Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Catted down pipe/test pipe compatibility

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catted down pipe/test pipe compatibility

Hi all,

Im looking to install the HKS super turbo exhaust with mid pipe on my 15 evo gsr but i am not sure what catted down/test pipes will be compatible with it. Im thinking AMS or ETS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You don't need a downpipe really until you get a bigger turbo. Do a bit more research before pulling the trigger

Drop in filter (cosworth is good and doesn't need to be oiled)
Test pipe
EBCS
UICP
Protune

Is generally the most bang for your buck for the first round of mods.

Enjoy and take your time!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan19984
Hi all,

Im looking to install the HKS super turbo exhaust with mid pipe on my 15 evo gsr but i am not sure what catted down/test pipes will be compatible with it. Im thinking AMS or ETS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Almost all systems work with each other really. I just put the HKS Super Turbo catback on my car last weekend, replacing the Tomei Expreme Ti. They both mated up to an ETS resonated test pipe, which has in turn been mated to both the AMS widemouth downpipe and now a CBRD EFR downpipe.

Napalm is correct with his advice, I would just get a test pipe now and leave the downpipe until you get a bigger turbo.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
A lot of times, when you purchase just the cat-back, you're given the option for an adapter plate so that the exhaust can mate up to the stock cat/mid-pipe.

Although the cat-back exhaust won't give you much if any power gains, its an easy mod since there's no need for a tune. If you really want just the HKS exhaust I would consider looking into getting the adapter plate so it can mount up to the OEM Cat section.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 07:31 AM

Currently i only have a K & N air filter in. I have just purchased a cobb ap. Now im trying to decide what to to do next before i install a new map. I was thinking 3" turbo back and ebcs. Then cobb short ram air intake n ams front mount intercooler with piping. Thought since i was installing exhaust with mid pipe tedt pipe i would do the down pipe too...
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Currently i only have a K & N air filter in. I have just purchased a cobb ap. Now im trying to decide what to to do next before i install a new map. I was thinking 3" turbo back and ebcs. Then cobb short ram air intake n ams front mount intercooler with piping. Thought since i was installing exhaust with mid pipe tedt pipe i would do the down pipe too...
Unless you are getting a protune for the car, using the Accessport, you need to be sure to stick to what the AccessPort supports and nothing more.

It's only advisable to run an Accessport if they say run X,Y,Z, then you put that on your car and run their tune. Once you deviate from their part list and downloadable off the shelf tune, you need a protune. At that point it is questionable if having an Accessport is worth it at all. You can get better gauges than the Accessport provides, and most people don't like to plug and unplug their Accessport whenever they get in and out of the car.

I think you are approaching this car a bit like a Subaru, something I did at one time when I was new to EVO's lol. With a Subaru an Accessport is gospel, here? Not so much for a variety of reasons.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:15 AM

Ok if i scrap the cobb ap n get a pro tune what sorts of items are must haves? I want to stay catted, i want to increase power n boost and i want it to sound nice but not necessarily crszy loud. I like the hks super turbo but am open to suggestions.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok if i scrap the cobb ap n get a pro tune what sorts of items are must haves? I want to stay catted, i want to increase power n boost and i want it to sound nice but not necessarily crszy loud. I like the hks super turbo but am open to suggestions.
Look at the first reply.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe add an open element intake if you want.