Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

One daytime running light isnt working

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One daytime running light isnt working

I posted this thread about the bulb in May: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...headlight.html

Same DRL- the passenger side one wont stay on. I've tried numerous bulbs including OEM Mitsu, so I know that's not it. There's a small piece of the plastic that helps hold the bulb in place that I cracked off and cant find to glue back on. Still, there's minimal wiggle room for the bulb when it's seated in there. I have a hard time imagining the play in there is enough for the bulb to not make contact with the metal inside the housing for power.

When I put the bulb in and put turn it all back together into the headlight, the bulb will work for some time. Maybe 20-40 min. of driving. Then, the right-hand DRL is off. Once, it came back on for a while, then went off again. Maybe bumps in the road combined with a stiff suspension is jostling the bulb- somehow enough to not get power.

The dealership was stumped and said I should get a new lighting harness. Out of warranty it would cost $250+ including labor. Any ideas here? I've tried taping the bulb to help hold it in place to no avail. I've also tried finagling the metal contact inside the plastic holder to ensure good contact with the bulb. I'd prefer to keep running DRL's as opposed to pulling the bulbs out altogether.
Attached Thumbnails One daytime running light isnt working-20170618_130010.jpg   One daytime running light isnt working-20170618_130015.jpg   One daytime running light isnt working-20170618_130112.jpg   One daytime running light isnt working-20170618_130146.jpg  
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:30 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks like you damaged the ground part inside the socket. Buy a universal socket (that looks the same obviously). BUT... Before you cut and splice try to install onto the headlight to make sure it fits, or to see if you need to modify it in any way.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
replace the bulb socket or pry out the ground and power contacts so its a tighter connection.

You can also try going to a wrechiking yard and looking for that bulb socket. Its a common bulb and not just the x uses it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys. When I initially started fiddling with the socket, I noticed the ground looked funny. It apparently slipped my mind after that. I went back last weekend and upon closer inspection the metal contact for the ground was sort of stuck. There's a plastic crevice the top-most part resides in, but it angles out and is flexible so as to make good contact with the bulb. I pried the lower portion that was stuck out with a needle nose pliers and now it's working like a charm.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
This looks similar to mine whereby somehow the OEM socket and bulb seem to have overheated which weakened the plastic. Broke mine the same way and also kinda annoyed about how Mitsu has that part setup so you have to buy the entire thing and can't just get a new socket....