Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Would you buy Modded X or buy stock one?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would you buy Modded X or buy stock one?

What would you do? I'm looking at the Build evo, 2011 - for 26k which are listed below or get 2015 Evo X with 14k miles for 31k, Stock. which means start fresh ---> Confused.
I'm still doing a re-search about moded X below, if that's true or not, how well this build is...is that true it can handle 600hp- That be my goal, not looking to make more power.
It be a weekend car. no winters.

5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION! OVER 415+ HP ON E85! $25K+ IN RECEIPTS!
FULLY BUILT MOTOR ! GARRETT GTX 3076R TURBO!

ADDITIONAL UPGRADES:

EVO X Fully sleeved engine (800hp capable)
Manley I beam Rods
CP Pistons
ARP 625 head studs
ARP Main studs
Cosworth Headgasket
GSC Intake and Exhaust valves
Driven Fabrication MIVEC Billet Cam Gear housing

AMS Front Mount Intercooler

AMS Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes

AMS Cold Air intake

Garrett GTX 3076R Bolt on Turbo

AMS Widemouth Downpipes

Perrin Dual Exhaust

Upgraded Fuel System

Twin Disc Clutch

AMS Shifter Base Bushings, Gate Bushings and Under Hood Bushings
Old Jan 29, 2019, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I would stay away from other people’s builds. But that’s just me. For one I don’t know the condition the car is in. It can be in the greatest condions or it can be about ready to blow. Some of the things you can however if you’re really interested is if the car is local to you go out and drive it. See how it feels. and also do a leak down/ compression test. Also, if you’re trying to learn and grow you would want to modify the car yourself. Might just be me. But it’s satisfying learning as you go.

My best advice however would be to be patient. Keep looking. There’s times you’ll think “this is the one I need”. Trust me there will be others that come. And I can tell you based off experience. Be patient. Ultimately the decision is yours. Other can chime in and help you.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
415hp on E85 with a built motor and a 30r? LOL

Stick with a stock, or close to stock one.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
A well documented built car that gets a good pre-purchase inspection can/will save you THOUSANDS over starting from scratch.

That said, for me, most of the fun is planning a build, doing the work, and getting to experience the difference the mods make. Not only that, but there are so many different ways to build a car out that making drive/handle/accelerate the way YOU want it to is truly a personal preference that you likely won't achieve buying a built car.

If you're inclined to take a car to a tuner shop and give them a blank check to get the car to make XXX hp or something then just buy the built one. If you're looking for something to wrench on and enjoy the process (highs AND lows) then get as stock a car as you can find!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Buying stock is always better unless it was modded than put back to stock. I would go with the 15' as you should have less headaches maintaining the car. Trust me, you don't want a Evo that's nightmare. Been there done that.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I've decided to check the fully stock with 14k miles, one owner. thanks guys, i've been there-done that, as well, buying a modified evo can be sometimes a pain in the ***, for example, hacked up wiring, etc... most of the things i can do it myself. thanks again!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, to bring this thread back. But what do you guys think about rebuilt motors?

Looking to buy a fully loaded 2014 GSR. But the owner blew up the motor and it is currently in the shop being "rebuilt". He stated the car is near stock, lower + upper intercooler pipes, and ETS intercooler (if i recall correctly). Will this void warranty? Do you think the car will still be okay in the long run?

Thanks