Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Drop-in filters, Evo Xs

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop-in filters, Evo Xs

I wanted to double check something since I'm still a total newb.

Everywhere I read, I see "anytime you do anything that affects the performance of the car except a catback, get a tune."

Does this include drop-in air filters? Not intake, just the drop-in variety? I got a Works after looking at some comparisons and seeing that its the cheapest 18hp I'll ever get and just wondered if it's something I should save to do with other bolt-ons so I don't have to keep re-tuning or if I can stick that baby in tomorrow.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just a drop in Cosworth is fine and doesn't require oil. I felt a difference with just that, a positive one. Subarus are more sensitive to a drop in or change to the intake, EVO's a bit more resilient.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:53 PM

I got Works, not Cosworth. Works gave the biggest increase in hp. But you answered my question - thanks.

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Just a drop in Cosworth is fine and doesn't require oil. I felt a difference with just that, a positive one. Subarus are more sensitive to a drop in or change to the intake, EVO's a bit more resilient.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyfax
I got Works, not Cosworth. Works gave the biggest increase in hp. But you answered my question - thanks.
The engines filtration is more important than even 50 hp IMO. Anything that let's in dirt... oil type filters will kill your engine
Old May 29, 2016, 12:49 AM

I was told that it didn't really matter because any particles that did get in just got combusted into nothing. It's not like the stuff ends up going through your fuel injectors....

Is Cosworth the highest hp increase out of the non-oil drop-ins?
Old May 29, 2016, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All drop in filter will basically do the same thing. Since you have a works filter use that. I bought a used cosworth so that's what I use. Besides a little more noise, maybe,I don't see a large difference. I highly doubt a drop in filter will give 18 hp but companies gotta sell a product.
Old May 29, 2016, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by 20redfire03
I highly doubt a drop in filter will give 18 hp but companies gotta sell a product.
It wasn't the manufacturer that claimed the 18hp increase. These were dyno test results. And if people are saying oil based filters are bad for the engine, I'm certainly not going to use one until I verify the truth of that statement. In fact I already ordered a Cosworth. The Works can stay in the package until I determine whether or not the other statement about it being harmful to the engine is true or not.
Old May 29, 2016, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the Cobb oiled drop-in and have no issues and did notice a difference in sound and performance. The reason people don't like the oiled filters or say they are bad is because of the oil soak on the MAF. TBH just don't soak the damn filter with oil, it takes very little oil to work the way it was intended.
Old May 29, 2016, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was told that it didn't really matter because any particles that did get in just got combusted into nothing. It's not like the stuff ends up going through your fuel injectors....

Is Cosworth the highest hp increase out of the non-oil drop-ins?

I feel like this isn't true. If tiny stuff gets in your intake, and the air is compressed, mixed with fuel, combusted then expelled, I'd think that tiny thing that get through your filter would build up in the cylinder.

Idk tho, correct if wrong.
Old May 29, 2016, 06:24 AM

The good thing about these forums is that there is no shortage of opinions on anything you could think to ask about. The bad thing about these forums is that there is no shortage of opinions on anything you could think to ask about.

Conflicting answers are the norm and clear-cut consensus is a rare bird indeed - this is what I am figuring out here. But as I said before, until and unless I come to determine that drop-ins that use oil aren't a problem, I'm going to stick with the Cosworth. Besides, from the dyno results I have seen, the Works is only 2.5hp ahead of the Cosworth, so I'd definitely rather play it safe than risk it over less than 3hp.

So far no one has said that I should get a tune if I change the drop-in... but I figure I'll call a shop next week and ask a professional before I actually decide to put it in.
Old May 29, 2016, 06:28 AM

I agree with u 100%. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there lol. If anythung, your last statement should be agreed on by anyone else posting in the forums. A professional's opinion will hold WAY more weight.
Old May 29, 2016, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

It wasn't the manufacturer that claimed the 18hp increase. These were dyno test results. And if people are saying oil based filters are bad for the engine, I'm certainly not going to use one until I verify the truth of that statement. In fact I already ordered a Cosworth. The Works can stay in the package until I determine whether or not the other statement about it being harmful to the engine is true or not.
I think the main problem I have with the oil filters is it's difficult to know how much oil to add to them. That's where the issue lies. That excess oil if there can coat your MAF and just make a mess imo.

So I like to keep it simple. Cosworth non oiled filter = car felt better when stock.

It is 100000% ok to run a drop in filter without a tune. The only time you need to worry about a tune is with a very aggressive full cold air intake.
Old May 29, 2016, 07:15 AM

Napalm,

An aggressive cold air intake would be considered as one that replaces factory piping with metal, correct? I'd imagine the benefit would be greater than a drop in one. Any cons in your opinion (minus the tune)?
Old May 29, 2016, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Napalm,

An aggressive cold air intake would be considered as one that replaces factory piping with metal, correct? I'd imagine the benefit would be greater than a drop in one. Any cons in your opinion (minus the tune)?
I think the gains minimal over a drop in until you get a lot more power like an upgraded turbo. With more power, sure a full intake should net more than a drop in but basic bolt on's I'm not sure how much more would we be talking.

Anyone have any input on basic bolt ons with a CAI vs drop in?