Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

axle back and catback comparo..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
axle back and catback comparo..

From what I have read, a cb doesn't really yield gains (no test pipe), and all I am after is a better tone (and bigger nicer tips)...will an axle back do? Is there an actual difference in tone of a CB alone? When I look at videos, the nice grunt toned exhaust seem to all be fielding a test pipe. Any help is really appreciated.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
An axel back will do what you are looking for, but your choices will be limited. A catback is super easy to install and doesn't cost much more so I would still lean towards that. Many more sounds/looks to choose from.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeweyD
An axel back will do what you are looking for, but your choices will be limited. A catback is super easy to install and doesn't cost much more so I would still lean towards that. Many more sounds/looks to choose from.
Thanks! I am looking the options, there are just so many for an Evo. Surprising. Will the sound be better on a CB w/o a test pipe? Or you think it will be the same as an axle back?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

My experience has been that the choice in muffler has more to do with sound than anything else. Remove the muffler section completely and see for yourself . The only real difference in sound between axle vs catback will be that the axel back retains the stock resonator in the mid pipe.

I personally would still get a catback because there aren't axelback versions of the exhausts I like. (Tomei, ETS V2 Quiet, etc,)

Keep in mind you are future proof with a catback. What if some day in the future you decide you need more power? I lasted about 3 months before I got a tune lol.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Also a test pipe/hfc will indeed increase the sound levels a fair amount, but even on a stock muffler it should still be relatively quiet. When I put on my Tomei Expreme single exit exhaust I still had the stock DP and cat. The overall noise level increased dramatically.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Just spend the extra money and get a cat back. Most axle backs like someone pointed out will not work with the stock mid pipe.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
Just spend the extra money and get a cat back. Most axle backs like someone pointed out will not work with the stock mid pipe.
I didn't point that out, and I'm the only one that responded this far???
Old Feb 24, 2016, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
I didn't point that out, and I'm the only one that responded this far???

Lol since you're so passionate bout responding 3 times on the same thread it's all u man. Jeez. Maybe you should just edit your first response next time.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

My experience has been that the choice in muffler has more to do with sound than anything else. Remove the muffler section completely and see for yourself . The only real difference in sound between axle vs catback will be that the axel back retains the stock resonator in the mid pipe.

I personally would still get a catback because there aren't axelback versions of the exhausts I like. (Tomei, ETS V2 Quiet, etc,)

Keep in mind you are future proof with a catback. What if some day in the future you decide you need more power? I lasted about 3 months before I got a tune lol.
Thanks DeweyD!!!! Good stuff. Wouldn't having the stock resonator in an axleback play a huge role in sound levels and tone, as opposed to not having it in a CB?

I was thinking of grabbing an HKS axleback, looks good.. just wasn't sure about sound. If a CB was throaty and gave a lot even without a test pipe, I'd jump. But its sounding like not too big a difference unless I do a test pipe..
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Also a test pipe/hfc will indeed increase the sound levels a fair amount, but even on a stock muffler it should still be relatively quiet. When I put on my Tomei Expreme single exit exhaust I still had the stock DP and cat. The overall noise level increased dramatically.
Interesting, thanks. I don't think I will own the Evo all that long and just wanted something for a better appearance and some throatiness as the stock exhaust is whisper quiet.

Excuse my ignorance, does that mean you did not do a test pipe and saw dramatic sound level increase from a cb?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that! Good information for sure. Appreciate the help.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
There are many catbacks that will dramatically increase noise even with the stock cat in place. Putting a test pipe in will just further increase that noise.

Skip the axleback and grab a nice catback, they can be quite loud.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shekaar
There are many catbacks that will dramatically increase noise even with the stock cat in place. Putting a test pipe in will just further increase that noise.

Skip the axleback and grab a nice catback, they can be quite loud.
Nice. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Excuse my ignorance, does that mean you did not do a test pipe and saw dramatic sound level increase from a cb?
So I did a HFC, not a test pipe, but this was months after I did the CB, so I experienced both sound changes at different times. The greatest sound increase I noticed was going to a CB.

The car went from a 4/10 to an 8/10 with the Tomei CB. Adding a DP and HFC took it to a 9/10 if that makes sense.

Think about it this way, what quiets the exhaust down more, having a cat or having a muffler? Just get a CB or AB that barely has a muffler and it will get much louder.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

So I did a HFC, not a test pipe, but this was months after I did the CB, so I experienced both sound changes at different times. The greatest sound increase I noticed was going to a CB.

The car went from a 4/10 to an 8/10 with the Tomei CB. Adding a DP and HFC took it to a 9/10 if that makes sense.

Think about it this way, what quiets the exhaust down more, having a cat or having a muffler? Just get a CB or AB that barely has a muffler and it will get much louder.
Awesome! Thanks! The "4/10" helped put it in perspective. Appreciate it!