Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Comp clutch stage 3 suddenly grabs smoother

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:41 PM
UxC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comp clutch stage 3 suddenly grabs smoother

So I posted this on reddit, not sure which will give a better response. I have a 2015 Evo X GSR with 27,916 miles. Here's what I posted. Any ideas would be great.

So I replaced my stock clutch with a Competition Clutch Stage 3 almost 14000 miles ago. It's a much heavier clutch than stock, which was suggested due to the mods I have done to the car.

I had the stock flywheel resurfaced and put the clutch in a year ago. It's been a stiffer and rougher ride with it, as in if I don't get the accelerator/clutch pedal ratio right while going from a stop to driving, the clutch would shake the car until it was completely released, at which point it would grab and go.

Recently, like.. This past week, it started shifting smoother and not shaking the car. It shifts 100 times smoother even without the accelerator/clutch ratio, at which point, it catches and accelerates. It doesn't feel like it's grabbing as well as it used to, but it accelerates without slipping.

I've put it in 5th gear and floored it to see if it would slip, and it just slowly accelerates as it should. I'm just concerned that the smoother shifting and grabbing might be because it's wearing down to the point of needing replaced again.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Old Oct 4, 2018, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
are you sure you had it done right initially, and this just sort of didn't 'click into place' after some miles? I'd check your setup if it feels that different, perhaps it is fine but hard to say without laying hands on it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My comp stage 3 did get less grabby than when I initially installed. Mine did not take as many miles as yours. I would guess it was around 3000.

I say if it’s not slipping, don’t worry about it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 09:07 PM
UxC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
are you sure you had it done right initially, and this just sort of didn't 'click into place' after some miles? I'd check your setup if it feels that different, perhaps it is fine but hard to say without laying hands on it.
Yeah everything was installed correctly. Even took it to a shop to double check when I noticed one of my transmission mount bolts was missing.

Originally Posted by ravenjam
My comp stage 3 did get less grabby than when I initially installed. Mine did not take as many miles as yours. I would guess it was around 3000.

I say if it’s not slipping, don’t worry about it.
It's a hundred times less grabby than it was last week. Hopefully it's something that won't go bad anytime soon lol. But yeah, like you said, if it isn't slipping, I'm not gonna be too concerned.

Last edited by UxC; Oct 6, 2018 at 03:47 PM.