Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buying a low mileage 2008 GSR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a low mileage 2008 GSR

Hey there,
I was wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions I have about buying a Canadian 2008 GSR with only 50,000kms (about 31,000 miles)? One owner car in immaculate condition, 100% stock. The owner sold it through auction.

The dealer selling this car has no service records whatsoever.
The car proof report has LEFT REAR CORNER damage record for $618 in 2010, a THEFT FROM, VEHICLE claim for $1,162 in 2009 and a COLLISION LEFT SIDE in 2017 for $3,416.

If you were to buy a 10 year old Evo X with no history, what would be some big ticket items to get replaced ASAP? I downloaded the owners manual and have pasted the 30,000 mile service guide below. is there anything else not on here that I should be replacing? belts & hoses etc?

Lastly, does anyone know how much a Mitsubishi dealer charges for a major service? I'm trying to use this price as part of the negotiation.

Thanks in advance

Recommended past maintenance
30000 miles or at 30 months

Show All Items
ROTATE TIRES
CHANGE ENGINE OIL
CHANGE ENGINE OIL
REPLACE ENGINE OIL FILTER
CHECK FUEL SYSTEM
CHECK FUEL HOSES
REPLACE ENGINE AIR CLEANER FILTER
REPLACE ENGINE DRIVE BELTS (AC/PS/WP/ALT)
CHK/SVC EXHAUST SYSTEM
CHANGE MANUAL TRANSAXLE/TRANSMISSION
CHANGE SST TWIN CLUTCH TRANSMISSION OIL
REPLACE SST TWIN CLUTCH TRANSMISSION OIL
CHANGE TRANSFER CASE OIL
CHECK DIFFERENTIAL RESERVE TANK
CHANGE ENGINE COOLANT
INSPECT COOLING SYSTEM HOSES (RADIATOR & HEATER)
INSPECT DISC BRAKE PADS & ROTORS
CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM HOSES
INSPECT BALL JOINT GREASE SEALS
INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE GREASE SEALS
INSPECT SUSPENSION SYSTEM
INSPECT DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
CHANGE REAR AXLE
CHANGE REAR AXLE
REPLACE AIR PURIFIER FILTER (CABIN AIR FILTER)
CHANGE ENGINE COOLANT

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
there is an issue with the timing chain from that year

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/...-so-much-good/
The following users liked this post:
Danny_B (Oct 31, 2018)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't think there is any particular item that you MUST get done asap because the car is 10 years old. These aren't 90s cars with timing belts. Maybe get the coolant flushed and drive belt changed if they have never been done. Replace the tires if they are originals but I highly doubt it.

That said, I'd carefully look at every rubber part there is with a toothpick. Drive belt, suspension bushings, hoses, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Call your closest dealer and ask how much a "30k" severe schedule service is. I'd also ask for a transmission/transfer case/differential fluid change quote given the age/mileage. You're probably looking at close to $1,000 for both.

Also, the AYC pump is a problem across all years, so much so that they extended the warranty to 10yr/100,00mi. That 2008 just passed 10 years so check the pump for external corrosion. Usually they corrode so badly that they fail internally due to the way they (aren't) sealed and the only real fix is to relocate the pump into the trunk. That's another $1200 - $2500 when it goes (DIY - Dealer prices)

Unless you're getting a heck of a deal, I'd rather find a newer car with higher mileage and no accidents, preferably from someone with great maintenance records.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 08:06 AM

Thank you all for your help, it's very good information.
I am looking at the car in person tomorrow so I will keep you updated on how the negotiation went.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:42 PM

One more question - I keep reading that it is advisable to replace the fuel pump relay when you up the boost. Is this also necessary on a 100% stock car? Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
There have been a few revisions of the fuel pump relay, including a recall on them on certain years at different times.
Here's a lengthy writeup that explains it in depth: http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/...evo-xralliart/

You can check the color to see what you have pretty quickly:

8627A030 Black (Early/Replace)
8627A011 Green (Updated but not recommended)
8627A024 Blue (Probably OK)
8627A049/MR122409 Orange (Latest and greatest)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 07:39 AM

Well I made the 6hr round trip to see the car yesterday and here are my impressions. External & interior condition are both in very good shape. However the car had some electrical issues that I hope will be an easy fix. The salesman said they just replaced the battery 1hr before I arrived (I checked the date on the battery and it says 11/18) and since then the central locking, radio, mirror adjustment do not work. Hopefully a fuse, but kind of a bummer for me to show up and the car already has some issues.

Test drive was ok, however I noticed the idle was a bit rough, I mentioned this and he said they would fix it. I got home and searched this forum and can see that it is a common issue, hopefully as simple as this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-my-idle.html

My plan is to call all 10 Mitzi dealers in BC and give them the VIN and see if this car has ever been into them for service. If I can find some history on it, I will buy it. if not, I'll pass.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Those $ amounts (for collisions) are very small so don't seem significant amounts here. In Canada.
maintenance records are important, but that said, even the best maintained car can have a huge expense after purchase,
if the car looks good and there's little rust then I'd take it to the dealership and have them assess it before purchase.
What's the asking price?

Old Nov 6, 2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by coryl
Those $ amounts (for collisions) are very small so don't seem significant amounts here. In Canada.
maintenance records are important, but that said, even the best maintained car can have a huge expense after purchase,
if the car looks good and there's little rust then I'd take it to the dealership and have them assess it before purchase.
What's the asking price?
Hey,
yeah I am not at all concerned with those dollar amounts for the previous repairs, body shop labour is crazy expensive. The car in question is here https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/ctd...736945788.html and I did manage to call some mitzi dealers in the Vancouver area and verify all warranty repairs and some recent services.

One owner from new, only did about 5,000kms (3,000 miles) per year and rust free. I don't mind sharing this information now as I have decided against it, it's a great car for someone, but I won't spend $24k on a 10 year old car. I'd rather pay more for a newer model if that makes sense.