Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

cannot find anything similar...have to ask

Old Feb 20, 2018, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cannot find anything similar...have to ask

hey everyone. I have searched high and low, this forum, other forums, bing, google, nothing even close to what i'm experiencing with my evo. so here goes...
2012 X MR, bought it with 5k miles on the clock in 2015, had the 30k service done at 29k-ish miles, everything was fine. took it to cobb and had them do the service. they did not use oem fluids but I cannot recall what fluids they did use. anyway, everything was fine for about 15k miles after the service. and all of a sudden, I start hearing a roaring noise coming from the rear of the car as soon as I hit 40mph.
it is not related to gear or rpm but to speed. I thought it was the tires, replaced all 4 recently, still there. thought it was wheel bearings, replaced all 4 hub assemblies (not cheap) still there. I have not been able to check the diff or tcase myself as I do not have jack stands. the noise starts at 40 and gets louder until it is harmonically cancelled out by the exhaust (cobb, so not at all loud) at about 60mph. once I hit 70 though, it comes back loud as hell and continues to get louder as I accelerate past that. it also gets higher pitched with speed.
if I get up to speed and let it start making noise, then pop it in neutral, the noise remains and decreases in pitch and volume as the car decelerates. so I really don't think it's the tcase as it would go away in neutral. also, it makes no noise when in park or stopped. only when the wheels are turning.
ANY help or advise at all is appreciated. this has been going on for a few months now and it's driving me absolutely insane. I haven't noticed anything different, no performance/driving issues as it's my daily, just the damn noise. I know something is wrong but I am at a complete loss as to what it could be.

BHD
Old Feb 20, 2018, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
tcase usually whines. Have you talked to Cobb? Sounds like the rear diff to me.

Rear diff you can do without jack stands if you really wanted to.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:40 AM

yea, I called Cobb and they said that the fluids would not have done any damage and that they'd be happy to look at it for $120 diag fee.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by projectspear
yea, I called Cobb and they said that the fluids would not have done any damage and that they'd be happy to look at it for $120 diag fee.
I'd get it in there sooner rather than later, if anything in your drivetrain fails it can impact other parts and end up costing more money to fix. Good luck
Old Feb 20, 2018, 06:31 PM

Problem is i don't have the money. Its already been 3 months and nothing has chsnged. The noise hasn't become any worse or any better. Came here to see. If any of our community members have any ideas. I've already basically wasted $2000 chasing this issue and am tapped out. 😭