Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is the SST on Evo X reliable

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the SST on Evo X reliable

hey guys i would really appreciate some input on this topic i have looked at the forums and the only thing i found was back from 2009 and im wondering if the trannys on the 2010 Evo X reliable?

I got a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8 right now and i really want the X but i wouldnt want the GSR model i want the MR so i can DD it and i miss Automatic but i was wondering if it can handle some bolt ons without upgrading the clutch pack

PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BosnianJDM
hey guys i would really appreciate some input on this topic i have looked at the forums and the only thing i found was back from 2009 and im wondering if the trannys on the 2010 Evo X reliable?

I got a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8 right now and i really want the X but i wouldnt want the GSR model i want the MR so i can DD it and i miss Automatic but i was wondering if it can handle some bolt ons without upgrading the clutch pack

PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
Yes, the SST is gernally reliable. What do you plan to do with it? Mod? Keep it stock?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
If you want long life out of the sst do the following

1. Fluid and Filter change every 15k miles. More frequent if you track the car.

2. Stay under 350 wheel torque when on stock clutches

3. Get a Dodson Sump. pushing the sst before its up to operating temp is very bad.

4. When/if you get the car tuned, make damn sure you're tuner knows what they are doing. Contact eric @ Kozmic in houston,tx. They are the sst kings.

5. Learn how to properly operate the SST. It is a twin clutch automated manual, not a typical torque converter automatic, nor is it a cvt, and should not be driven as one.

6. ????

7. Profit
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:52 PM

5. Learn how to properly operate the SST. It is a twin clutch automated manual, not a typical torque converter automatic, nor is it a cvt, and should not be driven as one.

Is there something I am missing here or you have any advice?
I am usually in auto mode/flick to sport when required, never do super sport - too highstrung.
I don't usually have the time to launch it. In sport mode/auto it usually does just fine.
If freeway racing usually hit the paddles to carry rpm up.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They say you should drive the car regularly in S-sport there will be several posts if you use search. Personally I only use s sport when I am not in s sport its only if I get low on gas or just parking.I only use a tune for my car completely stock.The car has been pretty reliable I had a maf sensor go bad recently,otherwise good.I've put about 40k miles on the car in less than 2 years.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:01 PM

basically what jakeleclair says...
if you push too much torque its gonna start slipping and stuff.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
SSport manual all the time, every time, to improve clutch life.

Yes leaving it auto is too jumpy, but manual you can drive with the paddles and operate it just like 'normal' mode.

I never use normal or sport, and don't miss it even in traffic the paddles are so easy.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jakeleclair2000
If you want long life out of the sst do the following

Can anyone clarify the above and/or provide some detail around this? In particular the part about operating the SST properly. I would most greatly appreciate it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NEpsiOver21
Can anyone clarify the above and/or provide some detail around this? In particular the part about operating the SST properly. I would most greatly appreciate it.
In normal or sport the clutches slip more than S Sport so wear the clutches faster and generate more heat.

When at a stoplight if you leave it in gear, the clutches heat up because they are basically sitting there holding tension. Get in the habit of putting the car in neutral at stoplights and driving in S-Sport manual mode to prolong your transmission / clutches.

That's about it in a nutshell.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 01:31 PM

PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:42 AM

PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
Originally Posted by evoxsteez
i miss my 5speed
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
In normal or sport the clutches slip more than S Sport so wear the clutches faster and generate more heat.

When at a stoplight if you leave it in gear, the clutches heat up because they are basically sitting there holding tension. Get in the habit of putting the car in neutral at stoplights and driving in S-Sport manual mode to prolong your transmission / clutches.

That's about it in a nutshell.
Thanks for the clarification Napalm. I was unaware of most of that, however I do tend to drive it "like a manual" throwing it into neutral (as you would in any situation where that's needed in a "real" manual). Other then that I am well aware of the how tight the shifts are in S-Sport, so makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Last edited by NEpsiOver21; Apr 29, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

^ I was wondering about that...

The SST is pretty good, as long as you keep it maintained and arent overly hard on it street. The power is the biggest thing, as disscussed above. If your wanting over 350+ you will need to upgrade to aftermarket to handle the increase in power.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bstgsr
^ I was wondering about that...

The SST is pretty good, as long as you keep it maintained and arent overly hard on it street. The power is the biggest thing, as disscussed above. If your wanting over 350+ you will need to upgrade to aftermarket to handle the increase in power.
Not really, you need to keep the Torque at or below 350 but can get over 400hp with it without issue and working with a good tuner.

Past that you just need upgraded clutchpacks and you should be able to go beyond 350tq.

The limiter on the MR is your wallet more than anything. Clutch packs are expensive, the transmission service is expensive etc..

Now I wouldn't suggest going for a 600hp build and expecting great things, but you can give these plenty of juice if done properly and working with a qualified tuner while also upgrading the parts you need to get there.

The GSR is a bit cheaper and will hold much higher HP reliably due to the beefier 5speed transmission. You still need a better clutch, but past that you don't have to spend much from my understanding to exceed the 400tq number.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would even say the around 350 wheel torque is the real limit for the SST

Higher torque can be held with upgraded clutches, but eric @ kozmic has reported torquing/bending of the clutch basket @ around 450 wheel torque and the trans case starts to flex around that same power level, binding up the valve bodies.

But like @Napalm_Enema said, the biggest limiting factor, to an extent, is $$$.

Im sure if you cared to make the case and basket out of titanium or something more power could be held but by that point for the same (or probably less) $$$$ you could go with a full sequential dog box with pneumatic paddle shifters.

That would be badass.

Quick Reply: Is the SST on Evo X reliable