Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Considering trading Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering trading Evo X

Hello all,

I hope to not get too much criticism but I've been going through phases where I feel like trading my Evo X. I own a 2014 WW Evo X GSR fully loaded from dealership currently with 30,000miles. I garage most of the time since my job provides a work truck. My evo has intake, tbe, and tune. I definitely enjoy how quick and nimble my car is but I've been curious about other options as I'm now I'm capable of affording more expensive vehicles. I'll first add I'm looking for family friendly (4dr), spacious, and powerful (or capable) while being reliable. I'm basically looking for a dad race/family car. Right off the top of my head, I've been wondering about ctsv, charger hellcat, and other vehicles within the price range. Honestly, am I being foolish to give up something unique or is there unique within the higher range I'm looking into? Has anyone made a switch? And how do you feel about other vehicles that obviously out perform our evos with little to no modding needed? I just need to hear opinions and experiences to give me an idea. Thanks all!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
uhh you already have a dad race/family car. How much does any of those others cost, double of the Evo, put that money in the Evo and it will outperform them, im just biased. Only thing i would maybe consider is an Audi, Rs6, Rs7 but thats a different live of money and i always wanted one.

If you are bored though, go ahead and try something new.
The following users liked this post:
nickyd (Aug 10, 2018)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by huzzle101
uhh you already have a dad race/family car. How much does any of those others cost, double of the Evo, put that money in the Evo and it will outperform them, im just biased. Only thing i would maybe consider is an Audi, Rs6, Rs7 but thats a different live of money and i always wanted one.

If you are bored though, go ahead and try something new.
I hear ya brotha. I just feel after putting double into the evo, will it really be reliable and daily. I feel the next tier of cars come already beefed up, reliable backed by warranty, and far more equipped for a family while providing the same race feel.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Just go test drive some of the cars you're thinking of. There's a bunch of options, like an S4, a Chevy SS. Both come with larger displacement right off the bat. The Charger/Challenger would be pigs, I'd guess, though fast in a straight line, but that's not my thing.

Or you could just get an actual family car. A midsize SUV. The kids will want to go camping at some point, or take a crap ton of their stuff on a road trip, or carry bicycles on the hitch. Some of those SUVs can be sporty and fast, something from Porsche or Jaguar. Even a Forester XT can feel fast for what it is. I would miss driving a light weight manual so second car is what I'd do.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Keep the X and buy whatever else you want. Trade in is hardly worth the money if the car is something you still enjoy.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ProdigyR
Hello all,

I hope to not get too much criticism but I've been going through phases where I feel like trading my Evo X. I own a 2014 WW Evo X GSR fully loaded from dealership currently with 30,000miles. I garage most of the time since my job provides a work truck. My evo has intake, tbe, and tune. I definitely enjoy how quick and nimble my car is but I've been curious about other options as I'm now I'm capable of affording more expensive vehicles. I'll first add I'm looking for family friendly (4dr), spacious, and powerful (or capable) while being reliable. I'm basically looking for a dad race/family car. Right off the top of my head, I've been wondering about ctsv, charger hellcat, and other vehicles within the price range. Honestly, am I being foolish to give up something unique or is there unique within the higher range I'm looking into? Has anyone made a switch? And how do you feel about other vehicles that obviously out perform our evos with little to no modding needed? I just need to hear opinions and experiences to give me an idea. Thanks all!
All those cars you mentioned are garbage compared to the EVO. You need to spend up to about 60k to get anything comparable.

The grass is usually greener, but in this case you have the best car for your needs, hands down and then some.

Enjoy it, you've got the best, trust me I know. I currently have a 2017 M2 Performance Edition and I still have a huge soft spot for the EVO over most cars. I almost sold this to get back into an EVO lol.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
All those cars you mentioned are garbage compared to the EVO. You need to spend up to about 60k to get anything comparable.

The grass is usually greener, but in this case you have the best car for your needs, hands down and then some.

Enjoy it, you've got the best, trust me I know. I currently have a 2017 M2 Performance Edition and I still have a huge soft spot for the EVO over most cars. I almost sold this to get back into an EVO lol.
He said CTSV and Hellcat, both exceed 60. Also, how do you like that M2? I've been eyeing getting one. It has a super nice stance, some calling it the best M, and the exhaust note are awesome. (Curious if the note I keep hearing around me is a modded M2, which I don't think it is, or a button toggle to make it sound that good on downshifts)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
He said CTSV and Hellcat, both exceed 60. Also, how do you like that M2? I've been eyeing getting one. It has a super nice stance, some calling it the best M, and the exhaust note are awesome. (Curious if the note I keep hearing around me is a modded M2, which I don't think it is, or a button toggle to make it sound that good on downshifts)
Yeah I know, I consider the EVO to be better than those two cars both from a fit and finish standpoint as well as an overall ownership approach. Hellcat is nice but man it chews up tires, and is a Dodge at the end of the day, and massively heavy.

