Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Max amount of mileage for a evo you'd buy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Max amount of mileage for a evo you'd buy?

So i was looking at a few evo's. One was at 91k and the other at 115k. What would be the max amount of mileage you'd ever buy a evo with? Anything that would be of concern at those higher miles?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice raptor
So i was looking at a few evo's. One was at 91k and the other at 115k. What would be the max amount of mileage you'd ever buy a evo with? Anything that would be of concern at those higher miles?
Depends on the loan term if I was going that route... 75k would prob be my max.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Those are pretty low miles.i bought mine at 134k and now at 152k. Stock block with head studs. E85 30 psi later still pulls hard. Ask for a cold start in person. Timing belt tensioners go bad and make loud tapping noise and go away with heat.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:47 PM

If it was a different car i'd be more concerned or if it was highly modded. But these are not and these engines are pretty bullet proof if you are not throwing insane boost into them. So would a higher mileage be alright? It would fit my budget a lot better...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I know evo 8s at 220k on e85 and 30r turbos. I personally wouldnt wana see more then 120k on a new purchase. Good luck.

The 4g63 is almost bullet proof.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 08:32 PM

Well the new evo X engine is the 4b11 isnt it? Still a pretty strong motor.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 08:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice raptor
I would buy one with over 100k in a heartbeat. They are very well built cars. My only concern would be that it has been kept up with maintenance and it was coming from a responsible owner with known history.

I have 112,000 miles on my 2011 and the only thing that has gone bad has been the stock battery. I have had zero other issues with it. I am also on a upgraded turbo and make about 450 whp. It's the most reliable car I have owned (other cars being Nissans and Acuras)

Buy the car in the best condition, at any mileage past 75k+ how it's been kept is more important than 91k vs 115k miles IMO.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by sik_z33
I would buy one with over 100k in a heartbeat. They are very well built cars. My only concern would be that it has been kept up with maintenance and it was coming from a responsible owner with known history.

I have 112,000 miles on my 2011 and the only thing that has gone bad has been the stock battery. I have had zero other issues with it. I am also on a upgraded turbo and make about 450 whp. It's the most reliable car I have owned (other cars being Nissans and Acuras)

Buy the car in the best condition, at any mileage past 75k+ how it's been kept is more important than 91k vs 115k miles IMO.
I kinda figured the same...Thanks for helping me make my mind up on it. Really appreciate it!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ask to see the maintenance schedule and folder of receipts for all parts and services completed. That ranks above than simply mileage. I'd get an Evo with high mileage and meticulous service records before a low mileage Evo with little to no receipts/records at all.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the input. I know most people do there own work on the cars though so might be a bit trickier to find those recipes.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just bought one from a ase cert mechanic with 183k. As long as the car checks out im good
Old Aug 24, 2017, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sik_z33
how it's been kept is more important than 91k vs 115k miles IMO.

This right here. I bought mine with 119k miles and it's been a great car. Honestly due to the mileage I wasn't even gonna go look at it. I had been looking at cars with 70k or less. But the 119k mile car was close and cheap - so I figured why not. Out of all the Evos I drove, stockish for stockish, the 119k mile drove the nicest and was clean. Somebody used it like I do, as a daily commuter so it's all been highway miles.

146k miles on it now. I figured, why bother sourcing a LOW mile one when I'm going to rack them on in a year or two anyways. That's my situation though, yours may differ. Guess the point I'm trying to make is keep an open mind. A clean car that's been driven but maintained well is not a bad car. Especially since you can get them cheaper. Just be careful
The following users liked this post:
Ice raptor (Aug 25, 2017)
Old Aug 24, 2017, 03:18 PM

x2 with whats been said, see how it has been maintained vs others and just do some checks if getting high miles, depending on what you want and budget I'm sure you can find something in your price range with low miles, might take a while though
Old Aug 24, 2017, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donny_utah
Ask to see the maintenance schedule and folder of receipts for all parts and services completed. That ranks above than simply mileage. I'd get an Evo with high mileage and meticulous service records before a low mileage Evo with little to no receipts/records at all.
Exactly! With a good/complete paper trail, high mileage is not that big of a deal. Even better would be a complete history with nothing but good shops doing the work!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd definitely concern myself more with condition than mileage. Dings and chips are easy with PDR and touch-up. At 100k miles suspension, if stock, will be ready for a refresh. Try to find one with full maintenance history. If you find one you're ready to buy, get the owner to agree to a PPI. Even if you're out $100 because you walked away, you'll still have saved a fortune.

Our Ralliart is almost to 100k and aside from oil, brakes, SST flushes, and just recently new shocks/struts, belts, and other fluids (brake/coolant/PS change) it's needed nothing. Zero trips to the dealership past the first free oil change. This gen Lancer may not be of the highest build quality but they're very serviceable and quite reliable.

Quick Reply: Max amount of mileage for a evo you'd buy?