Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Leaning out

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaning out

Hey guys, new evox owner as of 2 weeks ago & im having some leaning out issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay so, first off, if i let the car sit cool off when i get into wot it runs like a champ but as soon as i get to normal operating temperature it starts leaning itself out all over the rpm range or when i get into boost it cuts out. I just finished trying to fix this issue with my tuner & after increasing fuel at 15% it changed nothing. Got worse if anything. I still have the black relays & tried switchin the fpr with the other relays of the same type & still nothin. Do i need to switch to the green or blue ones? & if that were to not fix it what else could i look into? Fuel pump? Its thrown me for a loop cuz until it gets up to normal operatinh temps its fine.

Thanks for any help in advance, i really appreciate the help guys...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Ok first things first -

When you buy a used ???? especially one with a turbo, it's best to not run it hard until you have a quality shop check it out and make sure you are running safely. This is especially true with EVO's and other modification friendly cars people love to modify then sell without looking after the next owner.

You worked with a tuner, but it doesn't seem like he knows what he is doing if your car is acting like that. Find a good shop that SPECIALIZES in EVO's, stay out of boost, and have them check your tune and let you know any mods you have on the car. Then if you have any mods, which sounds like you do based on how your car is running, they can tune the car for said mods.

If you post detailed pictures of your engine bay people could suggest what parts are possibly on there. If you don't have a tuner local to you, you can also get e-tuned by a good shop, there are several that can be recommended.

Good luck and don't let your enthusiasm without knowing more lead you to an expensive repair bill!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Ok first things first -

When you buy a used ???? especially one with a turbo, it's best to not run it hard until you have a quality shop check it out and make sure you are running safely. This is especially true with EVO's and other modification friendly cars people love to modify then sell without looking after the next owner.

You worked with a tuner, but it doesn't seem like he knows what he is doing if your car is acting like that. Find a good shop that SPECIALIZES in EVO's, stay out of boost, and have them check your tune and let you know any mods you have on the car. Then if you have any mods, which sounds like you do based on how your car is running, they can tune the car for said mods.

If you post detailed pictures of your engine bay people could suggest what parts are possibly on there. If you don't have a tuner local to you, you can also get e-tuned by a good shop, there are several that can be recommended.

Good luck and don't let your enthusiasm without knowing more lead you to an expensive repair bill!
Yaaa i wasnt very smart about buying the car... Ill admit. I was so thrilled to be buying an evo i let stupidity get the better of me. Apparently the dealership wasnt aware of the issue, but they said do whatever i need to to make it right & theyd reimburse me. So thats definitely a plus there...

As far as mods on the car go, im not a complete newb about cars in general so i can tell that the car has all hard piping, intercooler, aem intake, tanabe medalion exhaust, grimmspeed ebc (which i installed, did same thing without it) & the cobb accessport. From what i can see thats all thats done to it. Im pretty sure theres no internal work but then again, who knows.

As far as my tuner goes, (graham) hes a pretty well knowm tuner in the des moines, IA area. Hes been tuning for about 4 years & ive heard nothin but good about him. Hes specializes in suburas (has a 680hp autocross sti he built/tuned himself) but has done his fair share of evos as well. Hes not familiar mechanically with evos like he is a subaru, but i wouldnt say hes a novice as far as tuning goes.

But anyways, thanks for the input enema. Ill remember those words!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think you can safely run an ebcs without tuning for it? Careful man and good luck with your car
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I don't think you can safely run an ebcs without tuning for it? Careful man and good luck with your car
From what ive been told as long as you stay out of boost youd be okay. Or just switch it to 2 port... But thanks dude, im sure ill need it.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:22 PM

Anyone else care to chime in? Anybody? Somebody? Or how about nobody? I can always count on nobody. Lol. Fock
Old Aug 24, 2016, 04:07 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Does the car have a test pipe? You said it has a ebcs. Have you tried running the stage 3 sf map? I'd start there and keep an eye on it.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sure you've already done this, but I'll remind you to CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS in the engine bay - this includes the FUEL PRESSURE LINE on the front of the block (black vacuum line just under the engine cover, left side). Zip-tie it to make sure it stays on.

