year 70k on the odo. But the SST maintenance and the fact that it's limited in the torque it can take put me off and went for a gsr instead.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:20 PM

Also Check for the ACD/AYC pump, they fail in harsh weather condition like we have in canada. They cost a lot to fix, it's located behing the rear passenger side wheel. Take it for a ride try everything you can, different modes, A/C anything. Mine was owned by a 52 years old, he had every single sheets concerning maintenance and recalls.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the response. This is from Vancouver British Columbia Canada. Given the condition, what do you guys think it's worth?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:36 PM

Yes I was looking at evo's from Seattle, man everything cost much less.. and much more selections too
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice evo..what they just say^cant go wrong with evos
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid roughly 25k after taxes, license and 3rd party warranty for my 2008 with 68k miles. It came almost fully bolted on with the exception of the stock bpv. Also came with a new acd pump!

Check the acd pump if its rusted id stay away from it.

Another thing to check is the timing chain. 2008's have the weaker timing chain and are prone to stretching.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:37 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hell no find another. That's 1000 worth of damage on it already. If htey don't have the money to fix the damage, they don't have the money to do maintenance either.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by ikt
hell no find another. That's 1000 worth of damage on it already. If htey don't have the money to fix the damage, they don't have the money to do maintenance either.

^^This. If they were too lazy to fix the damage or have it repaired imagine the maintenance they skipped out on as well..
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:01 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by slow gst
^^This. If they were too lazy to fix the damage or have it repaired imagine the maintenance they skipped out on as well..
Especially with the SST. it needs $400 maintenance every few years to stay proper.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:43 AM

As I was told from the seller, he does his own oil changes and recently replaced brake pads. They went to the shop to estimate how much it will cost them to fix the exterior and it's around 1-2k I believe. But good point to question why they did not fix the car. Maybe because they were just leasing it?

They also mentioned another buyer that came to look at it last week from out of town, I guess the deal didn't go through. This probably is a sign lol
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would walk away as well. Just like someone else said, if they couldn't afford the repairs or decided against it, then I would be skeptical about the maintenance of the car.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shoot my '04 VIII has fewer miles, no damage inside or out and I wouldn't give 23k for it today
(and I like it far better then the X--since I've owned it 8yrs, I am partial)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:09 AM

Just had to post this. Now the seller has increased price to $26400 ($3000 more) lol wow... gotta be kidding me with that condition..

Quick Reply: Second Hand Evo X 2008 thoughts