Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Window rain guards for Final Editions

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window rain guards for Final Editions

I see a lot of people seem to have gotten the window rain guards installed. I know from experience that there are some models of cars that you can crack the windows in the rain (an inch or two) and rain isn't a problem, but other models even having them down an inch will let the rain in. Is the Final Edition one of those models that really needs the rain guards or are most people just getting them for cosmetic reasons?
Old May 27, 2016, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It is just for looks bro. You do not need them. I had the dealer install mine just in case someone else messed it up. $30 install. Worth every just because they look awesome. I do not use them at all for what they are for.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rain guards

They are actually called wind deflectors and if you smoke in your car while driving they are freaking awesome they act like a vent to pull all the smoke out. I use the OEM ones and and there is never any water that gets in if you just crack your window about 1 inch.
Old May 27, 2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
It is just for looks bro. You do not need them. I had the dealer install mine just in case someone else messed it up. $30 install. Worth every just because they look awesome. I do not use them at all for what they are for.
My dealership offered to install them for free since I bought my FE there 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the info!
Old May 27, 2016, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I hate those things.
Old May 27, 2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by moparfan
I hate those things.
How come?
Old May 31, 2016, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Mainly looks, help some during the rain depending on how far you roll down windows. I like mine, they set off the car pretty nicely.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
At least in my area they appear mostly on crappy cars - not that it matters. It's mostly because I don't like the way they look.

Originally Posted by Greyfax
How come?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It is just for looks bro. You do not need them.
Not true...

How about that, because they require you to have, at the least, your driver window open on the motorsports track to "point by" the drivers behind you, to pass, the deflectors are definitely useful in the rain. It also provides for ventilation in wet weather, allowing you to keep all the windows down on the track, or otherwise (some of us have eliminated the A/C due to fitment issues).

Last edited by truthdweller; Aug 6, 2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Not true...

How about that, because they require you to have, at the least, your driver window open on the motorsports track to "point by" the drivers behind you, to pass, the deflectors are definitely useful in the rain. It also provides for ventilation in wet weather, allowing you to keep all the windows down on the track, or otherwise (some of us have eliminated the A/C due to fitment issues).
*Most* Evo owners have never even set foot on a track. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the numbers are less than 10%, so it actually IS true UNLESS you're a track person. And since most people definitely are not, it's very valid to say that his comment is in fact true. I went ahead and got them anyway, because I personally think they add to the looks of the car, but they definitely are not "needed" (again, UNLESS you're one of the very VERY small minority of owners who do track events.)
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Greyfax
*Most* Evo owners have never even set foot on a track. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the numbers are less than 10%, so it actually IS true UNLESS you're a track person.
I see, similar to:

"Most of the general population doesn't surf, but if they did, they'd be surfing."

You forgot to factor in those that have removed their AC compressor for various reasons, who benefit from these window guards when it's raining and need additional ventilation. But then again, they're in the minority too....
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

My whole point for challenging your statement, is that, I see remarks like this on FB, where "everybody is an expert."

When I see some young kid, or seasoned vet, asking an honest question for help, and all they get are "expert" comments, I frequently private message them and recommend that they get an account over on evolutionm.net where "most of the people there know what they're talking about, and the site it's a wealth of information on Mitsubishis." Im just trying to keep it that way.

I came into the mod/tuner circles nearly four years ago at the young age of (50) and received nothing but polite, engaging, helpful, appropriate comments regarding everything from simple mods, to eventual frustrating turbo fitment issues...and I was as green as it came. I've met a handful of the guys that have helped me, from Ottawa Canada, to Cynthiana, KY, and I couldn't be more impressed.

Last edited by truthdweller; Aug 6, 2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Btw, I found this thread because I too am in the market to purchase some window guards, for I now have a practical need for them, both reasons have already been mentioned. Any recommendations to a supplier would be helpful.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 08:45 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
On 2 of my 3 Xs I have had them installed. They definitely prevent rain from getting in when the window is cracked. The OEM ones are very high quality imo. They have metal clips, and the double sided tape seals well. It rains a lot in Oregon and it is really nice to have them not just for the track but for casual driving. I don't like to have my windows up all the time, it's nice to get some fresh air while heading to work. Also doesn't blow my hair all over the place with them installed, so I can pretend to look suave when I get to work

I'll get them installed before the rainy season starts, but for now not a big deal.

The only problem I've noticed is the windows seem to rattle with them installed. It does it on my wife's outlander sport and my Frontier as well though
Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Um wat?

No, they're not "just for looks, bro". They're called wind deflectors for a reason; they deflect wind. Another perk is to be able to crack your window while it's raining for ventilation purposes as well.

I have a set installed on my '12 and love them. They may not look the greatest, but their usefulness surpasses the need to look 'pretty'. I'm able to roll a window down and not get blasted in the face with wind, (contacts don't like hair dryers in the eyeballs) and I'm able to crack winds while it's raining.