Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best way to disable Seat Airbags? (Evo X recaros in a NON Airbag car)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to disable Seat Airbags? (Evo X recaros in a NON Airbag car)

Hey guys,

I recently purchased some Evo X recaros for my non evo car and ive searched and searched but only came up with solutions for clearing airbag codes in the computer, dash lights, etc...

My situation: my car is not equipped with seat airbags so Id like to know the best, safest way to keep the evo recaro airbags from any unwanted deployment. Surely I cannot just leave the connectors under the seat disconnected. I figure the right mixture of movement, carpet, and static could be bad news lol.

I see that recaro sells a kit "Recaro Bypass/immobilizing" system but its petty pricey since i just need to "immobilize" or disable the airbags on the seats themselves and not screw around with tricking the computer.

Maybe some sort of plug or cap, or simple solution im not aware of, im not sure, hopefully someone can help me out LOVE the seats, just need to figure out how to mount them in my car

thanks in advance
Old Nov 15, 2015, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know man, but.. What car did you put them in anyway?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That kit Recaro sells is to turn off the SRS light on the dash not disable the seats. I believe that if the seats are not plug in there is no way they can go off. The sensor is not on the seat itself.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
That kit Recaro sells is to turn off the SRS light on the dash not disable the seats. I believe that if the seats are not plug in there is no way they can go off. The sensor is not on the seat itself.
Oh I see, reason I mentioned that recaro kit is because they mention

"Each kit comes with the parts to both fit non-airbag seats in an airbag car and airbag seats in a non-airbag car, or disable the airbags while retaining the same seats."

and by the looks of the kit it looks really simple.

Would there be any chance the seat bags would go off from any unwanted static sending a signal through the disconnected plug prongs?

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I don't know man, but.. What car did you put them in anyway?
I am putting them in this thing,

Old Nov 15, 2015, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tape up the plugs on the wiring and tuck them away, you should be fine.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SVPxTuRbO
awesome thanks
Old Nov 16, 2015, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SVPxTuRbO
Electrical tape, if you didn't know (prevents static for that "accidental" discharge).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by adron
Hey guys,

I recently purchased some Evo X recaros for my non evo car and ive searched and searched but only came up with solutions for clearing airbag codes in the computer, dash lights, etc...

My situation: my car is not equipped with seat airbags so Id like to know the best, safest way to keep the evo recaro airbags from any unwanted deployment. Surely I cannot just leave the connectors under the seat disconnected. I figure the right mixture of movement, carpet, and static could be bad news lol.

I see that recaro sells a kit "Recaro Bypass/immobilizing" system but its petty pricey since i just need to "immobilize" or disable the airbags on the seats themselves and not screw around with tricking the computer.

Maybe some sort of plug or cap, or simple solution im not aware of, im not sure, hopefully someone can help me out LOVE the seats, just need to figure out how to mount them in my car

thanks in advance

You got a link for that kit bro??