Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I've lost the factory drivability after a pro tune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've lost the factory drivability after a pro tune

I wondering if anyone else has lost the factory drivability doing only simple boltons and using a pro tune. The car will buck (sometimes violently) when the car has not warmed up to normal operating conditions and shifting up to the next gear. It's even more apparent when the weather is very cold out. Once the car is warm the drivability is much much better but I've also learned how to drive it to avoid the current shortcomings of the tune. I've spoken to someone else that has had there car tuned at the same shop and has the same issues. Also, if I'm not hard on the car and shifting up anywhere from 3,600 to 4,200 rpm the car will backfire. Mind you this shirt ft into the next gear is very slow and easy. The tuner is well known and has a good reputation. Please let me know from my discripion if anyone else has experienced this and if it's normal. My car is a 14' Evo with CBE, Intercooler, grimspeed, UICP and drop in. Thx!!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
This is not normal.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Not normal at all. Tell your tuner and give them a chance to remedy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
JDZNate (Apr 14, 2017), migs647 (Apr 14, 2017)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

My last car was a Ralliart tuned with all famous GST tune from razoerlab. This is the kind of quality I'm use to and never expected my drivability to suffer the way it has. I tried emailing them a many months back with a question regarding a flex fuel tune but never go a response back. I wondered if they were capable of doing such a tune and what that cost would be. It put a sour taste in my mouth when there was no response. I then wondered how far I would get if I had a real problem. I guess I will found out soon enough. I'll report back when I have an outcome. I hope this can be remedied without an out of cost expense to me. Besides the drive out to MA👎
Old Apr 10, 2017, 03:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Bummer to hear, let me know if you need any help.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
That's a horrible tune get an e-tune if you don't have anyone good locally and stay out of boost so you don't break your car. wtftuned does e-tunes for cheap and does a great job.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Nope, Ive got 1200cc injectors stage 2 cams and a hell of a lope at idle, and my driveability is just like when I was stock. Go back to the tuner.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
have the tuner re-check.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

any update on this?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoOtto
I wondering if anyone else has lost the factory drivability doing only simple boltons and using a pro tune. The car will buck (sometimes violently) when the car has not warmed up to normal operating conditions and shifting up to the next gear. It's even more apparent when the weather is very cold out. Once the car is warm the drivability is much much better but I've also learned how to drive it to avoid the current shortcomings of the tune. I've spoken to someone else that has had there car tuned at the same shop and has the same issues. Also, if I'm not hard on the car and shifting up anywhere from 3,600 to 4,200 rpm the car will backfire. Mind you this shirt ft into the next gear is very slow and easy. The tuner is well known and has a good reputation. Please let me know from my discripion if anyone else has experienced this and if it's normal. My car is a 14' Evo with CBE, Intercooler, grimspeed, UICP and drop in. Thx!!
this is not normal, in fact your car should run lot better/ smoother then a stock car.
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Apr 14, 2017)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
this is not normal, in fact your car should run lot better/ smoother then a stock car.
^^ this too, i remember when i got my car tuned the first time it ran so buttery smooth. night and day difference.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
I never understood how a shop can throw a car they have never seen on a dyno and have it out in a few hours. I literally take 5 days worth of data stitched together to just optimize the accuracy of my MAF curve for my intake. Long story short: find someone who knows what they are doing and will put in the time. I don't want to mention names myself since I don't have experience with any e-tuners.

~Jaraxle
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah sounds like a flub on the tuners side, had a similar issue with my 13 WRX that just made it feel unnatural, brought it to another tuner, car ran smooth as hell after a few hours.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 07:20 PM

Make sure everything mechanical is in top shape. These cars can/should be made to run buttery smooth. With a good tune you should have improved drive-ability over stock, and maybe even better fuel mileage!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sucks...

Quick Reply: I've lost the factory drivability after a pro tune