Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Engine/Clutch/Transmission Very Bad Rattle (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine/Clutch/Transmission Very Bad Rattle (Video inside)

I finished installing my new competition clutch (stage 3) the other day and I've been city driving it to break it in. it's at 160 something miles right now. yesterday, on the way back home, there was a bad sound coming from the engine bay. it occurs all the way 1st gear and 2-5 above 3k rpms. I opened the hood ay home and it has the noise at idle as well. a friend revved it a little so I can see where it's coming from, it feels like it's coming from under the valve cover. either it's something engine related or clutch related. Also, the idle sound goes away when the clutch is pressed, but it still has the same sound when the clutch is pressed and the engine is revved. the rattle is terrible and extremely loud. Any suggestions on what this could be? a bad clutch install? something wrong in the engine internals? any help is good help

video:
Old Aug 16, 2018, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently trying to diagnose a VERY similar sound on my MR.
At first I thought it was a cracked exh manifold, but upon inspection it seems like its coming from under the valve cover.
possible issues that I have come across in my research:
1. exhaust mani/gaskets
2. timing chain issues (idler bearing failure, etc.)
3. broken torque damper springs

im pretty lost too tho
Old Aug 17, 2018, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Zergburger
I am currently trying to diagnose a VERY similar sound on my MR.
At first I thought it was a cracked exh manifold, but upon inspection it seems like its coming from under the valve cover.
possible issues that I have come across in my research:
1. exhaust mani/gaskets
2. timing chain issues (idler bearing failure, etc.)
3. broken torque damper springs

im pretty lost too tho

post a video off your car. The MRs are known to make a chattering noise its normal. However, I would want to hear what yours sounds like to tell you if that is the right sound.

As for the original post, I would just go over everything again and see what happens. yes i know thats a PITA but its your best bet right now
Old Aug 17, 2018, 07:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by GGevoX_915
I finished installing my new competition clutch (stage 3) the other day and I've been city driving it to break it in. it's at 160 something miles right now. yesterday, on the way back home, there was a bad sound coming from the engine bay. it occurs all the way 1st gear and 2-5 above 3k rpms. I opened the hood ay home and it has the noise at idle as well. a friend revved it a little so I can see where it's coming from, it feels like it's coming from under the valve cover. either it's something engine related or clutch related. Also, the idle sound goes away when the clutch is pressed, but it still has the same sound when the clutch is pressed and the engine is revved. the rattle is terrible and extremely loud. Any suggestions on what this could be? a bad clutch install? something wrong in the engine internals? any help is good help

video:
https://youtu.be/k-56OmqKm0M
If the noise changes when you press the clutch in i think thats pretty telling. Since you just did the clutch job too, that's probably where i would start troubleshooting.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOX84
post a video off your car. The MRs are known to make a chattering noise its normal. However, I would want to hear what yours sounds like to tell you if that is the right sound.

As for the original post, I would just go over everything again and see what happens. yes i know thats a PITA but its your best bet right now
I appreciate your willingness to help.

I guess i should explain more about my issue, the sound is intermittent. I have noticed a few things cause it to pop up and get VERY noisy.
It comes in after hard pulls or a decent amount of boosting--even if not full throttle.
sometimes noise pops up when cold starting.
Noise is present regardless of transmission position, P-R-N-D, does not matter.
It seems to resonate with certain RPMs, so i can infact get the noise to go away by raising RPM slightly (in some situations)

Video to follow.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Zergburger
I appreciate your willingness to help.

I guess i should explain more about my issue, the sound is intermittent. I have noticed a few things cause it to pop up and get VERY noisy.
It comes in after hard pulls or a decent amount of boosting--even if not full throttle.
sometimes noise pops up when cold starting.
Noise is present regardless of transmission position, P-R-N-D, does not matter.
It seems to resonate with certain RPMs, so i can infact get the noise to go away by raising RPM slightly (in some situations)

Video to follow.
OKay a few more things,

How long has it been since your last fluid change?
How long do you run the car before doing pulls?
what mode are you doing them in?
what mode do you drive around in?