Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

N00b purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N00b purchase advice

Hi, all. I'm a Subaru guy for years, but I have my eye on an Evo X GSR. I did some research, but part research only gets you so far. I *think* the car was tuned at JMS, but I can't be sure as the car is on its 4th owner and he has no dyno sheets. What I do have is the mod list below, it looks to be quality parts, but I was hoping for some more knowledge/advice from you guys who know a ton more on these cars and the configurations they can be ran in. Also, anything to look out for? I know about the death whine, but not much else. How do these blocks hold up to the power/torque? Life expectancy, etc. Any help and advice is appreciated.

475hp/335 ft-lbs on 91 and 542hp/383 ft-lbs on E85

ETS- 3.5 intercooler, hard piping, 3.5 MAP adapter, 1.9 tubular manifold, open dump downpipe, test pipe, extreme exhaust. (I’m assuming all these parts are ETS)

COBB- Accessport V3

bypass valve

3-port ebcs

DW- 1300cc injectors

265 fuel pump

Driven Fab- oil catch can

Kelford- 214c camshafts and valve springs

Exedy- twin disk clutch HD with monoloc

Mishimoto- coolant hoses

Tomei- oil thermostat

killer MAP

Ef4 turbo

master cylinder upgrade

cam angle sensor

heat shield

H11 head studs

Cometic- head gasket
Old Feb 24, 2018, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question to you is why not bone stock and since you listed test pipe is this for track/race only? I've driven cars I bought fully modded and the Evo X is a blast to drive as is. I'm sure you have your reasons as to why you are looking at this particular one so be patient and cautious as it's on it's 4th owner. Since it's heavily modded you should ask who did the work and if they have receipts for it. Nothing worse than to have shoddy work and something bad happens especially now that it won't have any warranty on the engine.

To answer your questions. Overall reliable car and if you were looking at a bone stock car common problems are paint chipping(what car doesn't), AYC pump(early year evo x), clutch, tires, timing belt after 75k miles. I would offer you my evo x but I lost my old account I created here and have to wait 15 days before I can post it in the classified for sale. Good luck in finding one unless your dead set on this one, which if you are look over it as much as you can and bring someone that knows the evo to give you an opinion as well.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
4 owner Evo making that kind of power. Hope you have someone good that can wrench on it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by evo_mike1180
My question to you is why not bone stock and since you listed test pipe is this for track/race only? I've driven cars I bought fully modded and the Evo X is a blast to drive as is. I'm sure you have your reasons as to why you are looking at this particular one so be patient and cautious as it's on it's 4th owner. Since it's heavily modded you should ask who did the work and if they have receipts for it. Nothing worse than to have shoddy work and something bad happens especially now that it won't have any warranty on the engine.

To answer your questions. Overall reliable car and if you were looking at a bone stock car common problems are paint chipping(what car doesn't), AYC pump(early year evo x), clutch, tires, timing belt after 75k miles. I would offer you my evo x but I lost my old account I created here and have to wait 15 days before I can post it in the classified for sale. Good luck in finding one unless your dead set on this one, which if you are look over it as much as you can and bring someone that knows the evo to give you an opinion as well.
Thanks, Id like a modified one as I know I'll want it modify it, but I don't have that kind of time in my life any more. Figured I'd save on $, time and busted knuckles getting one that is already done well.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
4 owner Evo making that kind of power. Hope you have someone good that can wrench on it.
Thats what I was afraid of. I know it's been pushed, but it has low miles, maybe I'm being naive. I also have no idea what these cars are capable of handling and what the longevity is with said modifications.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
The numbers seem fair and in line for a stock block car. I'm similar mod-wise minus the cams and making about the same power safely on 94 as that does on 91, and it's been that way all last season and I drive a lot, and hard. Number of owners shouldn't matter as much as how the car was maintained and who/how the work was done and tuned. The pump gas tune making 335 ft-lbs is pretty damn safe (number wise). Torque kills these engines before HP, and a general rule of thumb is 400wtq is about the limit for the stock rods and 550-600whp for the stock cylinder walls/sleeves. These are dirty numbers, it can all vary of course car to car mod to mod tune to tune, it's just a guide. Personally I would take a safe tuned big turbo car over an aggressively tuned stock turbo car. The stock turbo has no problem making enough torque to kill a stock engine.

