Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to achieve my desired stance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to achieve my desired stance

Alright so I've seen a few threads floating around on this but none really answer my question. looking for honest cool responses ! I'm new to the evo X community i came from an evo 8. I've never lowered a car before and don't know to much about correct wheel offset and tire size and coil over or lowering spring setup for the stance i desire. i looking to lower my evo X final edition to get that low race fit look. not looking for negative camber or a bagged look. I'm simply trying to get that aggressive meaty fittament look!
i have some pictures ill post up of some examples, I'm looking for reccomended wheels, sizes, coils or spring? can i get this result with the stock wheels? anything i need to know about getting this look to my X. cheaper route? more expensive route? better route? any info you could provide is awesome! post pics of your setup !

Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Stancing an AWD performance car is making said car worthless and putting looks ahead of performance. Get some Ohlin's if you're serious about springs / handling. If this is a looks only approach, not sure why you got an EVO to be honest, that really ruins the car.

Enjoy and it's all your money and car in the end, but you put it out on the internet so opinions will be coming in, good and bad.

Personally I would seek to improve the already incredible handling, not make the car into some lame car you have to ease up cracks in the concrete or have your buddies lean on your bumper just to get up a simple driveway.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
18x10.5 +22 wheels with 275/35r18's, lower the car on coilovers, roll and pull the rear fenders. And push the inner liners out of the way up front.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Step 1 on how to stance an Evo X: sell the car, you don't deserve it

That being said, can't go wrong with Ohlins to lower the car an inch or two and improve the handling.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 08:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

18x9.5" offset +15 lowered on H&R springs with stock shocks and stock 245/45/18. Zero fender/body modifications.

The simplest way to make your evo look proper is quality lowering springs. I chose H&R for my desired drop and contrary to popular belief they work exceptionally well with stock shocks. My ride is firm with good rebound over bumps and at highway speed. Springs and shocks will ride better than any sub $2000 coilovers which you do not need for a street car. For wheels choose 18x9.5" wheels with +15 to +22 offset. That size gives you plenty of good tire options that require little to no additional fender modifications. Avoid 10.5" rims unless you plan on running 275 or larger tires.

Search the evo X aggressive fitment thread for ideas.... and stop using the word "stance".
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You got that clean ride height front and back, with just springs? NICE!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
18x9.5 +15 with 5mm spacers all around sitting on 265/35/18's lowered on H&R springs. Just a slight roll in the rear. Camber is -2 (f) and -1.5 (r) with 0 toe all around

Last edited by e_kobz; Feb 15, 2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DeweyD
Step 1 on how to stance an Evo X: sell the car, you don't deserve it

That being said, can't go wrong with Ohlins to lower the car an inch or two and improve the handling.
If you read the whole post, he's not looking to "stance" the car with negative camber and stretched tires. He is looking achieve a desirable stance. IE; tastefully lowered with wide tires.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you read the whole post, he's not looking to "stance" the car with negative camber and stretched tires. He is looking achieve a desirable stance. IE; tastefully lowered with wide tires.
I read the entire post sir, and it included the word "stance".

You also used the words "desirable stance". I don't care what he meant. The word Stance + Evo = gtfo (maybe I am just in a bad mood today)
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

You also used the words "desirable stance". I don't care what he meant. The word Stance + Evo = gtfo (maybe I am just in a bad mood today)
That's how I read it. And he didn't exactly post up performance oriented lowering approaches. The ones he posted are the 'push up the driveway' kind of cars that I detest.

Tough love sometimes results in positive results. The Ohlins are an excellent option to achieve a lower ride height but not sacrifice what makes this car so great - handling.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Bingo!! Thanks for actually taking a few seconds to read and understand instead of lighting me up for the things I WANT on MY car
Old Feb 15, 2016, 08:25 PM

I'm sorry the word stance came out and everybody had to throw a fit, I'm simply trying to lower my car and get a much more aggressive look to it, and as far as I'm concerned I don't plant on taking it drifting down any dirt roads anytime soon in my new final edition. So bringing it lower to the ground is not going to negatively affect performance!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I bought the Evo based on it's performance credibility, because I wanted to race it and have fun driving it. It is my belief that modifying for looks alone is a waste of the car's talents. Sometimes I forget that people purchase it only because they think it looks cool or they want to make a statement. It makes me sad that there are Evo's out there not driving on gravelly canyon roads or in some form of Motorsport, but rather just looking pretty and making their owners feel good about themselves.

When I see someone pursue a path towards modifying for looks alone, I see it as a waste. Granted lowering the car a modest amount will likely improve, rather than hurt handling; it doesn't change the fact that you appeared to be only interested in looks without regard to any kind of performance whatsoever.

But to each there own, there are many reasons someone buys a car, and they don't all have to be MY reasons. A lot of us don't care about looks as much, some care about both, some only want looks.

So to attempt to answer your original question, Ohlins with maybe a 1.5 inch drop and a 9.5 inch wheel with an offset in the low 20's. Maybe do a 255-275 section width tire depending on the brand. This wouldn't require an extreme amount of fender work, and the Ohlins would allow you to adjust front end camber.

Alternatively you could just get lowering springs to preserve the ride and save money, however you can't easily adjust camber and the spring rates and stock shocks probably won't match as well.

The concept of and even just the word "stance" makes my skin crawl
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

All that shows is that you have an issue with reading comprehension.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

We got it, let it go. The word stance is a lightning rod around here as you found out. We now know that wasn't your goal, as careful re-reading of your OP does indicate that, but the word STANCE really jumps out and sends people down the wrong road.

My suggestion still stands, Ohlins are the best of all worlds. Improves your handling, has the lower effect you are looking for, and is a great addition to the car in every aspect.

The guy tried to explain himself, as did I and others, you need to put your hackles down and just move on. We all have...

Quick Reply: How to achieve my desired stance