Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

P1875 Damper Sensor Irrational

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1875 Damper Sensor Irrational

Hi all, I'm new to Evolutionm.net just joined as I found some helpful information on one of the threads.

Hoping 1 of you with experience with Evo X's can help.

I bought my 2008 Evo X SST just over a year ago. A few month after buying her I started to get a Light on the dash saying transmission service required and fault code P1875 (damper sensor irrational).

First I will give a bit of background on the car - It had and engine replacement at around 30,000 km due to the original owner putting a piston through the head (don't ask how - I don't know), and has also had an aftermarket cheapy Chinese head unit put in with DVD, SatNav etc. I'm sure you are asking yourself why would I buy it if it had already had an engine replacement (alarm bells should have been ringing) well I let my heart rule my head as it is only 1 of 2 White Evo's in Oman...

Anyways, I took it to the Mitsubishi dealer and had them do an oil and filter change on the Trans.

The light still kept coming on and eventually I started having gear problems. The gears would often slip before engaging. along with this I started noticing other electrical problems such as after driving (any sort of distance and normal driving) when I stopped I would sometimes get the transmission temp light on and even the AFS (Active Front-lighting System) service required light.

Due to where I live (Oman) there are not many garages around with experience on such a car (they don't even sell Evo's in Oman). So I took it to a fairly well known garage in Abu Dhabi who are known for working with Evo's, they diagnosed it as a clutch issue so I had them replace it with a Dodson Clubman clutch. They said that the damper was fine with no broken springs

Unfortunately this did not fix the problem and Tensai eventually said it was some sort of electrical problem they could not detect.

Again I took it to Mitsubishi who said I needed a new gearbox (at a cost of around $42,000)!!!

Next I took it to a garage in Dubai called SAM Performance who are again known for their work with Evo's, they also said it would need a new gearbox which by this point I was ready to buy one (preferably reconditioned) but SAM performance are rubbish with their communication and have not yet getting back to me.

However, on further research I have read a lot of electrical problems which cause this issue relating to the stereo head unit (as previously said I it has a cheap aftermarket unit) also something to do with the speed sensor???

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I would much rather spend some time and money on checking and replacing wiring and stereo before giving in to buying a gearbox!!!!

Sorry for the long winded post just wanted to put as much info in as possible - Please help!!!!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have absolutely no experience with the SST, especially with this fault you're getting, but I would suggest swapping out the head unit with a stock one (if you can find one), and checking the speed sensors as well. Those are the cheapest/quickest fixes before you drop thousands on a new gearbox... which you might as well buy a new car for the $42,000 they'll charge you!
Dang, that's certainly a pickle you're in. I hope it all works out. Keep us updated.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Try giving Jack a call. If shipping your transmission to the US isn't an option, maybe he can shed some light on your problem since he rebuilds the SST.
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/
Old Aug 18, 2016, 06:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
When I first saw this I was going to suggest changing the fluid to OEM if it wasn't (you did that). Then I was going to suggest changing clutch packs (excessive slipping can cause overheating, you did that). At this point it sounds like your sensor is literally bad, which is apart of the TCU / valve body. You may be able to order a valve body from Jacks or Kozmic, but still requires a good working knowledge of the SST as I believe there is a training period once it's replaced. Best bet at this point may be sending it into Jacks or Kozmic
Old Aug 31, 2016, 09:38 AM

Cheers for the responses guys, looks like I may have to break out the big bucks to send my car to the UK or US!!!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 03:22 PM

Having the same issue with my EvoX. P1875 damper issue. Have replaced clutch packs. torque damper and sensor but still have the same problem.
Did you have any joy fixing yours?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 09:43 PM

Hi Bairdy, no still have not solved mine. It has not got any worse and doesn't seem to be affecting anything else.

Still hoping some genius will point me in the right direction
Old Oct 19, 2016, 09:29 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. It seems to be getting worse now actually, and it will happen under hard acceleration above 5000rpm. The clutch just lets go. I think this may be the result of the code being thrown rather than the cause of the problem.
I have a feeling that the clutch packs may be slipping slightly, even though they have just been replaced. Perhaps there is a problem with these?

Anyway, I am taking it to Mitsubishi tomorrow to see what they suggest. I may get a chance to speak to the 'chief engineer' at the garage as he is coming over to pick up the car in the morning.

Ill let you know what happens....
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:50 PM

So I took it to Mitsubishi who plugged it in, read the code, checked the CAN BUS (which was fine) and then told me that I needed a new gearbox. Great. Thanks for all your help.
I can't really blame the mechanics at Mitsubishi - they are not allowed to touch the tranny.
So after much extensive research it would seem that the next thing to try is the mechatronics unit. This is £4400 new from Mitsubishi, but Autotorque in Aylesbury have been BRILLIANT in hepling me with this issue. They have agreed to swap out the mech unit in my car for one that they have serviced and see if this is the issue. Fingers crossed. If it does not solve it, it could be time for a new gearbox. GULP.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
This is usually a magnet coming loose on a shift fork. Few shops can repair it, Kozmic Motorsports is one of them. You can actually ship them your transmission and they can fix it and send it back.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 01:23 PM

I've heard about this, and indeed seen it on Youtube too! However, the transmission has been out and split open to replace the torque damper sensor and this was checked at the time.
Thanks for the advice though!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 01:40 PM

Just to update you: Jack at AUTOTORQUE (Aylesbury) serviced a mech unit that they had and fitted it to the car. It made no difference sadly! On testing again, the sensor was giving no reading at all, and so they figured that the sensor that they fitted (one of the first jobs they did) was a dud.
So they changed it for another one, and HEY PRESTO all is well with the car once again. Let me tell you, it is good to have her back again!
Here's a couple of other things that I learnt along the way:
Mitsubishi don't sell a new sensor - you have to have a new gearbox. This is why the one that they fitted to my car initially cost £300. On doing some further research, I have found what looks like the exact same sensor online (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magnet...PSF_421345|cav) for £30. You might like to order one and have it delivered to you before taking it in to the shop. Could save a few hundred quid! I have to say though, at this point I don't know if the specs match, but it is designed for this exact application and looks identical.
Secondly, I noticed that the operating voltage of these sensors is 4.5v - 24v d.c. As I understand it, the sensor is supplied with 5v by the car (I think?). This is very close to the minimum operating voltage and so it is possible that fluctuations in the supply voltage could be causing the P1875 code (sensor poor performance). I have read about people changing their battery to solve the problem, or alternatively uninstalling new power hungry car stereos to solve the problem. This may suggest that there could be something in this.
Anyway, car is now performing perfectly. A big THANK YOU to Chris and Jack at AUTOTORQUE who stuck with it and treated me really well. Happy days!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 02:22 PM

Update

Originally Posted by Stevenmcgarry84
Hi Bairdy, no still have not solved mine. It has not got any worse and doesn't seem to be affecting anything else.

Still hoping some genius will point me in the right direction
Hi! I just wondered if you managed to get your EVO sorted or whether you hit a wall?

I got the transmission sorted and it was fine for a few months....all good...

.....then.....

...the engine blew up!

Well, bottom end bearings to be exact. A lovely rattly noise and £11,000 for a new engine. Needless to say, I'm driving very carefully now.
Let us know what happened to yours!
Old Jan 14, 2023, 02:06 PM

P1875 need to replace battery

Same issue, my mechanic said change my battery because the voltage was 11.7v (car not being started) , he advised that 11.7 is nearly discharged for car battery. So I replaced the battery and he cleared the code. That scary transmission service light hasnt returned back since, sigh*