Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

recommendations on shifter extender please.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
recommendations on shifter extender please.

Hi... got one off the bay.. I can still see tons of thread on the stock shifter rod even with the extender on. Any tips on where to get a better steel extender? Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Not an extender. But I've the AMS shift knob. It's long, thick(hurhur) and sits high and really fills your grip wether you use a full grip or slight top only grip.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Donny which one did you get? Well I have the AMS carbon fiber shift knob and it's much taller than the stock aluminum on that came with mine. Now AMS also makes a V2 version of it and I've yet to see it in person but it might be taller.

Now OP, a quick Google search shows Torque Solution having one that's 3in tall. I don't have one so I don't know how well it sits. If you have more money so spend for it you can always go to your local machine shop and if they have a lathe they'll make you one.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I use the Torque Solutions type with the long Tomei shift knob. Works great and matches everything in the interior.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Kishin
Hey Donny which one did you get? Well I have the AMS carbon fiber shift knob and it's much taller than the stock aluminum on that came with mine. Now AMS also makes a V2 version of it and I've yet to see it in person but it might be taller.

Now OP, a quick Google search shows Torque Solution having one that's 3in tall. I don't have one so I don't know how well it sits. If you have more money so spend for it you can always go to your local machine shop and if they have a lathe they'll make you one.
Kishin, I've the non carbon fibre one. Looks identical to yours. Just non cf. Same size and feel.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donny_utah
Not an extender. But I've the AMS shift knob. It's long, thick(hurhur) and sits high and really fills your grip wether you use a full grip or slight top only grip.
Thanks. Already have a weighted shifter, and the AMS is way too light. The extra length is even nicer, imo.

Originally Posted by Kishin

Thanks Kishin. I checked torque solutions and it looks like they have aluminum only. Wanted steel. And wouldn't even know where to go find a machine shop around here to do that.

Originally Posted by static_set
I use the Torque Solutions type with the long Tomei shift knob. Works great and matches everything in the interior.
Does it cover the oem rod's threads completely? Its aluminum right? Any flex at all? Any chance you have a pic? Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Does it cover the oem rod's threads completely? Its aluminum right? Any flex at all? Any chance you have a pic? Thanks.
Aluminum works just fine if you dont drive around slamming gears like an idiot. I'd rather snap a shifter than strip a synchro. Tomei builds a featherweight shift knob, always worked well for me.

Sure, here you go.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (Sep 29, 2017)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Appreciate the picture. You like a light shifter? For me using a heavy shift knob has smoothed out the shifts a ton.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by captaincrunch
appreciate the picture. You like a light shifter? For me using a heavy shift knob has smoothed out the shifts a ton.
+1
Old Oct 3, 2017, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Appreciate the picture. You like a light shifter? For me using a heavy shift knob has smoothed out the shifts a ton.

I've always preferred a lighter shift regardless. It's more responsive (IMO) and easier to correct a miss. With a light shifter I can actually feel for proper synchro engagement rather than forcing it through the gate if that makes any sense.