Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Front License Plate Placement

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate Placement

Hi everyone, where do you guys place your front license plate and how did you attach it? I recently bought a new evo x fe which does not have the front license plate mount drilled into the front bumper. I've been pondering where to place the front license place (once I get my new plates) without drilling into the bumper. I live in NJ and it's required to have the front plate showing. I really don't want to drill into my bumper, thinking about preserving the look and value of the car.

I have seen a few different options without having to drill the bumper, but I guess I'm looking for a temporary fix till I have more time to decide on a permanent solution. I was thinking when I get my plates at the dealership, to have them zip tie it to the far right side (driver side) of the mesh grill. But I'm worried that blocking part of the intercooler would hinder some airflow/performance.

What do you guys think?
Old May 3, 2017, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
On previous cars I used double-sided foam tape. They stay put for as long as I had the car. You'd have to test this method's ability to not mar your paint though.

I'm in NJ also. I got stopped twice for the front plate before I gave up. I just had the mount drilled as usual.
Old May 4, 2017, 06:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
My solution

JDM Front Crashbeam + Grimmspeed GT-R front license plate mount

For track days I have a Kansai Service front tow hook that I will throw in so I'm not running a plate on those days.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate Placement-img_5913.jpg   Front License Plate Placement-img_5914.jpg   Front License Plate Placement-img_5916.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
kaj (May 10, 2017)
Old May 4, 2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
JDM Front Crashbeam + Grimmspeed GT-R front license plate mount

For track days I have a Kansai Service front tow hook that I will throw in so I'm not running a plate on those days.
Hi Migs647, would you be able to link me to a video/tutorial of how to remove the front bumper, install the crash beam and such? I'm really inexperienced to doing things like this, never done it before.

Thanks!!
Old May 4, 2017, 08:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Here is how you remove the front bumper:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...val-video.html

I don't think there is a swap video, but it is 8 bolts. You will need various sockets and extensions to do so.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-tow-hook.html

There are some links to the parts needed. You will no longer use the styrofoam, and will need the JDM vents which are longer as the JDM version is thinner and lighter by about 30lbs if IIRC.

Hope this helps
Old May 5, 2017, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used 3m weather proof velcro tape so that I could easily add and change it over the years since every few years states like to update their plates. And if I ever need to remove it it'll come right off without damaging it.

Mounted in the stock location (under the front right eye) but with this solution wherever your heart desires works.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasperin
I used 3m weather proof velcro tape so that I could easily add and change it over the years since every few years states like to update their plates. And if I ever need to remove it it'll come right off without damaging it.

Mounted in the stock location (under the front right eye) but with this solution wherever your heart desires works.
So direct to the paint with no license plate "carrier" ?

~Jaraxle
Old May 6, 2017, 07:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No drill setup...easy to install/remove
Old May 8, 2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
So direct to the paint with no license plate "carrier" ?

~Jaraxle
lol, I feel slightly judged but 3m comes off cleanly usually (or do you mean the plate, which then you have to realize that this creates like a half inch buffer between the plate and the paint, I'd go through a tsunami at 160mph before that even considered touching the paint).
Old May 8, 2017, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i use the skene design mount, it mounts with l brackets so none of the holes drilled are visible when you take it off. lots of my friends now use them and even the local porsche dealership started to order from them after i brought one in for them to install on my dads new porsche.
The following users liked this post:
MotorCrush (May 10, 2017)
Old May 10, 2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mlouis
i use the skene design mount, it mounts with l brackets so none of the holes drilled are visible when you take it off. lots of my friends now use them and even the local porsche dealership started to order from them after i brought one in for them to install on my dads new porsche.

Any pics of the install? I am curious on this option.

Thanks,
Old May 10, 2017, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I was looking at ways of installing it but then got a ticket for no plate so had to put it on quick. I used 3M Dual Lock:

Amazon Amazon

Front License Plate Placement-trs2bxi.jpg

It's the same thing holding your E-ZPass transponder. No concern about removing it, add some heat if necessary. I used a 4" strip per corner. The plate isn't going anywhere.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by isaachunyu

No drill setup...easy to install/remove
got any more info on this setup ?
Old May 10, 2017, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SheWentToJared
got any more info on this setup ?
It's from EvolutionXDesign, just search EvolutionXDesign in Facebook.
I added screw cap cover to protect my paint
Old May 10, 2017, 07:40 PM

dont put one on. dont be a little *****. ive had mine for a 2 years now and i dont have any issues with popo dont touch the FE

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Placement