Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New '15 Phantom Black Member

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I didn't notice a brick wall with my EVO, it was more like it would pull smoothly until about 5500-6000 then have this odd hesitation / stumble where it would feel like losing power then continue up to the redline. With the filter alone, that was all but eliminated. If you hit a brick wall up top, and are stock, you may have issues. If you hit the brick wall and have modifications you would need to get a better tune on your car because the current one is sketchy if it's behaving like that imo.
Maybe my use of brick wall was a poor choice. My car pulls strong up to 5500 and then it clearly plateaus.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
Maybe my use of brick wall was a poor choice. My car pulls strong up to 5500 and then it clearly plateaus.
Yeah that's the feeling try the drop in, it won't void your warranty and doesn't require a tune. Past that if it still bothers you, add a test pipe + EBCS + UICP + the drop in filter you have now + Tune (from a great shop)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only notice the hesitation in my FE when I forget to turn traction control off, maybe that is the root cause of the problem?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
welcome to the crappy stock boost curve! My MR peeks at 27psi when I stab it and then down to 17psi passed 5500. you can tune that out tho. Hell a Cobb V3 and AMS' base map pulls high boost/PSI till redline with no issues.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOX84
welcome to the crappy stock boost curve! My MR peeks at 27psi when I stab it and then down to 17psi passed 5500. you can tune that out tho. Hell a Cobb V3 and AMS' base map pulls high boost/PSI till redline with no issues.
An Accessport off the shelf tune and an MR are a bad idea friend. Get that thing protuned stat.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

An Accessport off the shelf tune and an MR are a bad idea friend. Get that thing protuned stat.

I am well aware of how bad they are on an MR with OTS, thats why i don't have one! I'm a research analyst and i do alot of reading about cars and what have you. I have a build list for mine LOL however with that being said, im thinking of keeping the MR where is it and just DD the car and buying a GT350... we shall see, but thanks for looking out!!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

I am well aware of how bad they are on an MR with OTS, thats why i don't have one! I'm a research analyst and i do alot of reading about cars and what have you. I have a build list for mine LOL however with that being said, im thinking of keeping the MR where is it and just DD the car and buying a GT350... we shall see, but thanks for looking out!!
Man don't do it lol. I lusted after that GT350 then I tried to test drive one the other week and it was horrible. They have a clutch spring that makes the clutch travel completely 'numb'. I literally drove the thing 600 feet and said **** this and told the salesman to drive it back.

And that's from a lifelong stickshift driver, that has been LUSTING after that GT350 since it came out!

Honestly, get Kozmic Motorsports to e-tune your car if you're not close. They made my MR so good I can only imagine a 110k porsche would feel as good and fun. I've had a LAUNDRY list of cars, and this one as it sits is the best one I've ever owned.

Kozmic recommended not having an accessport so I actually returned one that was on the way. Never regretted it.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Man don't do it lol. I lusted after that GT350 then I tried to test drive one the other week and it was horrible. They have a clutch spring that makes the clutch travel completely 'numb'. I literally drove the thing 600 feet and said **** this and told the salesman to drive it back.

And that's from a lifelong stickshift driver, that has been LUSTING after that GT350 since it came out!

Honestly, get Kozmic Motorsports to e-tune your car if you're not close. They made my MR so good I can only imagine a 110k porsche would feel as good and fun. I've had a LAUNDRY list of cars, and this one as it sits is the best one I've ever owned.

Kozmic recommended not having an accessport so I actually returned one that was on the way. Never regretted it.
I tried to have them E tune the car once and they said no b/c they were just too busy. I live 10 mins from AMS but they have moved on to higher paying customers and arent to happy to build an EVO for 10K when they can build a GTR for 80K LOL.

whats the list on your MR?

My old man is a Porsche dealer, i told him to find me a GT3... he laughed!

I would also to the new Z06 if they didn't lie about the car having all kinds of over heat issue! M3 looks fun but thats a DD car to me and I know too many people that have gone from Evos to M3s and then back again....
Old Feb 10, 2017, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

I tried to have them E tune the car once and they said no b/c they were just too busy. I live 10 mins from AMS but they have moved on to higher paying customers and arent to happy to build an EVO for 10K when they can build a GTR for 80K LOL.

whats the list on your MR?

My old man is a Porsche dealer, i told him to find me a GT3... he laughed!

I would also to the new Z06 if they didn't lie about the car having all kinds of over heat issue! M3 looks fun but thats a DD car to me and I know too many people that have gone from Evos to M3s and then back again....
I'd hit up Kozmic again they may have more time now versus when you first approached them. There are other great options for e-tuners as well:

wtftuned
5150 racing
Chet Rickerman

I have basic boltons and the car is a blast. UICP, EBCS, Cosworth drop in filter, larger fuel pump, Catted test pipe, tune.
The following users liked this post:
EVOX84 (Feb 10, 2017)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome ive been a member since 2011 but i am still a major NOOB still have not a clue how to post for sale parts or anything lmao but WELCOME!!!!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd hit up Kozmic again they may have more time now versus when you first approached them. There are other great options for e-tuners as well:

wtftuned
5150 racing
Chet Rickerman

I have basic boltons and the car is a blast. UICP, EBCS, Cosworth drop in filter, larger fuel pump, Catted test pipe, tune.
Why the bigger fuel pump - for future mods?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moparfan
Why the bigger fuel pump - for future mods?
They said once I had all the parts I intended it would start to get to a lean point with the car with it dialed all the way up, so they recommended based on their previous experience with them. I trusted they knew their **** so I added it to the list.

So it was a good idea for now, allowing for a bigger margin of safety once tuned (which I am definitely ok with) and is good for future modifications without needing one.

Car has been running great since then, at least 20k on it since tuned? Had a magnet go out on my transmission but it's Kozmic so they fixed that, and since it was open I put in upgraded clutch packs. Car has never felt better it's so good.

EVOX84 -

If I were you I'd just plan a small vacation around a road trip to Houston, schedule a tune with them and whatever else you wanted to do, come down drop off the car and enjoy the city for a couple days then pick up your improved beast and drive home. 1100 miles or so for a perfect tune from the best Evo X MR modifiers in the world is always going to be worth it lol. These guys get SST's sent to them from around the world to work on. If you plan to keep the car long term, may think about having them do the upgraded clutch packs. Not like you will find someone to do that for you later in Chicago lol. Other than that sky the limit, basic boltons, turbo etc.. But really with the basic boltons the car is already really really good.

Last edited by Napalm_Enema; Feb 10, 2017 at 03:44 PM.