Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Question on my new Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on my new Evo X

I'm new to this forum and new to the Evo life.This is my new 2014 Evo X and its running good but feels a bit sluggish. Was wondering if getting a Cobb access tune would fix this or should I go to a shop and get it tune. I'm wanting the car to be a daily driving car but want the car to run smooth and good and not sluggish. The car, from what I know that is done to it is an aftermarket intake and lowered springs. I don't know too much about aftermarket parts so I'm not sure what else may be in the car. I believe there may be an aftermarket BOV. Should I take this car to a reputable shop to get it examined before any sort of tune? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, this car had 4 previous owners and the mileage on the car is 57k miles. The last owner had the car for less than a month and I believe he wasn't able to pay for the car and sold it or traded it back in. There's not much that I can tell from previous owners since I bought the car from a dealership.

Will post more photos tomorrow for anyone who can spot out any other mods.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Blu-Evo
Should I take this car to a reputable shop to get it examined before any sort of tune?
^ This
The following users liked this post:
Blu-Evo (Feb 13, 2018)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:44 PM

Post some engine bay shots we may be able to point out obvious(to us) mods. But x2 on taking it to a reputable trusted shop before hand.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
You could have a boost leak which would cause sluggish performance. If you take it to an Evo shop that is one of the things they can do to increase performance.

A Engine bay picture will tell us mostly everything about the mods on the Evo.

The paint shines nicely!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the response guys! I'll take it to a good shop to get it looked at. I'll post pictures when the sun is out.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Another option, if you don't have a tuner local to you that does EVO's is hit up an e-tuner. wtftuned.com is a great guy to work with and could probably get you sorted remotely. Until you get the car sorted, stay out of boost and just drive very passively and out of boost until you can get it checked.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blu-Evo

I'm new to this forum and new to the Evo life.This is my new 2014 Evo X and its running good but feels a bit sluggish. Was wondering if getting a Cobb access tune would fix this or should I go to a shop and get it tune. I'm wanting the car to be a daily driving car but want the car to run smooth and good and not sluggish. The car, from what I know that is done to it is an aftermarket intake and lowered springs. I don't know too much about aftermarket parts so I'm not sure what else may be in the car. I believe there may be an aftermarket BOV. Should I take this car to a reputable shop to get it examined before any sort of tune? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, this car had 4 previous owners and the mileage on the car is 57k miles. The last owner had the car for less than a month and I believe he wasn't able to pay for the car and sold it or traded it back in. There's not much that I can tell from previous owners since I bought the car from a dealership.

Will post more photos tomorrow for anyone who can spot out any other mods.

Price vs performance, I would rather take it to a reputable tuner then getting the Cobb AP. The simplest way is to gather up all the bolt on you want, install them then take it to a tuner; that way you don't have to go back again for additional mods. I was in the same boat as you, bought a brand new 2015 Evo X, but it felt slow (coming from a 350z HR.) Now I have simple bolt ons and E-85 (flex fuel tune) and the car feels like a rocket now.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joonvang
Price vs performance, I would rather take it to a reputable tuner then getting the Cobb AP. The simplest way is to gather up all the bolt on you want, install them then take it to a tuner; that way you don't have to go back again for additional mods. I was in the same boat as you, bought a brand new 2015 Evo X, but it felt slow (coming from a 350z HR.) Now I have simple bolt ons and E-85 (flex fuel tune) and the car feels like a rocket now.
OP, I don't mean to thread jack or derail, but your post fits a post I'd likely make IF I buy an X.... great looking Evo btw.

joonvang, I see you came from a HR Z, currently I drive an 08 with catback and some suspension goodies..... What made you make the jump to the EvoX? I just had a baby boy 5 months ago and I've been kicking around the idea of an EvoX or an STi hatch instead of the Z so I can take the boy and wife places in it on the weekends rather than just solo in the Zed, but from what I've been reading (even in your post) is that you all but NEED to tune a stock EvoX just to utilize the full powerband and keep it from being sluggish...? Am I way off base in my findings? How long did you have the X before you "HAD" to get a tune, or did you to Bolt ons, then tune? Thanks in advance on your reply.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Scrap the Cobb ap idea. It don’t match well for Evos. Definitely go in for a dyno tune at a reputable Evo tuner. Like English Racing. Englishracing.net
Old Feb 19, 2018, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by POWAAH
OP, I don't mean to thread jack or derail, but your post fits a post I'd likely make IF I buy an X.... great looking Evo btw.

