Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

new evo with like grind transmission

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new evo with like grind transmission

when I bought my evo new just this year, my second and third gear feels weird. Almost like a grinding or clunk feeling when going in gear. clunk clunk sound. My wife could even hear it. Is that how it is new? doesn't feel like butter and to this day, it's still the same. I mean no problem at all but just a clunk before it goes in.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:10 AM

It's normal. My 2015 gsr does the same thing. There are solutions to reduce or get rid of it (e.g. cocktail of lubricants/additives and/or aftermarket shift linkage bushings). Just search the forum, you should find something useful.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to the dealer asking the same issue. They told me the car hasn't hit the "15k break-in period" A lot of people change their trans fluid to get that smooth shifting. Others change the bushings or even go with a short shifter with heavier knob (does help out). I recently did my 15k service changing out all my fluids. The Car NOW feels smooth.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the lovely Evo X transmission!

If you search enough through this forum, you will find a poll on how many people have this problem. I think it was like 80% of evo owners have this problem, and it blew my mind because I thought I was the only one. Mitsu knows about this problem as well but they aren't gonna do **** about it so don't bother contacting corporate because a ton of us on here have already did that.

There are "fixes" to this "problem" but it doesn't work for everyone. For me, some new transmission fluid and a weighted shift knob helped a bit, but my 1-2 and 2-3 are still notchy and grinds more often than not.

True, your car isn't "broken into" yet, but don't be surprised if it doesn't go away even after its broken into. its just gonna be something you have to get used to.

Try to shift slower and smoother, and just let the shifter glide into the socket without trying to go in fast. Now all in all to answer your question, yes this is normal. This is normal for a $40,000 car. Makes me cry every time.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
All you need to make your transmission shift like it should:

http://www.maperformance.com/krackas...shi-evo-x.html
Old Oct 7, 2015, 06:01 AM

Sounds good, I just really thought something was wrong but pretty much know that this is how it is. Thanks a lot everyone.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by shekaar
all you need to make your transmission shift like it should:

http://www.maperformance.com/krackas...shi-evo-x.html
wow.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
push against the shifter to the H pattern when you shift 1st to 2nd firmly.

I happen to be just drove one of claimed notchy ( newer 2014 EvoX GSR) lately, Besides the usual Evo "clunky" transmission feel, there was no grinding. Even the owner was surprised.

Evo 5 speed is a brilliant transmission, nothing wrong with it. It is not designed for DD- ing but to hold power and be fast.

So it takes abuse amazingly, but the "trade off" is not being super light (for me = numb). Granted the STI has a better feel when you shift with that one, but that is a fixed based shifter system since coming out of the transmission, so it can not be moved back more or any where.

Mean while the EVo is a cable shifter, and there for easy to move or relocate when you build the car for race. ( hence why they build this car)

etc.

I would say keep the stock fluid , get a heavy shifter knob, under hood bushings and shifter cage bushing, if you like even the TMW shifter cage. That is all i would do make the shifting experience better.
I did these, mods and the shifter so much more race like and precise. But still clunks. I never had a grind in any of my evo, besides my old 8 when the syncros did go wrong. ( that was an actual known Evo 8 problem which was traceable mechanically).

This is my opinion, if that matters .

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 7, 2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
about the shifter in Cracka package. I did installed once the short throw shifter in my race car to see how it works for me in racing.
It was for me a total failure. When you race you do fight against some G'S with your body, so it is for me harder to to do a shifting with a short throw shifter. I never thought is a good idea , but i had to try it.

Makes the shifting physically harder via a shorter stick. Makes the H pattern feel closer , there for easier to misshift. I think actually makes the shifting worst.

Here is when i installed it and tried it first time...

I got rid of it. My recommendation dont do short shifter, not worth it.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 10, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ Would you say it because of the way you use the short shifter? "Normal" (lol) drivers seems to like having a short shifter and says it fixes the grinding issue.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 08:47 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
^^^ Would you say it because of the way you use the short shifter? "Normal" (lol) drivers seems to like having a short shifter and says it fixes the grinding issue.
Short shifter is probably not for everyone, man.
I had twm cage and SS, but it actually shifts worse.
I had to add a 3 inch extension , now it is a lil higher than stock, but feels much better.
I think this could be car dependent.
If a car shifts very butterfly smooth without short shifter, a short shifter might improve the feel.
But if a car is already clunky and notchy, a short shifter might make it worse.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not a fan of short shifters. Had one in the last evo, made shifting harder and grind worse. Driven friends STI, it was horrible. mine is stock except for heavy *** knob. I have no issues at all.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Think about it. A short shifter shortens the throw. That means each shift is faster than stock. This means each gear's synchro has less time to do it's job, which in turn increases the wear on the synchro. Yes, you should be able to shift faster with a short throw so you should see a performance boost. But, you will also see shorter synchro life and, in theory, poorer shift quality. Stick to the bushings to tighten things up....
Old Oct 10, 2015, 07:37 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I'm not a fan of short shifters. Had one in the last evo, made shifting harder and grind worse. Driven friends STI, it was horrible. mine is stock except for heavy *** knob. I have no issues at all.
+1. I'll never use a short shifter again... but that's me. The X feels great stock with a heavy knob.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Dislike short shifters as well.

Quick Reply: new evo with like grind transmission