Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Should I tow the Evo to the Tuner Shop?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I tow the Evo to the Tuner Shop?

So after doing a lot of reading I have decided its time to put my plan into action. In the near future(hopefully by late March early April) I will be upgrading my daily driver with the following:
MHI Turbo
Turbo Back Exhaust System
3.5" intercooler+lower & upper piping
Intake System
3port Boost Controller
BPV
1300cc Injectors
Fuel Pump
Access Port

I have the confidence in installing all these parts myself, however I will need to get the car tuned.

Should I tow the car to the tuning shop after setting up an appointment, or should I download a tune from Cobb and then take the car to the shop?

Alternatively, should I install everything except fuel pump, injectors and intake then have the shop install those parts when they go to tune?

This would be my first time getting a car tuned and would hate to install all the parts, turn the car on and have it die.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
That's a lot of changes, especially with an MR. I'd slap on most of the parts that make sense then have them do the rest. If it were me I'd tow it after putting on the majority of the larger parts.Hope you're going to Kozmic since you're in Texas! They are THE BEST with the MR.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Flatbed it. Or as you said install everything but injectors, fuel pump should be fine. It should be fine as long as you don't get into boost.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
If I were you, I would not entertain these aggressive mods on a daily driver. A dead daily means inconvenience and sad days. The stock 4B11T can handle bolt-ons, but generally it cannot reliably handle an injector upgrade, a fuel pump upgrade, and a turbo upgrade together. For such a set up, some highly talented tuners have been able to keep the torque peak at 4,000~5,000 RPM down and tamed, but these are not common cases.

Also, I think modding cars should be treated as a hobby, which means you play the game when you have excessive cash to burn. (In which case I would not care too much to pay the tuner to install all the mods.) It is important that you have significant cash reserve, so if something gives, you can quickly fix the car back to the road.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 01:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
If I were you, I would not entertain these aggressive mods on a daily driver. A dead daily means inconvenience and sad days. The stock 4B11T can handle bolt-ons, but generally it cannot reliably handle an injector upgrade, a fuel pump upgrade, and a turbo upgrade together. For such a set up, some highly talented tuners have been able to keep the torque peak at 4,000~5,000 RPM down and tamed, but these are not common cases.

Also, I think modding cars should be treated as a hobby, which means you play the game when you have excessive cash to burn. (In which case I would not care too much to pay the tuner to install all the mods.) It is important that you have significant cash reserve, so if something gives, you can quickly fix the car back to the road.
Those are basic mods, his car will be fine. I mean if he wanted to drive a lame car I am sure he would have bought a Honda. As far as the 4b11 not being able to handle injectors thats bull****. The engine is the same as the 4g motor except its aluminum. It will be fine with the little upgrades he posted. If he was posting a huge turbo etc I would have agreed with you, I guess it depends on the size of the turbo he is wanting to put on. But if its anything from MHI I wouldn't worry to much as long as he isn't overboosting it.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^This.

A stock frame turbo upgrade and supporting mods is hardly "aggressive". In fact the list of upgrades he mentioned are basically perfect for a daily/street car.