Question about brakes - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Question about brakes

Old Sep 15, 2018, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Question about brakes

I replaced the front brake pads with OEM Brembo about a year ago. I'm seeing now, with only about 12k miles on them, that they're already close to scraping the wear indicators!
I'm doing track events considerably more this year than I ever have before. I think I have about 6 on these front pads. I realize most people say not to buy the OEM Brembo after the factory pads that came with the car wear out. I also realize that I'm going to enough road courses for HPDE and track days that I should be running track pads for those events. I'm also going to start trying autocross, which is what leads me to questions.
I have OEM MR 2 piece rotors on front, resurfaced with the new pads a year ago. I have Centric rear rotors, also with new OEM rear pads about 7 months ago.

Do you swap the brake pads at all 4 wheels every time you go to the track? I've heard some people only put track pads on the front, I suppose for time savings of changing so many pads back and forth each time.
When I (inevitably) autocross, should I be swapping on the track pads? Or, should I get a sort of "hybrid" pad and use that for both street daily driving and autocross? Then, the track pads would only be used on road courses.
My OEM front 2 piece rotors look to have another 20k miles or so on them, then I'll have to replace them. Is a 2 piece rotor replacement really worthwhile for tracking, or is 1 piece just fine? I see mixed feelings when I do an internet search and read various EVO forums. The cost of 1 piece Centric rotors is substantially less than the 2 piece Girodisc.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 06:31 PM

I recommend putting on Ferodo DS2500's, they lasted longer than my stock pads, by a lot, and I don't change them for the track. I think my rotors are wearing out faster than the pads!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rkevo View Post
I recommend putting on Ferodo DS2500's, they lasted longer than my stock pads, by a lot, and I don't change them for the track. I think my rotors are wearing out faster than the pads!
I read mixed opinions on the Ferodo DS2500's when I did the last front brake pads change a year ago. Some people were saying they dont perform quite as well as the OEM Brembo (which are actually a Ferodo pad). It's good to hear they last longer, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.