Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How much can I expect from a full part out?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much can I expect from a full part out?

As title says, would like to say good bye to my 2008 Evo X GSR 97k. Its been a long journey and Im just a bit tired. I am also a dad now and space is becoming important.

Clutch just gave out and I think I'm done with the repairs. I dont have time now nor extra money. I dont have many mods, intake, injectors, FMIC, Exhaust, MX1 Cams. Rest are OEM which are fully operational without issues. How can I calculate / negotiate prices for the parts? Is there a list of commonly bought parts that fail that people stock up on? I currently just owe around 6k and would like to at least break even or pay it off with a part out is this feasible ?

Last edited by SlickDude; Dec 19, 2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
IMO It will take a LONG, long time to part out the full evo. It's not because you can't take it apart fast, but because it's hard to find the buyers for most of the parts. It will also take a while to get the right offers on the parts. The chassis will take up space in the garage which could be used to store toys and supplies for the baby.

Full part outs are only a good idea if your car has been hit so badly that you can only make money off its skeleton because repairing it would cost more than buying another working evo of the same year and similar mileage.

How bad is the clutch slipping and is it completely destroyed? The reason I ask is because I would first try to sell it as is stating to all buyers that the clutch needs work. You would still make most of your money. You can also try and see what carmax and the stealership would give you. Parting out a car that is mostly functioning properly seems like the harder, less rewarding route to take.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pal215
IMO It will take a LONG, long time to part out the full evo. It's not because you can't take it apart fast, but because it's hard to find the buyers for most of the parts. It will also take a while to get the right offers on the parts. The chassis will take up space in the garage which could be used to store toys and supplies for the baby.

Full part outs are only a good idea if your car has been hit so badly that you can only make money off its skeleton because repairing it would cost more than buying another working evo of the same year and similar mileage.

How bad is the clutch slipping and is it completely destroyed? The reason I ask is because I would first try to sell it as is stating to all buyers that the clutch needs work. You would still make most of your money. You can also try and see what carmax and the stealership would give you. Parting out a car that is mostly functioning properly seems like the harder, less rewarding route to take.

I appreciate the advice, I really do. The clutch is completely shot, my pedal went to the floor thinking it was the Master Cylinder again which was recalled and replaced. Took it to dealership and they said it was fine but needed a new clutch kit. I did get a offer few min ago from posting in another area about selling the car as is. I would have to research as to how to sell the car whole since its still financed and I do not have the title.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah if you don't have the time to replace the clutch then you don't have the time to deal with a full partout. Imagine all the trips you'd have to make to the post office, and all the flake craigslist and facebook people that would not show up, or worse string you along about meeting on a Saturday morning, no wait, at noon, hold up, I'm just a bit late, make it 3, oh, what? No, I know it's 5PM but I'm just leaving home now.

Better to sell it with needing a new clutch, or try getting some help from local folks and knock it out in your driveway in a day. Clutch jobs on Evos aren't that big of a deal anyway, either for you or the buyer. Don't part it out.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
If the rest of the car is in good condition and only needs a clutch, I'm sure you could easily sell the car for payoff. Get the exact amount and if someone wants to buy the car, bring them to the bank and have them pay off the loan and the bank will transfer the title. A lot less effort to just selling the car whole and not taking all that time parting out. Just my opinion. You should easily be able to get payoff if all the car needs is a clutch. If you were in FL, I'd pay your loan off for sure and fix the clutch.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
If you fixed the clutch you could sell the car for a lot more. Penny wise, pound foolish. If you can't test drive the car then you can't ask for how much this car is worth by a long shot. Pay the clutch repair (about 800) then get it polished up and for sale. You'll make back the cost of the repair + more and be in a better position to be out from the car.

Good luck, but think overall / big picture - not test drive - no cashola
The following users liked this post:
llllBULLSEYE (Dec 21, 2018)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 07:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you think replacing a clutch is a hassle then you have no idea whats coming for you with a partout.
I did partout as a full time job for 2 years did 3 crashed E36 M3 and couple of other cars. Its a huge hassle all day texting and people calling and making trips to
meet up and shipping, cause obviously most people want to meet or have the part delivered. If you want everyone to come to you it will take months to a year to get rid of everything
Also having to remove the tranny and engine yourself is a big job. .
I suggest put the clutch job on a credit card and then sell the car at below market value for a fast sale.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
If you’re short on time and money, sell the car as is. You should easily get 6k for it. Could possible get 8-9k for it IMO, even with the clutch out.

But take others advice. Pay to get it towed to a shop. Replace the clutch and CMC. You’ll prolly spend at most $1500 after it’s all said and done. But you should be able to sell the car for 16k IMO, worst case scenario. Especially if you clean the car up really nice. It just makes sense to pay for it to get towed and fixed and be able to double your money.

Do not part out.