Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fixing brake clicking noise and "Brake System Service Required" warning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Fixing brake clicking noise and "Brake System Service Required" warning

Recently my Evo had been experiencing a weird clicking noise from the rear passenger-side. 3~4 weeks later, the noise worsened and the "Brake System Service Required" warning light came on. I suspect the warning light is on whenever the ECU detects a stuck brake caliper. So I took the car to dealership and they noticed dust accumulation on the calipers. Also brake fluid was low.

The brake service was straightforward. They cleaned the dust, lubricated the caliper pins, bled the fluid, and resurfaced the pads and rotors. The clicking sound and warning light indeed went away.

Fork me idiot For my information, the technician said, the brakes should be serviced every 15k miles, and the fluid bled every 30k miles. (Roughly annually and every 2 years.) I understand the Brembo brakes are very expensive and I was lucky that the caliper wasn't stuck too badly, else it could be gone. I forgot about them and didn't service brakes for 2 years or so, which is bad. I will remember that now.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea the Brake Service light is 90% of the time low brake fluid. There is a sensor in the reservoir and once it starts to get past it, it pops the light. Sometimes if its getting low, if you go WOT, it will make the fluid slosh around and make the light come on for a second.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
And the low fluid is usually due to excessive pad wear as it's a closed system. Never add brake fluid when your pads are low or you'll have a huge mess to clean up when you compress the pistons for new pads!