Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need advice for first service appointment (maintenance)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for first service appointment (maintenance)

Hello everyone, New Evo owner here. It was suggested by other forum members to get everything to 100% before modding my 11 GSR (logical advice). I just bought the car with 40k miles 2 weeks ago. I am sadly not mechanically inclined as most members here, so I will be relying on my local Mitsu dealership for the service work. Looking for advice on what to ask for—ffluids to be changed, parts to be checked, etc. I want to ensure the car is as perfect mechanically as possible before doing anything aftermarket. Any input is much appreciated, thanks!
Old May 8, 2018, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you aren't sure if it's been done yet, you will want to change the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and rear diff fluid. I've always done that myself, it's maybe $50 in materials or so (don't quote me on that). Drain and fill drain and fill drain and fill and so on. Can be done on jackstands but a lift is ideal.

You can have the dealer do it but I'd imagine they charge a lot. The service manual recommends 15,000-30,000 for drivetrain fluid intervals. 15,000 for extreme conditions.

i would check the other usuall items. My original brembo pads were getting pretty low at 45k miles. Check coolant level, probably bleed or flush the brake fluid. Motor oil. When people know they are trading in a car soon they may get lazy on the service.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi. There are regional forums. Maybe make a thread asking if anyone can help out. You'd be surprised at how good this community is. I am sure they could help you at far better prices than the dealer. In my experience the Mitsubishi dealerships maintenance pricing rivals that of German brands, which is surprising to me. As far as fluids and stuff, that is another thing though. The dealership actually offered the cheapest pricing on fluids so maybe give them a shout to compare prices.

DeweyD gave some excellent advice imo.
Old May 9, 2018, 03:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd also consider asking the dealer if there are any records of the fluid already being changed. Perhaps someone did the 30k fluid change at a dealer, if so they should be able to pull those records.
Old May 10, 2018, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I lived in VT for 20 years and wouldn't take my car to Burlington Mitsubishi. I would recommend finding a good performance shop for service work - and there are some in the area even if they don't specialize in Mitsubishi. PM me and I can send you a recommendation.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Got any buddies that are into sports cars? Family members? Ask them where they get their car serviced at. Fluids you can buy yourself(especially if you want the best fluids at the best prices). Then bring all of those bottles to your chosen mechanic/garage.

Google or Yelp mechanic near me if word of mouth asking gets you no where.