Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Will running an 18x11 wheel ruin my car?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will running an 18x11 wheel ruin my car?

Hey guys, so I took the plunge and ordered a wide body back in January

I am now stuck with the dilemma of, well, my wheels will look sunken in unless I go with 18x11 wheels. Thinking about it more however, wouldn't this put much more unnecessary stress on my drive-train and axles? Could this cause me more problems and headaches down the road? Should I just stick with an 18x10.5 wheel and get spacers instead?

Thanks guys I appreciate the info.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much weight different for the 0.5J?
if it's the same tires I think it wouldn't differ by that much?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

I am unsure of the weight, the wheels I was planning on running were the work meister s1r's in 18x11.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:29 PM

honestly I don't think 11J will have so much weight difference than 10.5J.
and I think with the right offset you can have both sit flush with the body kit you're getting.
but someone with more experience than I do should chime in as I'm not an expert=P
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I think the only issue is slightly increased wear and tear on the wheel bearings. But I don't believe you need to worry about that for a long time.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:20 AM

Your power steering is going to hate you with either wheel since you will have added surface area and friction against the ground and you're going to have some more wear and tear on the wheel bearings and other steering components but that's not the end of the world. I wouldn't say it's going to ruin anything.

You can get a 9J wheel to sit flush with your widebody with the right spacers and offset, it's not impossible just takes some math and figuring out. And extended lugs. But if you want a 10.5J or an 11J then do it, it's going to be meaty as hell. You'll be running anywhere from a 285 to a 300 series tire with an 11J.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:57 AM

Pictures or it didn't happen. =)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:28 AM

As Solo eloquently stated:

:
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help guys. I will post pictures when the car is done however as of now I am still waiting for the kit to even arrive, and I'm sure the wait for the wheels won't be pretty either.

But here is the details:

varis runduce front bumper
chargespeed front fenders
chargespeed rear fenders
varis rear diffuser
work meister s1r's
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have 10.5 with +12 offset. Scrub radius increase sucks, but it doesn't bother me enough to ***** about it. THe 295's my wheels now fit more than makeup for any inconveniences in steering feel.

Oh, and i'm also running 7.5 degrees of caster, which is way more than stock. Definately increases steering feel. Probably too much now that my offset is crazy. I'd rather have +22 offset in 10.5, but the rims i wanted were only offered in +12. on 11 inch rims, i'd probably look for something in the +15 to +10 range. Not sure anything more than that would fit up front (hitting the control arm).

Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

oh, and i refuse to run any more camber than i need to at the track (2.7F 1.8 R). Rear fenders rolled to the max, front fenders untouched. Removed the fender liner tho. Tire sizes above are 295/30/18. Ride height is 61mm front and 68mm rear. Rear needs to be raised 3mm or so, it rubs on BIG bumps at high speed. This is measured from ground to bottom of weld seam. KW coils.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 02:43 PM

Which bushing did you buy for that caster? I'm about to order the Super Pro kit zero offset. That looks like turn 5 in the background of Harris Hill in San Marcos. Are you a member there?
Old May 1, 2015, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thycidides
Which bushing did you buy for that caster? I'm about to order the Super Pro kit zero offset. That looks like turn 5 in the background of Harris Hill in San Marcos. Are you a member there?
It is harris hill!!! No, not a member. Just did a trackday there with some group. Its a SUPER bumpy track. I reccomend turning all settings down to a minimum, even swaybars, in order to run that track. I was loosing a solid 5 sec per lap due to the car being super sketch over bumps. Felt like i was driving a jet ski.

I used the perrin PSRS. In retrospect, the zero offset would be better i think. Whatever super pro has, get it. It is going to be miles better than whiteline, and the perrin parts i don't think are properly designed. THey designed a press fit bushing with a knurl........ For those of you that don't know, in engineering speak, that means you have no ****ing clue what you're doing.
Old May 1, 2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Buguy
I am unsure of the weight, the wheels I was planning on running were the work meister s1r's in 18x11.
If you are getting S1R's you can get 18x10.5 -25 which would be similar to 18x11 +0. Just order them with a negative offset if. You can fit a 285 tire easily with the correct offsets.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Steez that's what I ended up doing, all my parts are finally coming in within the next few weeks!!!!

Quick Reply: Will running an 18x11 wheel ruin my car?