Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HELP ! Do I need an Electronic Boost Controller and Boost Gauge ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP ! Do I need an Electronic Boost Controller and Boost Gauge ?

Dear members,

I have a 2010 Evo X GSR with 65,000 miles on it. The car is paid off and warranty is expired so I've decided to do a few performance/appearance mods. I'm going to be turning the big Four-O this year so I'm not looking to go crazy with the car since it's my daily driver and I have two kids. The mods I'm looking to do are:

1. Drilled/Slotted Rotors
2. Injen Ram intake and Upper Intercooler Pipe combo
3. Catback exhaust
4. Pro Tune

With that being said, my question to you is, "With this setup, do I NEED a EBCM and boost gauge or will the pro tune be enough to keep the boost levels safe?"

I don't mind if I have to buy a electronic boost controller but I REALLY don't want gauges (that don't look stock) in my car. I know there are some that are really small where I could place them out of the way so they don't stand out but I would PREFER to not have them at all. I also don't want to run the risk of f**king my car up if the boost level gets out of whack and I don't know about it. Any advice you can give me would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
Old Jan 25, 2018, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First off do not get a Injen intake, you might as well leave it stock. Any name brand intake will work far better, ETS, AMS are good options, we see huge gains with our STM Bellmouth intake kits for the X.

Same thing with the cat back, make sure you go with a name brand exhaust that is true 3'' all the way, some recude down to 2.5 or 2.75" tube at the front which will effect performance, as well as some mufflers reduce down inside well below 3''.

There is no need for a gauge, it just lets you watch boost pressures but is not ever necessary.

Lastly we run a Hallman Pro MBC in all of our Evo X's, they work excellently.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me i'd be happy to offer any advice or get you deals on any parts you need.

-Austin@STM
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Dec 15, 2018)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I guess I have a different opinion over Austin on this one. For a stock-ish car like you are planning, you will be more than fine with an Injen intake and just about any catback. You're not looking to max out your setup or chase some records, you just want some response and noise. I had an Injen intake and it served me very well when I had the stock turbo. Sounded good too. AMS, ETS, STM etc are all excellent of course. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have a line on a good deal on the Injen, don't pass it. It will do what you need it to do. For the exhaust, yes, a good chunk of them neck down to 2.5-2.75" to bolt up to the stock cat - which in your case is OK too. You're keeping the stock o2 housing, downpipe, and cat. The extra 2" length of 2.5" pipe before it turns into 3" isn't gonna make any difference on a 330whp car. The stock exhaust is 2.5" and that in itself isn't the restriction at that power level, it's the muffler. So yes, get a system that has a straight through 3" muffler, but don't lose any sleep over it if it necks down to 2.5" at the cat, as 2.5 is still plenty. If you were going to do a 3" downpipe, and a 3" test pipe I would say absolutely go with a true 3" catback. But since you don't sound like you need/want all that, you'll be good with a neck down

I would also skip the drilled rotors, they tend to crack. Leave the blanks or do slotted, but skip the drilled and save some money. For the EBCS, a 3 port will help with response also keep boost levels higher up top and just has more control over the stock 2 port. There is a fair bit to gain from it, but it's not absolutely needed. I like the control over a 3 port vs a MBC personally, things you can do with one that you can't do with the other, but everybody has their own opinions on that. And for gauges, I would do boost & wideband AFR. A car with mods and tune, you would want to keep an eye on things so you know what's going on. It's not gonna do any harm having them. Just find a clean way to mount them. You might even save your engine by having them, especially the wideband.

My .2 cents.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’d say gauges are necessary to keep an eye on certain things, it helps to know what’s going on in that sense. Ebc is more convenient to set how much boost you run. Just my .02 as well. Good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Reviving this thread a bit, but hey, it was active within the same year!

So here is my n00b question: I have a stock 2015 with an AEM intake and a pro tune from IveyTune. Makes a bit over 300whp, pretty happy with it, night and day from stock

I'm curious about whether I can just go ahead and control the amount of boost. If I feel like the car doesn't pull as hard past 5k RPM, can I safely install a manual boost controller and bump the pressure up a bit?

Conversely, if I want to drive more for fuel economy, could I decrease boost? I know I could try staying out of boost, but you know how that goes.

And lastly, do people get electronic boost controllers to control this stuff from inside the car using buttons and knobs? Sort of an on demand thing where you want to a) get some groceries and want to save gas or b) hit up a nice road and don't care about the whales.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by LandoCommando
Dear members,

I have a 2010 Evo X GSR with 65,000 miles on it. The car is paid off and warranty is expired so I've decided to do a few performance/appearance mods. I'm going to be turning the big Four-O this year so I'm not looking to go crazy with the car since it's my daily driver and I have two kids. The mods I'm looking to do are:

1. Drilled/Slotted Rotors
2. Injen Ram intake and Upper Intercooler Pipe combo
3. Catback exhaust
4. Pro Tune

With that being said, my question to you is, "With this setup, do I NEED a EBCM and boost gauge or will the pro tune be enough to keep the boost levels safe?"

I don't mind if I have to buy a electronic boost controller but I REALLY don't want gauges (that don't look stock) in my car. I know there are some that are really small where I could place them out of the way so they don't stand out but I would PREFER to not have them at all. I also don't want to run the risk of f**king my car up if the boost level gets out of whack and I don't know about it. Any advice you can give me would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
Hit up WTFTuned they are close to you and can get you a wonderfully running EVO put together. Good luck and enjoy!

P.S. Your parts list is missing some things - you need a catted test pipe for the most bang for your buck / and you will want / need an EBCS. Also you don't need an intake, unless you want more noise it won't net you much power over a cheaper option - plan on a drop in air filter, the stock air intake is good to 400hp give or take. (Cosworth makes one for like 50 bucks that you can drop in now, without a tune, and already feel benefits from)