Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Does a world exist where you pay less than $400 monthly for an X without leasing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a world exist where you pay less than $400 monthly for an X without leasing?

Been researching getting an evo for awhile now. Prices on used examples are just crazy high. $23k on an '08 with 50,000 miles? Forget having to talk my wife into it, I cant even talk myself into it. The '08 example is an average low end dollar amount I have found. I've seen a few '08s near $30k with low miles. What gives? Prices are just what people will pay, I suppose. 2010, '11, and '12 models go for a little more money, but they are still used, so I'm not sure why the price is so lofty. I guess I will have to wait a few more years til I have more positive equity in my G35 trade. Hopefully, prices will be calmer then, but if the Evo goes out for good, aftermarket and dealer support may become terrible. We shall wait and see....

Sorry for the rant; frustration, ya know...

Kev
Old Dec 9, 2014, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevvsworld
Been researching getting an evo for awhile now. Prices on used examples are just crazy high. $23k on an '08 with 50,000 miles? Forget having to talk my wife into it, I cant even talk myself into it. The '08 example is an average low end dollar amount I have found. I've seen a few '08s near $30k with low miles. What gives? Prices are just what people will pay, I suppose. 2010, '11, and '12 models go for a little more money, but they are still used, so I'm not sure why the price is so lofty. I guess I will have to wait a few more years til I have more positive equity in my G35 trade. Hopefully, prices will be calmer then, but if the Evo goes out for good, aftermarket and dealer support may become terrible. We shall wait and see....

Sorry for the rant; frustration, ya know...

Kev
Many run into this issue. Especially the younger crowd where they are used to wheeling and dealing to eventually find a way to get in an Evo. Yet the Evo is illusive and no matter what it seems you can't even "sneak" into one.

I'll agree it's discouraging to find totally wrecked Evo's with the engine sitting in the passenger seat still going for $6-9K. If it runs period it's minimally $10-15K and that's for 2003 Evo 8's with 150K miles which I'd never trust as my main car after seeing how people treat them. It's then that line of thinking that has people with lower miles asking for even more...

On the flip side, if you stick around long enough and the market doesn't vanish, these tend to pay you back when it's time to sell. Hard to get a 2012 Evo X to sell for less than around $25K regardless of miles. Once you hit that mark on your loan, value kinda levels out and holds strong.

Just take my advice and don't try to sneak into one. Likely it's cheap enough to afford for reasons that aren't obvious. Simply stay away from a $13-17K Evo unless you wrench on cars and have other transportation. If it's mechanically sound, 20K seems to be the entry level for a reliable one that isn't ragged out.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

it just takes a lot of looking for the right deal but there out there. but 25k seems to be about the going price for a good used one. ive seen a few around 17k miles on a 2012 for 25k and good thing is there still under warranty if not modded so shouldn't have any problem cars. If you do a 6 year loan with 0 down your payments would be just under $400 if that's your goal.

I don't see the aftermarket/dealer support going anywhere mitsu is still gonna be around so will the parts just wont be making any new ones but they have tons in stock as with any major car company. you can still go to a dealer and get a oem part for an 89 if you wanted.

Last edited by slvrevo84; Dec 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

I pay 290 a month for my MR...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:55 AM

I put 10k down on my '13 GSR, so I pay about 449 a month with 1.9% apr. Insurance is about 150 a month for great coverage. It's a lot each month, but worth it. I love owning this car. I've seen more value in getting a close to new evo with super low miles, than getting a 5 year old one with high miles. Hopefully with the model ending production next year, this car will have somewhat of a Supra kind of market, where they will hold their values even better than they are now.

When it came to the wife and getting her approval, well, in my opinion, its better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
big downpayment and a trade-in...that would be the best way to go on the newer models...the older VIII and IX's need extra work depending on how the previous owner treated the car...and when it comes to your wife..make sure shes involved...makes it easier I find.

but, yes I'm pretty sure its possible to find one within range.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevvsworld
I guess I will have to wait a few more years til I have more positive equity in my G35 trade.
If you still owe more on your G35 than it is worth, you are going to take a big hit if you use it as a trade in.

If you are serious about getting into an Evo, you should sell the G35 to a private party then pick up a beater to drive while you safe up a good sized down payment. Showing the wife "how much you sacrificed" to get the car you really want is the best way to keep her off your back.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Traded my bimmer in for my 14 GSR. Paying around 200 a month. Have friends who went in with little downs paying around 4-500 for there SSS GSR's. Honestly if you can afford it I'd say go for it they're a lot of fun, but if you'll be tight on dinero I would stay away. Family first!

On another topic aftermarket will always be there for the Evo it has a large selection that I don't see dying down anytime soon.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:45 AM

i was in the high 400s and put 3k down
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

They certainly aren't cheap. I have 112k+ on my '08 and it's apparently "worth" more than I think it should be. While I don't want to sell it - the thought has crossed my mind.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i bought a used 2012 earlier this year with 21,000 miles on it for $27k. Put a $7k down payment so my loan was $20k and i pay about $360 a month. Its all about how big your loan is.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:23 PM

I was in the same boat. I really loved my lifted truck but it was time to move on. I really wanted a STI or Evo as those were the only two cars that I wanted. I live in Pa and had to drive to Ohio to get the evo that I bought. It was bone stock clean as can be and had over 20 service records of all oil changes and other records. It is a 2010 GSR with 56k that I got for 23k. More miles then I wanted but the lower mile evos were around 28k. I still saw much older evos going for mids 20s. When I bought mine they had a 06 evo with 50k miles and still wanted 25k. They also had another 2010 evo x with 78k miles and wanted 22k for it. Its amazing how they are holding value.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PSUfan1
They certainly aren't cheap. I have 112k+ on my '08 and it's apparently "worth" more than I think it should be. While I don't want to sell it - the thought has crossed my mind.
Evos have ALWAYS held their value alot better then most cars out there. I dont see that changing anytime soon, especially if the '15 evo is the last one
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:28 AM

Just keep looking! You'll find the right one.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fawkz
Evos have ALWAYS held their value alot better then most cars out there. I dont see that changing anytime soon, especially if the '15 evo is the last one
Yup I know.... I wanted to keep mine anyway b/c I've been spoiled with AWD. Will drive the vette when it's nice out (removable roof ftw) and the Evo when it's less nice out.

Quick Reply: Does a world exist where you pay less than $400 monthly for an X without leasing?