Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

if you had $1000...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you had $1000...

Hello Everyone--new member here. Just picked up a stock 2011 Evo X GSR last week and have budget $1000 to blow in performance parts out of the gate (any more and the fiancee will murder me).

If you had $1000 to start, what would be your upgrade path? My thought was an inexpensive CBE and a AP3 (run the OTS stage 1 map for now). Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 08:38 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Wideband 02, tephramod v3, drop in air-filter, and a tune. Then next round would be exhaust, 3-port BCS, Injectors, Pump, E-85 tune. Ideally that would all be one "stage" but 1000 bucks wont get you there so i cut it in 2. Yah it sucks having to get 2 tunes, but for 1000 dollars i don't think you will get a better bang for your buck.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback--apparently i have a lot to learn as i had to Google the first 2 items you mentioned in your post, haha.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd go with Drop in Filter, 3-port BCS, and a pro tune. That really wakes the car up and increases the fun factor. From there you have to decide if you want to chase horsepower or handling.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Catback exhaust, then save your money for more mods later. Next round do an intake, test pipe, boost controller, and tune.

Do not buy an accessport. Waste of money.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 05:33 PM

@splattj As much as I love cars I’m not mechanically inclined—I usually have a local performance shop down the road install parts for my cars. They claim I will need an access port for them to perform the tune—is this the case? Also—anything in particular I should request when they tune it? Or just say “have at it” and let them work their magic? Sorry for the noob question, but I want to make sure they do it right.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mbrovt
@splattj As much as I love cars I’m not mechanically inclined—I usually have a local performance shop down the road install parts for my cars. They claim I will need an access port for them to perform the tune—is this the case? Also—anything in particular I should request when they tune it? Or just say “have at it” and let them work their magic? Sorry for the noob question, but I want to make sure they do it right.
Spend some time with the FAQ section and searching this topic. Tons of useful info out there! Out of all threads I see the most, this is one of the most common to pop up.

That being said you can get an e-tune (protune) and any experienced tuner/shop should have no problem getting you a reliable tune with the mods you have at the time of the tune. If that shop is telling you that you need a Cobb AP for a tune then you might want to consider switching up shops.

The consensus here is a drop in filter or air intake, electronic boost controller, and a test pipe, then the tune to properly align those mods and allow for max gains. That should all be around $1,000. You can always look into the fuel pump, injectors, and other mods down the line.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I did the AP and a CBE as my first "power" mods. A tune and a louder exhaust certainly makes the most noticeable difference. Car will pull harder at the high rpms and no one likes a quiet Evo. Just be aware of how you ultimately want to mod the car and don't buy the same thing twice. e.g. Don't buy a drop in filter just to buy an intake 2 months later like I did. Plan it out.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeweyD
I did the AP and a CBE as my first "power" mods. A tune and a louder exhaust certainly makes the most noticeable difference. Car will pull harder at the high rpms and no one likes a quiet Evo. Just be aware of how you ultimately want to mod the car and don't buy the same thing twice. e.g. Don't buy a drop in filter just to buy an intake 2 months later like I did. Plan it out.
I did the same thing lol, live and learn
Old May 1, 2018, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Mbrovt,

If you have any maintenance items to take care of, do those first. Your Evo First has to run “as it should” from the factory before ***** hilly slapping on performance items. Again. Maintenance first. Added performance later.

Im gonna say master the car in stock form. Once you’re at that level, you’ll know what to upgrade automatically.

But it to answer your question. If I had 1G. Knowing what I know now, I’d spend it on an initial tune(from a reputable Evo Tuner like English Racing, CBRD). That’s about 500 bucks. Approximately. Save the rest for tires and brakes.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:53 AM

Thanks Donny--that seems to make the most sense.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first $1000, replace any fluids that you do not know the age of.

Evo X is reliable, but its a stickler for fluids, stay on top of fluid changes, or do them a bit early.
Old May 9, 2018, 07:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Put it in the bank... use it for fluids in the future like Zergburger said. Don't mod... these cars are plenty fast off the show room floor
Old May 9, 2018, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

The $1,000 really depends on the following; are you ONLY going to spend $1k and that's it, no more mods ever, or is the $1k the beginning with more to follow.

If the former just get a tune and save up for tires.

If the latter I would spend a lot of time figuring out end goals. In the mean time I would get a catback that looks and sounds good.
Old May 9, 2018, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Don't mod... these cars are plenty fast off the show room floor
It's no fun struggling to beat V6 Camrys and 2.0T Accords though. Evo + mods = peace and joy in the world.

Quick Reply: if you had $1000...