Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

High Pitch Whistle/Whine/Resonance noise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Pitch Whistle/Whine/Resonance noise

I hope someone can help narrow this down as I'm stumped.

2015 GSR. Noticed a few days ago that when I get up to about 65mph i start to hear a high decible resonating whine/whistle sound from the front left of the car. I checked my dash cam and the mic is unable to pick up the sound its so high. It's loud and high enough to actually hurt my ears. It just hits the right pitch. It also really seems to be speed related as the same rpms in a lower gear do not cause the noise.

I first though it was wind noise but iv'e heard it with the windows down and up. Obviously easier to hear when the windows are up. Even stranger, is after driving for a few minutes at that speed, the noise will randomly cut out, then disappear altogether. Just to appear again the next time i drive. Which is why i ruled out wind noise. It doesn't change either, it is the same besides the cutting in/out and driving faster doesn't change the pitch or make it louder, driving slower cuts it off completely (ie: 60mph = no noise).

It doesn't make sense but the noise started after i washed the car at a coin wash. All i did was hose off the car. next day this strange noise started.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once the noise starts, is it the same pitch regardess of RPM or speed? Or does the pitch change as you speed up/slow down?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Check the side air outlet on your front fender and make sure it is stuck down really well to your fender. That might make a noise if it was passing air out a tiny hole where it is supposed to be flush?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

wheel bearing or cv joint.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zebra4
Once the noise starts, is it the same pitch regardess of RPM or speed? Or does the pitch change as you speed up/slow down?
same pitch if i go faster. as i go slower down to 65 to 60, it starts to cut out. same volume, just starts...stops...starts.... and then is gone if i go under 60. Speed back up and it starts again. Doesn't matter if i touch the brakes or the clutch.

I was going to try and get to 75 and push in the clutch and coast. Haven't done that yet.

Now that I think about it. I'm wrong, it started after i drove on a gravel road for the first time in the car. I took it to the wash to get the dust off.

Could there be gravel dust somewhere?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
wheel bearing or cv joint.
car has 5k miles on it. bearing noise also changes pitch based on speed. this is constant on / off sound.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
One very odd thing that did happen to me that made an odd noise is the rubber surrounding for the windscreen came loos along the top edge and would make noise at certain speeds then stop at lower speeds.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
One very odd thing that did happen to me that made an odd noise is the rubber surrounding for the windscreen came loos along the top edge and would make noise at certain speeds then stop at lower speeds.
Thanks. I'll check that.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:47 AM

i have something similar but i think its more related to throttle/ rpm and seems almost like its coming from the door tweeter. it comes and goes though. ive mostly just ignored it
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:48 PM

hey

hey if you make us a video it will be easier to narrow down!!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by icemann
hey if you make us a video it will be easier to narrow down!!
Tried. It's too high pitched for the mic to pick up over the road noise.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:23 AM

Mine sometimes makes that noise through the damn Dumbo Ear side mirrors. I guess wind gets into them and they start to whistle.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxsteez
Mine sometimes makes that noise through the damn Dumbo Ear side mirrors. I guess wind gets into them and they start to whistle.
So I had the driver's inside door panel off to quiet down some rattles (use camper 1" foam tape - works great) and accidentally pushed the plastic female adapter by the mirror in when putting the tweeter cover back in place. Out of curiosity I removed the driver's mirror just to look around. 3 nuts and a clip, no problem. Anyway, found my plastic female thingy in the bottom of the door and put it back. Put the mirror back in place and buttoned everything back up.

the noise was dramatically reduced. At 70mph, it was constant, but more on/off and not quite as high pitched. But after that, it hasn't happened since. I'm wondering if the rubber seals were vibrating when the wind speed was high enough.

I'm just glad not to hear that ear splitting high pitch noise anymore.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. I really need help with this.

So the noise came back days later.

It is definitely wind related. It was very windy today and with a tail wind at 70 mph, no noise. Head on or cross wind at 50 and it got louder the faster I went and coincided with wind gusts.

Sounds like someone letting out air from a small hole in a balloon.

I ordered and replaced the driver's side weather stripping around the body. No luck. I just ordered replacement weather strip around the door. See if that helps.

I can't believe I'm the only one who's had this issue. It's quite loud. Makes me want to drive the car head on into a light poll it's that loud and high pitched.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

and before someone says take it to the dealer, i'd rather not tell a dealership to go drive my car at 65+ to hear a high pitched squeel from the door that only happens when it's windy. Not going to have much luck with that.

Quick Reply: High Pitch Whistle/Whine/Resonance noise