If you're set on this car and want to mod and tinker, before purchase, I suggest getting somebody that knows these cars really well to look it over. Perhaps even a good shop. If it checks out well, enjoy it It will be a nice change coming from a Subaru.
The following users liked this post:
spoolin919 (Feb 26, 2018)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by six40
The numbers seem fair and in line for a stock block car. I'm similar mod-wise minus the cams and making about the same power safely on 94 as that does on 91, and it's been that way all last season and I drive a lot, and hard. Number of owners shouldn't matter as much as how the car was maintained and who/how the work was done and tuned. The pump gas tune making 335 ft-lbs is pretty damn safe (number wise). Torque kills these engines before HP, and a general rule of thumb is 400wtq is about the limit for the stock rods and 550-600whp for the stock cylinder walls/sleeves. These are dirty numbers, it can all vary of course car to car mod to mod tune to tune, it's just a guide. Personally I would take a safe tuned big turbo car over an aggressively tuned stock turbo car. The stock turbo has no problem making enough torque to kill a stock engine.

If you're set on this car and want to mod and tinker, before purchase, I suggest getting somebody that knows these cars really well to look it over. Perhaps even a good shop. If it checks out well, enjoy it It will be a nice change coming from a Subaru.
Good, info, thanks.

I'm near ForceFed so I have a good shop close by, but the vehicle isn't close, so I'd have to get creative on working that out.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by six40

Goof info, thanks!

I have ForceFed right near me, I'd just have to negotiate how to get the car there for a PPI. The car is located nowhere near a good shop for these cars.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin919
Thanks, Id like a modified one as I know I'll want it modify it, but I don't have that kind of time in my life any more. Figured I'd save on $, time and busted knuckles getting one that is already done well.

Thats what I was afraid of. I know it's been pushed, but it has low miles, maybe I'm being naive. I also have no idea what these cars are capable of handling and what the longevity is with said modifications.
By what I read on here.. the car can handle quite a bit.. if done right. Longevity doesn't seem to be an issue... again, when modded properly. But I'd be real weary of a 4 owner Evo X. Doesn't add up imo.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry but I've GOT to add my .02 to this conversation. This is MY personal opinion and others may disagree but this is how "I" see it. ANYONE selling a modded car (especially heavily modded like this one) should be able to produce some, if not all of the maint. receipts. If not, WALK AWAY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! If you are patient, promise me, you'll find a good Evo for sale. The Evo is a fun car to drive and the more owers it's had, the more likely ONE of them beat the sh*t out of it. When I'm in the market for a used car (especially a performance car), I always ask the seller for maint. records. If they say, "I do most of my own maint," OR "I don't have them", I usually walk away OR offer much lower than what they are asking. I feel that car owners should keep good, detailed records of their vehicles because when it's time to sell it, having all that paperwork only HELPS you because it shows the buyer what has been done, when it was done, who did the work, AND shows that you, most likely, took pretty good care of the car.
In the end, it's your money but this car will mostly likely end up having problems sooner rather than later and TOO many hands have touched this vehicle for it to be worth it for me. Now, if you or a friend are mechanically inclined or you have a hookup who can get you OEM/aftermarket parts at cost, it may be worth the gamble but I think you should walk away and wait for a better Evo to become available.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
How much is the asking price??
Old Apr 5, 2018, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
+1 to Lando’s comment. I keep meticulous maintenance records and receipts in a folder book for resale purposes. And I’d expect a fellow responsible car enthusiast to do the same.

In in your case, buy a close to stock car as possible.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stick to as close to stock as possible my guy. Just recently had my '08 totaled. And it took me a good while of researching but you can find some out there that still aren't heavily modified.