Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Another aem intake question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another aem intake question

Sorry guys but after months of research and ratio of engine bays with the aem vs open element intakes (ets and ams mainly) on various low and high powered builds, I wonder if I should remove the intake cover on mine, keep it as is, or replace all together.

I hear that I would gain more whp/trq without the lid , which makes me wonder if I'd be happier with it or something different.

Other hand all that ambient engine temperature will affect induction a bit too.

Just looking for more up to date feedback my evo family
Old Mar 23, 2016, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I think the shroud is there to direct air into the intake cone through the standard ducting that exists in the car, through the slots in the grill. I doubt you would get more HP from removing the shroud and would probably just expose it to more debris and heat from the engine so not sure how this would be an improvement. Also an intake really doesn't gain you much HP. Do you have the basic boltons like Test pipe, EBCS, UICP and tune? If not, start there which will wake up what gains you could be seeing from your intake. An intake alone especially without a tune will yield very little.

My .02 cents
Old Mar 23, 2016, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is an AEM intake any better than a turbo inlet and a higher flowing panel filter on the stock box?

I've had the second set up for a few months but finally bought an STM intake to really open it up for my e85 tune.