joonvang, I see you came from a HR Z, currently I drive an 08 with catback and some suspension goodies..... What made you make the jump to the EvoX? I just had a baby boy 5 months ago and I've been kicking around the idea of an EvoX or an STi hatch instead of the Z so I can take the boy and wife places in it on the weekends rather than just solo in the Zed, but from what I've been reading (even in your post) is that you all but NEED to tune a stock EvoX just to utilize the full powerband and keep it from being sluggish...? Am I way off base in my findings? How long did you have the X before you "HAD" to get a tune, or did you to Bolt ons, then tune? Thanks in advance on your reply.
The two things that made me get the Evo x was the harsh winters and the need to drive others. Honestly when I first drove the Evo x, I was a bit disappointed. It didn't feels as fast as the 350z even when it's in boost but the handling on the Evo x was way better. with bolt ons and a tune, it did get quicker but wasn't a wow feeling. I just recently went on e85 and I can tell you it's worth every penny. The car pulls super hard. I've had the Evo now for about two years. I bought it brand new. Waited until it was 10k miles before modding and voiding the warranty. I was in the same boat as you when I was thinking about trading in the Z. It was either an EVO x or a STI. The thing they kept me away from the STI was the ring land failure thing and making power on the STI platform wasn't as easy. So that's why I chose the Evo. I say you should test drive them first. Maybe wait for the 2020 STI?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 04:10 AM

The two things that made me get the Evo x was the harsh winters and the need to drive others. Honestly when I first drove the Evo x, I was a bit disappointed. It didn't feels as fast as the 350z even when it's in boost but the handling on the Evo x was way better. with bolt ons and a tune, it did get quicker but wasn't a wow feeling. I just recently went on e85 and I can tell you it's worth every penny. The car pulls super hard. I've had the Evo now for about two years. I bought it brand new. Waited until it was 10k miles before modding and voiding the warranty. I was in the same boat as you when I was thinking about trading in the Z. It was either an EVO x or a STI. The thing they kept me away from the STI was the ring land failure thing and making power on the STI platform wasn't as easy. So that's why I chose the Evo. I say you should test drive them first. Maybe wait for the 2020 STI?
thanks for the reply. The Z has been a weekend car for going on 5 years. I have a work vehicle that we take 95% of places. I' just looking for the nice weekend drive car to go on a short cruise and take the whole family. I'e had the Z for 8 years and only have a catback for a"performance mod" so I'm not worries about performance and an 800hp car, just wondering if the X is a complete slouch stock. (I'e driven one with a crap brand exhaust and I liked it a lot)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by POWAAH
thanks for the reply. The Z has been a weekend car for going on 5 years. I have a work vehicle that we take 95% of places. I' just looking for the nice weekend drive car to go on a short cruise and take the whole family. I'e had the Z for 8 years and only have a catback for a"performance mod" so I'm not worries about performance and an 800hp car, just wondering if the X is a complete slouch stock. (I'e driven one with a crap brand exhaust and I liked it a lot)

The stock Evo X is ok the way it is. I think it depends more on what car you're coming from. Since I came from a 350z HR and was expose to the raw power of its NA motor, I was expecting more of the Evo X. But if #s isn't what you're looking for and just a fun weekend car then a stock Evo X is fine the way it is. Tuning would just make it a little better, not by much with no mods. I think I read somewhere that the earlier year Evo had bad tune from the factory but the newer year Evo fixed that issue.
The following users liked this post:
POWAAH (Feb 20, 2018)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 02:24 PM

The stock Evo X is ok the way it is. I think it depends more on what car you're coming from. Since I came from a 350z HR and was expose to the raw power of its NA motor, I was expecting more of the Evo X. But if #s isn't what you're looking for and just a fun weekend car then a stock Evo X is fine the way it is. Tuning would just make it a little better, not by much with no mods. I think I read somewhere that the earlier year Evo had bad tune from the factory but the newer year Evo fixed that issue.

If I got an X I would eventually mod it, but I would mostly be "upgrading" to have a backseat! I remember reading and hearing from a gal that had an HR vert Z, then went Evo X. She seems to be almost trying to scare me away from the Evo saying it is "finicky" and quirky with all mods put on (I'm guessing she meant engine mods). I'm looking for a decent low mileage one in WW, OB, or GGP but everything is 300+ miles away from KC. I don't mind traveling for the right car, but with a 5 month old, the wife probably wouldn't want that kinda trip for him. Thanks again for your input. I'll keep lurking on here and car sites to see if I join the X family!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 05:37 PM

It's probabaly the pipe. Go to a reputable tuner (not dealership). Get your car checked before trying to tune.