Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hit a curb....how to drop the front subframe?

Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hit a curb....how to drop the front subframe?

I smacked my passenger front wheel off a curb last week, probably at about 10 miles per hour. Wheel is in one piece still, although it has some rash obviously. I didn't really lose any of the bead. So far I definitely need the inner/outer tie rod and end link.

Before disconnecting (with centered steering position):

Hit a curb....how to drop the front subframe?-uiiqbtv.jpg

Hit a curb....how to drop the front subframe?-4p08a9w.jpg

So the tie rod is disconnected for now until I get a replacement, so the wheels are facing the same direction again, but that side still looks to have a tad more positive camber than it used to though....thinking maybe I tweaked that side of the subframe down a bit.

I'd like to drop the subframe to evaluate it and the rest of the steering rack outside the car. Does anyone know if I need to support the motor and/or drivetrain components when doing this?

Service manual doesn't seem to indicate as such. Instructions for removing the member start at section 32-8.

Anyone wanna hook me up with a GSR wheel?

Last edited by maleskym; Mar 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
just replace the needed pieces and get it aligned and go from there! Who knows you might have gotten lucky. If they cant align it then go through all the extra work to drop the subframe.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
just replace the needed pieces and get it aligned and go from there! Who knows you might have gotten lucky. If they cant align it then go through all the extra work to drop the subframe.
My only worry is that I'll buy the tie rod bits and then end up having to replace the whole steering rack (which will come with the tie rods again when I order the rack).

Plus it would be WAY easier to replace the inner/outer with the subframe down.

I also might be looking for an excuse to get the Magnus Motorsports tubular subframe...

Last edited by maleskym; Mar 8, 2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
haha well thats one way to go about it!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may also need to replace your strut. I did something similar to my old Eclipse GST a long time ago and the strut was bent to crap. I was going much faster then 10mph
Old Mar 15, 2015, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You dont have to support the motor. It is supported by the side motor mounts. I dropped mine down during my Whiteline Front Sway bar install....

Here is the install guide:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rt-direct.html

I'm not able to see the pics, (Im at work) but I hope this helps... Inspecting it would be a good idea, but it could be hard to tell if it is tweaked just slightly. Might be easier to replace the parts that you know need to be changed and go from there.