I love the M2, I have the performance edition so it has a ridiculously good sounding exhaust that is a lot better / louder than the stock M2. It also has a button you can push to open it up even more which sounds even better, and is what I mostly use. Honestly the M2, though I can't speak to the regular M2's handling, but assume it is close (I have a revised / improved suspension) is a phenomenal car. The power is endless, pulls hard all the way to 7k and just feels fantastic when throwing it through anything. I feel it is essentially the German's version of the best mustang they could build. But it is very predictable. Rear end is telepathic and it just flies man. I love it, but as much as I do, I still have a HUGE fondness for the EVO, it's that good.

Downshifts pop and snarl, at least in the 2017 M2, I believe they changed the engine in the 2018 so I don't know how that sounds compared. Mine is a single turbo and sounds phenomenal imo

Last edited by Napalm_Enema; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (Jul 29, 2018)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Yeah I know, I consider the EVO to be better than those two cars both from a fit and finish standpoint as well as an overall ownership approach. Hellcat is nice but man it chews up tires, and is a Dodge at the end of the day, and massively heavy.

I love the M2, I have the performance edition so it has a ridiculously good sounding exhaust that is a lot better / louder than the stock M2. It also has a button you can push to open it up even more which sounds even better, and is what I mostly use. Honestly the M2, though I can't speak to the regular M2's handling, but assume it is close (I have a revised / improved suspension) is a phenomenal car. The power is endless, pulls hard all the way to 7k and just feels fantastic when throwing it through anything. I feel it is essentially the German's version of the best mustang they could build. But it is very predictable. Rear end is telepathic and it just flies man. I love it, but as much as I do, I still have a HUGE fondness for the EVO, it's that good.

Downshifts pop and snarl, at least in the 2017 M2, I believe they changed the engine in the 2018 so I don't know how that sounds compared. Mine is a single turbo and sounds phenomenal imo
Good stuff. Its sounding more and more appealing to me. I figured it was a stock exhaust as I hear guys holding 3rd and winding it out in residentials to downshift and give everyone within earshot that popping symphony. One of the better stock exhausts I've heard. Maybe the best since the Jag F Type R. I am going to go check one out in person and hopefully get a test drive. Funny how most cars can get test drives but the Evo was one I couldn't. RIdiculous. But yeah, the M2 for the price it seems hard to beat. Thanks for the insight.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Was just reading on reddit about how numb and a let down the electric steering on the M2 is. How does it feel compared to the X?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fafaforza
Was just reading on reddit about how numb and a let down the electric steering on the M2 is. How does it feel compared to the X?
lol what? The EVO feels 'differernt' due to the AYC but the steering on the M2, while electronic, feels amazing I would be hard pressed to point out anything that says 'disconnected'. You get road bump feedback, it feels heavy when slower, a bit lighter when faster. Honestly I have zero complaints about it. Handling wise I can do things that I used to do in the EVO faster, I would say the M2 eeks out a stock EVO MR overall handling, but if you got some better suspension bits on the EVO it'd be pretty even imo with just a power difference if stock.

Other positives on the M2 is the visibility is awesome all around, and it just feels nice and small and nimble. In the 50-60k range I really only like the M2 or maybe the Audi RS3 I think, though I've never driven one. Four doors, AWD, fairly light - I think it's a fair competitor for an upgraded 'EVO like' platform. I think the Cobra GT350 is drastically overpriced for what it is, likewise the Dodge offerings. Then Porsche drops off the list because anything you would actually drive when configured is tapping on 80-90k for a slow-ish Porsche like the 718.

In the end, I beyond highly recommend the M2 to anyone considering it. It's a fantastic car with great fit and finish and it is an excellent drivers car with visceral acceleration feelings / connected driver aspects. It's a damn good car for sure.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I have thought about this myself a number of times and below is my list... However im having a kid now so the extra payment money just went to getting my wife a new Explorer with 3rd row seating..... I love my EVO however, like you said... put that much money into it and then the car changes for both the better but for the worse too. the ATS was my go to car, 400+hp, vet suspension, recaros, looks nasty, great dual life from dad race and family car...

ATS-V
CST-V
Alfa Romeo Giulia
M3 - know a number of people who have gone X to M3 and haven't liked it.... but everyone is different
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'll add that I've had thoughts of straying too.. In addition to Old man / family Evo options for me also included:

Kia Stinger / Genesis G80
Infiniti Q50 S
(I still dream about a CTS-V wagon)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Don't discount the M2 for a family car, the back seats don't suck like a mustang and the trunk is huge.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a modified Lexus ISF and love it. Great dad / race car. They can be had for between 20-40 grand depending on year, mileage, etc.

Quick Reply: Considering trading Evo X