Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Possible bad flywheel but okay clutch??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possible bad flywheel but okay clutch??

Hey guys I really need some educated opinions. I have a 2014 gsr. Stock clutch gave out at about 25k miles. Took it to a shop, they sent the stock flywheel to be replaced and put on a stage 3 comp clutch. I just hit 53k miles and I feel the gears starting to slip. First and second are solid. But once I get to 3rd and floor it, the gear slips before it catches. 4th barely slips but holds pretty well all the way to redline. So it's slightly different than when my stock clutch started slipping.

The last thing that happened with the car was I had to back it into my parents garage which is on a big incline, so it took some revving and slipping to get it up into the garage. It sat for two days after that before I pulled it out and noticed the slipping.

So my question is, with it only being 25k miles on my comp clutch (I don't drive my car hard, done maybe 3 launches, mostly slow city driving on day to day basis) is it possible the previous shop didn't do a good job on resurfacing the flywheel or the flywheel could have been bad and now it's causing these issues? Is there any way to check for a bad flywheel opposed to a clutch without taking the transmission down? Just seems strange that my clutch is already worn.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch is on its way out. I made the mistake of thinking beefer clutch means longer life. Low and behold segmented ceramic don't last nearly as long as organics. My CC Stage 3 lasted just over 20k, with no launching or track days.