Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Possible "new" Evo X

Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll keep it with a BOV if I get it. I like the sound.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wvguy3
Could I possibly message you and pick your brain some Robert?
you've got a reply!

- Robert
Old Jun 14, 2017, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd say ETS is like the American HKS. Where as AMS is like Greddy/Apexi. I'm using these companies interchangeably just to say ETS is the shiet. My intake, full turbo back exhaust is from ETS. Amazing products and fitment.

Now since the seller had the ETS intake on there already, I'd definitely ask who did the tune for him(if any). If no tune or from an unknown shop, I'd pass. That's just me.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 05:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
ETS intake without a tune is actually ok and beneficial. The factory tune is so pig rich that the intake leans it out almost to acceptable levels. This is one of the reasons there is such a hp gain from it just from bolting it on. It's the combo of other parts without a tune or improper tune that could cause the damage though.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 05:46 PM

What about an Intake and cat back? It's looking to go I can't get that particular Evo but I did find one closer that's completely stock with 9k miles. Not my first color choice but I don't mind.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:00 PM

What about an Intake and cat back? It's looking to go I can't get that particular Evo but I did find one closer that's completely stock with 9k miles. Not my first color choice but I don't mind.
If you're asking if you need a tune with an intake exhaust; the short answer is yes. Although you may be able to get away with it, anytime you change airflow you'll need a tune. If you think of an engine of a giant air pump (that's pretty much what it is) the more air you have flowing through your system at any finite period of time, the more power you'll make. But your system needs to know what amount of air is going in and out of the system in order to adjust and work properly. (I.e. at different throttle levels, boost levels, fuel levels, and octanes)
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:03 PM

I guess before I look into any parts I need to wait for my warranty to run out and save the money for everything and do it at once. How hard is it to tune yourself if you've never done it?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:08 PM

I guess before I look into any parts I need to wait for my warranty to run out and save the money for everything and do it at once. How hard is it to tune yourself if you've never done it?
Depends how much time and experience you have in the car world. I'm an aerospace engineer by trade and automotive engineer for fun and I wouldn't touch it myself. You'll need some equipment and software and without a dyno and tuning experience it'll be a lot of work to optimize the ECU program. If you browse tuning forums you might find information that'll help but for $500-$700 a tune from a pro is hard to beat. (If basic bolt ons, an E-tune is also a viable and cost effective option.)
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:12 PM

Straight out I was planning on an ETS Intake,cat back and possibly have it tuned to run a BOV since I like the way it sounds on vehicles. But may have to hold off on it because I def don't want to void my warranty on a brand new car. I may do either exhaust or Intake since I can get away with one of them but shouldn't chance both. I'm not too knowledgeable on turbo cars either. This will be my first one.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:20 PM

Straight out I was planning on an ETS Intake,cat back and possibly have it tuned to run a BOV since I like the way it sounds on vehicles. But may have to hold off on it because I def don't want to void my warranty on a brand new car. I may do either exhaust or Intake since I can get away with one of them but shouldn't chance both. I'm not too knowledgeable on turbo cars either. This will be my first one.
I'm about a month into my first turbo coming from an FR-S so I'm speaking in some generalities but also from info I've read from other forum members who are more intelligent and experienced than I. An intake and exhaust won't void your warranty unless they are the direct cause of your failure, which would have to be proven by the dealer. A tune could void your warranty however so its a catch 22. Stock the Evo X has a BOV I believe. BOVs make the "pssht" sound when atmospheric and no BOV makes the "stu-stu-stu" sound but will **** your journal bearing turbo.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:23 PM

I could have sworn they came with a BPV since there's a recirc line but I don't have one so I could definitely be wrong lol. I can deal with just and Intake and cat back for awhile. After the warranty runs out that's when I'll start heavily modifying it. I just don't want the void the warranty by making it a little quicker and better sounding.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:30 PM

I could have sworn they came with a BPV since there's a recirc line but I don't have one so I could definitely be wrong lol. I can deal with just and Intake and cat back for awhile. After the warranty runs out that's when I'll start heavily modifying it. I just don't want the void the warranty by making it a little quicker and better sounding.
Looking to be corrected by another member if I'm wrong about the BOV* but I think stock is recirculated BOV. Running an atmospheric dump means you'll need your software to run off of speed density. With a stock turbo I doubt very much you'll lose any lag running atmospheric dump vs. recirc.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:33 PM

Ohh I've never heard of a BOV being recirc before. I've always heard it was a BPV for that. Makes sense though. My issue with tuning is there's no one around me that can do the tune. So my closest place is Pittsburgh and I really don't like driving up that way lol.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:39 PM

E-tune is the way to go for bolt ons then. One of the guys on here will point you in the right direction.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:55 PM

I appreciate all your help tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible "new" Evo X