Since you've already checked relays, check fuel filter and possibly swap it out. I would think a clogged filter would less flow, no matter how much fuel your tune is trying to give it. It's "easy" in terms of mechanical skill.. it just takes time to rip the back seats out. haha And don't get fuel all over yourself. (would pump be going bad? Not sure how to check that; possibly voltage?)

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find out the problem.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by .M.
Does the car have a test pipe? You said it has a ebcs. Have you tried running the stage 3 sf map? I'd start there and keep an eye on it.
It doesnt look like an aftermarket test pipe. Ive tried all the cobb maps that apply & it does the same thing. Run like a raped ape cool & then leans out & runs like **** once it warms up
Old Aug 24, 2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by HatrixMouse
I'm sure you've already done this, but I'll remind you to CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS in the engine bay - this includes the FUEL PRESSURE LINE on the front of the block (black vacuum line just under the engine cover, left side). Zip-tie it to make sure it stays on.

Since you've already checked relays, check fuel filter and possibly swap it out. I would think a clogged filter would less flow, no matter how much fuel your tune is trying to give it. It's "easy" in terms of mechanical skill.. it just takes time to rip the back seats out. haha And don't get fuel all over yourself. (would pump be going bad? Not sure how to check that; possibly voltage?)

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find out the problem.
Ya im goin to get a new fpr & then look into fuel filter/pump issues. Id just wish i could grasp the whole run awesome when cool & then run like **** when warm bs... Ill make sure to check all my connections & such

Thanks mouse!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:42 AM

Bump
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I admit this does have me stumped.

First you probably shouldn't be going WOT when it's cold and hasn't warmed up, but that said it's amazing that it runs smoothly.

What are you using to monitor AFRs? Could it just be a faulty sensor that is reading off when the temps get higher?

Fuel pressure would be the next thing to check. Can you tell if you have stock fuel rail and stock injectors? (you won't be able to do that without taking fuel rail off, but it's a pretty quick thing to remove).

can't think or anything that would cause a car to lean out as a function of whether it's warm or not. Definitely start with checking your afr sensor.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^He said Fuel pressure. Get you a gauge and report the pressures at different coolant temp.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
I admit this does have me stumped.

First you probably shouldn't be going WOT when it's cold and hasn't warmed up, but that said it's amazing that it runs smoothly.

What are you using to monitor AFRs? Could it just be a faulty sensor that is reading off when the temps get higher?

Fuel pressure would be the next thing to check. Can you tell if you have stock fuel rail and stock injectors? (you won't be able to do that without taking fuel rail off, but it's a pretty quick thing to remove).

can't think or anything that would cause a car to lean out as a function of whether it's warm or not. Definitely start with checking your afr sensor.
Well i dont start it & instantly go & mash on it, Lol. Ill let it sit for a good 2 min or so. I feel thats plenty of time with the warm weather. But ya, idk man. My tuner did tell me my fuel pump could have issues from running too hot. Ive never heard or seen anything about fuel pump running poorly after it warms up, but running fine until then. All signs point to a fuel issue so all i can do now is just check all things fuel related i guess... Im goin to check the rail/injectors tonight or tom. I did throw some injector code yest in cyl 2. Somthin bout it not workn properly... So thats somthin ill be lookn into. I have nothin to monitor afr right now but my tuner said ill be fine if i stay out of boost till i get a wideband. All i know is hope to GOD it isnt somthin major. I swear... If it is, thats just my luck!

Thanks for the support ddawg
Old Aug 24, 2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
^He said Fuel pressure. Get you a gauge and report the pressures at different coolant temp.
I will do that! Thanks

Quick Reply: Leaning out