Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Towed for parking in the wrong lot

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Towed for parking in the wrong lot

Hello

So over the weekend I was in Chicago and my evo got towed for parking in the wrong lot and not the lot I was supposed. (Long story short - the lot had i parked in had entrances from two streets and I mistook it for the lot I was supposed to be in) I accept that I was at fault. That is behind me.

My car is a GSR. It was parked backed up against a wall with parking brake set, and the transmission in 1st. I do not know how they towed my car for the 5 miles to the towing companies impound lot. (I am trying to figure that out, will update when If I find out)

When I went to pick up my car - I looked over it and there were no scratches or damages visually, and I drove out without any problems.
Now - I drove home without any issues - no warning lights, it drove straight (Had winter tires installed and aligned just two days before).

Knowing all of that - if there was any lurking damage to the drivetrain (TC, Diffs, Transmisson), what would be the symptoms (noise, driving characteristics, warning lights) ?

All of your input would be greatly appreciated.

This post could be redundant for me (I hope) - regardless, I thought it may be useful for a future search.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
If they had towed it improperly you would know it pretty fast. (I know because my paper plated 2014 GSR was improperly towed on Christmas Day and was ruined)

If they towed it properly with a flatbed or dollies, you 'should' be ok. When I picked mine up it smelled like differential fluid, then when I pulled up to a stop the 'AWD Service Required' popped up along with a cloud of smoke that wafted past my window while I raged like you wouldn't believe.

So if they broke it, you would probably already know. If they harmed it, the Transfer Case would take the brunt of it, which is a $5000.00 repair.

I got my wrecker to fix my car, but ended up trading it in because it smelled like *** and never 'felt' the same.

Good luck, it sounds like you dodged a bullet though. Maybe they know how to tow better up there? Chances are they jimmied the lock, put it in neutral and disengaged the parking brake. Then they just situated it and towed it away.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had to be a flat bed or like he said put in neutral. Most tow drivers are pretty good at opening doors quickly. Good luck! Sorry to hear that
Old Nov 21, 2016, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
If they had towed it improperly you would know it pretty fast. (I know because my paper plated 2014 GSR was improperly towed on Christmas Day and was ruined)

If they towed it properly with a flatbed or dollies, you 'should' be ok. When I picked mine up it smelled like differential fluid, then when I pulled up to a stop the 'AWD Service Required' popped up along with a cloud of smoke that wafted past my window while I raged like you wouldn't believe.

So if they broke it, you would probably already know. If they harmed it, the Transfer Case would take the brunt of it, which is a $5000.00 repair.

I got my wrecker to fix my car, but ended up trading it in because it smelled like *** and never 'felt' the same.

Good luck, it sounds like you dodged a bullet though. Maybe they know how to tow better up there? Chances are they jimmied the lock, put it in neutral and disengaged the parking brake. Then they just situated it and towed it away.
Was that a battle to get them to pay up?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
Was that a battle to get them to pay up?
I think it would have been if I would have approached them with anger and threats of litigation. Instead I called them and was nice as pie (with the ******* held in check in the background because I was LIVID)

Worked out, the guy was willing to work with me when I didn't take his head off over the phone and start off hard before trying the normalized approach.

Usually pays to keep your head and only resort to anger if needed.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks.
It does put my mind at ease!

Naplam_Enema - sorry to hear about your experience, but glad it worked out in the end.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stop parking in gear. Can stress the transmission.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Ummmm No.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
neutral doesn't matter, if the front wheels are spinning at different speeds then the rear the transfer case is suffering.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
neutral doesn't matter, if the front wheels are spinning at different speeds then the rear the transfer case is suffering.
This.. It doesn't matter if you park in gear or in neutral if your car is towed improperly..

The car is AWD.. So you can't have just two of the wheels off the ground and tow it.. It WILL damage your car 100%